Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Smartplug Converstion
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Smartplug Converstion

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First I give credit to the smart folks that posted on this 5th Wheel thread.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30084692.cfm

Particularly this link: https://marinehowto.com/shore-power-cords-smartplug-vs-1938/

Smartplug connector conversion seemed to be a nobrainer for me (20 times metal contact).

So I found this from Walmart online, a 25' 30A cordset Smartplug to STS (Shore to shore) twistlock for $12.95 (free shipping), discounted by around 90%.

[image]

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SMARTPLUG-30-........P-25-CORDSET-DUAL-CONFIGURATION/30257838

Add a simple pigtail RV plug (NEMA TT 30P) to STS twistlock (NEMA L5 30R) from HomeDepot ($26.60) and for about $40, one has an operational BRAND NEW cordset (RV to Smartplug).

[image]

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Conntek-TT-3........or-to-RV-Pigtail-Adapter-14355/309254425

Now, I need the Smartplug receptical (around $70) and an afternoon to modify the TT power inlet, and I am good.

Best pricing thus far $61.81 (add $10 for shipping)

[image]
https://www.rvautoparts.com/BM30PW-Smart........d-For-Connecting-30-Amp-RV_p_450375.html

When I do the conversion and reuse, I will post pics.

In the meantime, not sure how long the Walmart cordset will be available for $12.95.

* This post was last edited 01/08/21 08:31am by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

(Formerly known as SPRey)
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/21 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dunno...sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
In all my years of boating and RVing, I’ve never seen a reason to doubt the Marinco inlets and cordsets. May be there are problems with the China knockoffs, but I have always had the Marinco.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going with the Smartplug, you may want to buy a spare. Loosing a specialty cord will be virtually impossible in a hurry up replacement.
I do not see anything refencing UL or CSA approval!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandpaKip wrote:

In all my years of boating and RVing, I’ve never seen a reason to doubt the Marinco inlets and cordsets. May be there are problems with the China knockoffs, but I have always had the Marinco.

Two objectives I had before searching for my solutions.

#1 Replace the nondetachable power cord with one that can be plugged and removed. Don't like bugs and critters crawling in my castle and the insulation in the cord storage hole is "economical" at best. You can feel the cold air drafting.

#2 Replace the RV plug (it was getting rather warm to the touch while plugged in) which means inefficient electric contacts. My TT was manufactured in 2000, so lets just assume both the cord and molded plug are probably "tired".

We usually dry camp (seldom visit RV parks with hookups) and since 1995 (when we started RVing) never been ripped off or had any of my gear walk off--save some firewood, but we had lots.

To me SAFETY and QUALITY are always number #1 and I don't think one can do any better than upgrade from a nondetachable cord to a Smartplug cord.

And, an unintended benefit, the cubby hole that once held the old power cord, can now be a secret stash spot, a safe of sorts to hold weapons, ammo, cash, etc. A slight modification in the paneling and poof, push open door.

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Going with the Smartplug, you may want to buy a spare. Loosing a specialty cord will be virtually impossible in a hurry up replacement.
I do not see anything refencing UL or CSA approval!

OK, you owe a buck for doing your research.

http://smartplug.com/wp-content/uploads/........4/UL-Approvals-Authorization-to-Mark.pdf

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SPRey wrote:

GrandpaKip wrote:

Two objectives I had before searching for my solutions.

#1 Replace the nondetachable power cord with one that can be plugged and removed. Don't like bugs and critters crawling in my castle and the insulation in the cord storage hole is "economical" at best. You can feel the cold air drafting.

#2 Replace the RV plug (it was getting rather warm to the touch while plugged in) which means inefficient electric contacts. My TT was manufactured in 2000, so lets just assume both the cord and molded plug are probably "tired".

We usually dry camp (seldom visit RV parks with hookups) and since 1995 (when we started RVing) never been ripped off or had any of my gear walk off--save some firewood, but we had lots.

To me SAFETY and QUALITY are always number #1 and I don't think one can do any better than upgrade from a nondetachable cord to a Smartplug cord.

And, an unintended benefit, the cubby hole that once held the old power cord, can now be a secret stash spot, a safe of sorts to hold weapons, ammo, cash, etc. A slight modification in the paneling and poof, push open door.

You forgot about the supposed "better" electrical contact area that you claimed was the main reason..

Personally, what you have done is ADDED MANY more "points of failure" and INCREASED resistance (which equals heat) which the additional contacts.

All you did was spend a lot of money and spread out the heat across all of the additional contacts.

My cord "cubby" is FULLY closed off from the outside, what you could have done instead of all of the needless adaptation was to put a electrical workbox on the side of the "cubby", run the shore cord into that box via a weatherproof gland and made your connections inside the work box. Then proceed to double insulate the cubby box and seal it up well to prevent outside cold air from getting through the cubby box.

Instead, you now have a bunch of non standard electrical cords and connectors that can be lost and most difficult to locate in most stores..

No so "smart" to be non standard in a world of "standards".

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did not see any UL or CSA label on package!

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GD I respect your opinion and fully disagree with your conclusion; your experiences, rig and objectives are yours--not mine.

There are many paths to the same destination my friend, not just one; but many, many paths.

Utilizing a standard plug designed before WWII is within your prerogative; I just like upgrading old technology with new when it makes sense, especially if I am replacing something.

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

I did not see any UL or CSA label on package!

When I get my package I will send you a picture of the label (cordset comes tomorrow)

But to suggest Smartplug is not UL or CSA approved would be rather misleading.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/21 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would rather have a 30-TT plug on the end unless you primarily use a generator with the twist-lock for power.
I loathe adapters I can avoid.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Smartplug Converstion
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.