cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gander Outdoors

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anyone have any ideas about Camping World buying Gander Outdoors. I know they purchased them in 2019 and changed the CW in Mesa to Gander Outdoors. I noticed they have now changed it BACK to Camping World. Seems like an expense that didn't have to be made. Anyone like Gander better than CW. Prices mdse etc???...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG
17 REPLIES 17

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
down home wrote:

Been through Tekonsha many times and Marshal, the whole area. We bought many baked godson the honor system from the Amish just est of Coldwater area. Wife's family, the cemeteries are full of Relatives and some to distant to have met from near FT Wayne to Coldwater eat into Ohio and beyond Her Mom's People near Battle Creek, all had large farms now sub divisions I think. Traveled many dirt roads for pheasants and deer thick as flies. Asparagus at just about every corner of the roads and along them in places. Wife sisters born in Marshal.The fair in Marshal was outstanding up until 0 years ago.

I went to the Calhoun Country fair (Marshall) many times. Like it better than the State Fair (Detroit) in fact.

Tekonsha is the home of Tekonsha Engineering of the Prodigy P-3 brake controller... The company started with I was in high school.. I tried to date the founder's daughter.

Later a class mate of mine was CEO.

Now it's Barjan if I'm not mistaken.

Ah yes.

The Tekon Truck Stop (Old US-27 and M-60) was one of if not the First Big Truck Plaza where a Driver could get food, Fuel, some truck service and even a haricut.. Another of my classmates. his father was one of the original owners.. Today that's a T/A.

If you knew where to look you could see the farm i Grew up on from I-69. but some of the taller buildings are no more.. Pines still live though (Pine View Farm).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
erniee wrote:
If a person has to belong to the stupid presidents club to get a โ€œdiscount โ€œ on their overinflated products, I will pass

There are many businesses which give discounts to "Members" Sam's and Costco among them.

Beyond that no comment

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
If a person has to belong to the stupid presidents club to get a โ€œdiscount โ€œ on their overinflated products, I will pass
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
down home wrote:
When Gander Mountain was under the original Owners, variety, quality and price beat all the competition. We stopped at the Coldwater, Michigan, I think store many times. Still have a couple of decades old reels.But like the place in Coldwater that my wife worked at as a teen, making floats, everyone started buying Chinese. We tried to buy the float mfg but the kids who took over, well I don't know who owns it now and....

COLDWATETR!!!

Been there many times. My dad worked in Coldwater. I grew up a bit north (Tekonsha) about 4 miles from Exit 25 on I-69 Mother worked in Marshall, MI (still farther north) and did a consult for Progressive Dynamics one time (she was well trained in computers of the day)

Did not know they had a Gardner Outdoors though. Must have been after I left. Farm I grew up on is not a propane Tank Farm. (Distributor).

Been through Tekonsha many times and Marshal, the whole area. We bought many baked godson the honor system from the Amish just est of Coldwater area. Wife's family, the cemeteries are full of Relatives and some to distant to have met from near FT Wayne to Coldwater eat into Ohio and beyond Her Mom's People near Battle Creek, all had large farms now sub divisions I think. Traveled many dirt roads for pheasants and deer thick as flies. Asparagus at just about every corner of the roads and along them in places. Wife sisters born in Marshal.The fair in Marshal was outstanding up until 0 years ago.
I enjoyed all the farm equipment horses and so on. A farm just south of the Ohio line wife's Great Grand Father settle about 1850. Part of the Underground Railroad,with secret passages etc it still stands but moved across the road an renovated and changed near the cemetery.
Letters about wolves bears,Indians and trading bread for honey that Indians strained through deer hides, full of deer hair and discarded. and so on.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well as for the indoor shooting range.... Last time I fired a gun the poor target did not stand a chance (i'm a decent shot. also a cold shot) but I would rather let my former co-workers carry the guns.... Official orders require they do so.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

COLDWATETR!!!

Someone say Coldwater? I was born there in 1953, but gone by the time I was 2 (dad's job moved him around a lot).

I know it's just business, but the esteemed Mr. Lemonis bailed on a Gander Mountain in Lake Mary, Fl. after pledging it would remain open. Local media reported he couldn't negotiate a lower lease on the building so bye bye. A shame too, that store had the absolute best indoor firearms range ever. Could shoot everything but a cruise missile! Great staff, very safe, and a virtual range to boot. Now it's an At Home store. ....:(

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
down home wrote:
When Gander Mountain was under the original Owners, variety, quality and price beat all the competition. We stopped at the Coldwater, Michigan, I think store many times. Still have a couple of decades old reels.But like the place in Coldwater that my wife worked at as a teen, making floats, everyone started buying Chinese. We tried to buy the float mfg but the kids who took over, well I don't know who owns it now and....

COLDWATETR!!!

Been there many times. My dad worked in Coldwater. I grew up a bit north (Tekonsha) about 4 miles from Exit 25 on I-69 Mother worked in Marshall, MI (still farther north) and did a consult for Progressive Dynamics one time (she was well trained in computers of the day)

Did not know they had a Gardner Outdoors though. Must have been after I left. Farm I grew up on is not a propane Tank Farm. (Distributor).

