cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Albany NY to Newport, VT

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Planning ahead for a summer trip...Looking for the best route from Albany NY to Newport VT I will coming from Al via Harrisburg Pa...
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo
15 REPLIES 15

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Haste Maker wrote:
Looked at the route 7 and looked good to me, I am not an Interstate people if I don't have use one. Can you tell me about this road, is it hilly & many curves?

....we have been driving 7 once or twice a year for the past 40+ years...it is winding (curvy) and hilly, but not excessively mountainous. Lots of stop-and-go. Very slow going. If you encounter construction (in summer), the occasional lineups could be a real PITA. If you want to sight-see, great. If you want time-savings, shoot right over to I-91 using the I-90 just south of Albany.....the 91 will take you practically right into Newport, VT all the way from New Haven, Hartford, or Springfield...very light traffic and great scenery north of Claremont/Lebanon on the 91 all the way to the Canadian border (Newport is practically on the Canadian border). There are campgrounds all along the I-91 from Northampton (two KOAs) all the way to Newport (Tree Corners campground a couple of miles from Newport has no less that 2 heated swimming pools, at site wi-fi and 50 amp service for very big rigs). Super restaurant in Newport called East Side Pub. I've been eating at that restaurant since it was called "The Landing", way back in the early '70s.

On edit: ....the alternative, is to drive the I-87 bypass around Albany (we do this twice a year, every year for the past 8 years) not much traffic after 9:30 AM and before 4 PM. Continue on the I-87 almost right to the Canadian border (almost no traffic/ever diminishing traffic north-bound after Saratoga Springs/Lake George), then take the Route 11 at Champlain, NY through Rouses Point, then, Route 2 across the bridge to the "Islands", and continue on the 2 to the 78 to St Albans, where you get onto the Route 105 to Enosburg, VT to Richford, VT, and continue on the 105 winding to Newport, VT. We do the 105 all the time. However, a heads-up: the 105 can be very rough on stretches just outside of Richford all the way to Newport.

My vote would be the I-91.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL's routes sound just fine to me; I'd recommend something like them, probably the second one (though the first is just fine, too).

There are a couple of good fuel stops in Fair Haven, just barely south of the intersection of US4 and VT22A, that usually have pretty good prices on gasoline. I don't know how their diesel prices compare with other places. The mentioned stop on 22A is a nice one, too.

To get from Harrisburg, PA to Albany, NY, I like to take I-81 to I-88 E to I-90 E to whatever (I-87 N in this case). I-88 used to be a pretty rough road, and while it still has some rather rough areas, they've done a lot of work on it the past few years and greatly improved most of the worst bits. It, and I-87 north of Albany (and more especially north of Glens Falls), go through some rather pretty rural areas. For that matter, the Interstate highways in Vermont are also comparatively scenic.

haste maker wrote:
QCMan wrote:
Any reason why you want to go through Albany?
To stay away from the NYC area.

IF your not in the Albany area and are in fact coming from Harrisburg PA, this is what I would do if towing -

take 81 north to 84 east.... cross into CT, once you get to Hartford, take 91 North.... That will get you to Newport.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Matt_Colie wrote:
Do you mean Newport VA (Virginia) or UT (Utah)?

Have you tried Google Maps? They aren't the best, but are usually up to date.

Matt

Utah is landlocked. I don't think there is a Newport, Utah.

I would not have asked if I did not know it was a nice section of Bountiful UT.

Matt

You won't have any trouble with US Rt.7, it's the major north/south highway. Well, at least to Vermont standards, it an improved 2 lane road. This route takes you right up the Champlain valley (outstanding scenery). Once you make it to Burlington get on I89 east to Waterbury, then get on Rt. 100 north to Newport. I don't know what kind of rig you have, but I doubt you'll have any trouble with this route. However, you should be aware that there are not many campgrounds in VT. and they mostly cater to smaller rigs and tents. Make your reservations early and specify your size and space requirements. I'm a native Vermonter (living in NH) I go there every year for family gatherings and I'm always astounded lack of CG and the condition of them. There are some new ones that are really nice, but I end up driving 30-40 miles to get to see my family.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Newport, Va? You mean Newport News, VA? It's a city in the Hampton Roads/Tidewater part of the Commonwealth.

There is a Newport, VA. However it's an unincorporated community in Giles Co, VA, out in the southwest part of the Commonwealth.

Matt_Colie wrote:

Matt
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
From Albany there are a couple of ways.

1. Take the Northway (I87) to Exit 20, take Rt 9 for 1/3 mile to Rt 149 East to NY4 North to Whitehall NY then stay on 4 to Rutland to I91. I 91 North to Newport.

2. Take same route as #1 except once you cross into VT, take VT22A North to Burlington. Once in Burlington, take I89 south to I91 North.

You will hit hills regardless crossing W-E in VT. 22A is a nice 2 lane and you'll pass the VT Teddy Bear Company taking this way. NY ADK Mtns will be off to the left for nice scenery.

Fuel stops if you have a diesel:

NY: Scotty's at Exit 16 off the Northway
VT: Name escapes me at the moment, but nice one along VT 22A about 20-30 miles north of Fair Haven
Irving Oil in Lyndonville VT off I91
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Matt_Colie wrote:

Matt

I would not have asked if I did not know it was a nice section of Bountiful UT.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thomas/NH wrote:
The fastest and easiest way is: From Albany get on I90 east to Springfield MA then onto I91 north. It goes right though Newport VT. The alternative is US route 7 from Albany follow it through to the Northeast Kingdom...(this is a very long ride, but interesting)

Looked at the route 7 and looked good to me, I am not an Interstate people if I don't have use one. Can you tell me about this road, is it hilly & many curves?
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Albany is not a fun place either. You are better off avoiding it also. By summer the riots will be resuming and it will not be fun. Use Google maps to find a route that isn't near the big cities.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
QCMan wrote:
Any reason why you want to go through Albany?
To stay away from the NYC area.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer
The fastest and easiest way is: From Albany get on I90 east to Springfield MA then onto I91 north. It goes right though Newport VT. The alternative is US route 7 from Albany follow it through to the Northeast Kingdom...(this is a very long ride, but interesting)

dedmiston
Matt_Colie wrote:

Matt

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can't help you on the other side of Albany, but if you do not intend to visit New York City and all the traffic associated with it, I would try this route to Albany, Avoid NYC
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.