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
This evening I though I would look at their online catalog,
for hunting and fishing. Practically nothing, two surplus pistols of poor quality. I was referred to Camping World at one point.
A few collapsing chairs and so on.
I would have sworn we got a packed last year some time.
it would appear they are going out of business with the find a store feature showing just a very few in the upper Midwest, west of Lake Michigan. I can see no profitability in the way it was ruin.

This is what happened to last Owner's mismanagement of Sears and K Mart. SEARS, once the two world leaders in selection, quality, warranty and Customer loyalty. On Saturday or anytime we wanted anything we knew where to find it from fishing boats and motors to fishing tackle firearms,too most especially. The Craftsman; brand was found in every Tradesman and Builders tool box as well as every Race Car builder and team and homeowner!No hassle warranty we would buy nothing else.
Everything for the home and farm and mine was found at Sears.
Dad said when he was stationed at Cap Forest a Basic Trainer. things weer ordered from Sears and there in three days and if it was urgent a truck was sent To Chattanooga or Nashville for it.Takes a lot of tools on a base.
Saturday mornings even in the early 70s,it was a trip to Sears or Friday evening for tackle and lures and such or ammunition and my wife bought many clothes.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The one in FLint. MI.. Started as Gardner as I recall.

CLOSED.

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
At campfires, at the many RV Parks, we have visited, 95% probably,but none objected as talk turned to hunting and fishing. Everyone hunted and or fished.
People who RV are outdoor types in general is our experience.
The two types of stores mesh real well, if properly stocked with variety and prices and service are good! Problem is there is not one nears us and we have near $400.00 on a merchandise card and don't need anymore RV merchandise. Went to the website,and one was supposedly in Knoxville. Drove all that way and not hide nor hair of it or another site listed by by Sarrie? GPS says nearest is over 700 miles away in Ohio.
Not real logical sicne90% of Tennesseans hunt and fish.Now that the same group who owns Bass Pro and Cabelas is buying Sportsmans Warehouse, no competition to speak of. Sale is supposed to be completed by fall. If Marcus puts someone who lives and eats in the outdoors,so to speak,Someone who knows what Hunters, Trappers,Boaters,Kayakers,Canoeists,and Fishermen, and Backpakcers want, a huge fortune awaits!
One Store Mgr or a Corporate computer operating on numbers does fill the needs and wants of the many different Customers, at would evolve into a large store,kind of like Sears used to be. you can't insist on a certain profit margines regardless of quality, seasons change and so forth.not everyone wants the same do-dad or gadget...Variety,quality and service means returning Customers and huge profits.
Remember when every Saturday we went to Sears for...everything under the sun?

Agree on the potential opportunity with Bass Pro buying both Cabelas and Sportsmanโ€™s Warehouse. I donโ€™t know where youโ€™re located, but there used to be a Gander off I-40 in Jackson, TN. I havenโ€™t driven through there in a couple years so it may not be open anymore.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

down_home
Explorer
Explorer

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I bought from Gander when they were mail order, maybe 1 or 2 stores. They had pretty good clothing for elk hunting. When they opened stores on the Texas Gulf Coast they didn't have a clue. They had muskie lures and spinning reels, that few here use. I would shop their sales but nothing else. They truly didn't know their customer.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Bruce_Brown
Same owner, different name. My neice used to run a Gander Outdoors. It was a very profitable store but there was no place for RVs, so when they added RVs to the name the store was closed.

It's obvious RVs are the #1 priority, the "Outdoors" part has taken a waaay back seat.

I used to stop at Gander Outdoors on a regular basis, I rarely stop at Gander Outdoors and RV. The closest one to us has even taken the "Outdoors" part off the sign. It simply says Gander RV.

They had a great opportunity to diversify, it seems that isn't really in the business plan. All campers all the time, and a couple of hunting and fishing things too.

We haven't bought a new camper in about 12 years, I buy hunting stuff all the time. Business opportunity lost, Bass Pro now gets my $$$.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
At campfires, at the many RV Parks, we have visited, 95% probably,but none objected as talk turned to hunting and fishing. Everyone hunted and or fished.
People who RV are outdoor types in general is our experience.
The two types of stores mesh real well, if properly stocked with variety and prices and service are good! Problem is there is not one nears us and we have near $400.00 on a merchandise card and don't need anymore RV merchandise. Went to the website,and one was supposedly in Knoxville. Drove all that way and not hide nor hair of it or another site listed by by Sarrie? GPS says nearest is over 700 miles away in Ohio.
Not real logical sicne90% of Tennesseans hunt and fish.Now that the same group who owns Bass Pro and Cabelas is buying Sportsmans Warehouse, no competition to speak of. Sale is supposed to be completed by fall. If Marcus puts someone who lives and eats in the outdoors,so to speak,Someone who knows what Hunters, Trappers,Boaters,Kayakers,Canoeists,and Fishermen, and Backpakcers want, a huge fortune awaits!
One Store Mgr or a Corporate computer operating on numbers does fill the needs and wants of the many different Customers, at would evolve into a large store,kind of like Sears used to be. you can't insist on a certain profit margines regardless of quality, seasons change and so forth.not everyone wants the same do-dad or gadget...Variety,quality and service means returning Customers and huge profits.
Remember when every Saturday we went to Sears for...everything under the sun?