Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Selinoid
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
YC 1

Yuba City Calif./ Auburndale Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/21 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

YC 1:
That somewhat dirties the water! Big Boys are latching relays, where the Trombella linked it an electrically held.
Big Boy Information
Trombetta wiring diagram

First let’s clear up the "Big Boy" question. It is like calling all tissues Kleenex.

To be specific there are several variations of the "Big Boy" solenoid. The solenoid is a very simple electric switch controlled by a 12-volt source. See, even the Big Boy is not always called that. As an electronic tech I will refer to it as the relay. How's that for confusion.

So, Big Boy, Solenoid, Relay, and often because of the mfgr of these they are called Trombetta relays.

Sorry if this muddied the water for you. As indicated, they are often called a lot of different things and operated a bit differently, Add the "salesman switch" to the mix and you can get more confusion.

Hopefully my lengthy read helped some folks that are not tech savvy.

H/R Endeavor 2008
2013 Ford Edge toad
Full Timers

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YC 1 wrote:

enblethen wrote:

YC 1:
That somewhat dirties the water! Big Boys are latching relays, where the Trombella linked it an electrically held.
Big Boy Information
Trombetta wiring diagram

First let’s clear up the "Big Boy" question. It is like calling all tissues Kleenex.

To be specific there are several variations of the "Big Boy" solenoid. The solenoid is a very simple electric switch controlled by a 12-volt source. See, even the Big Boy is not always called that. As an electronic tech I will refer to it as the relay. How's that for confusion.

So, Big Boy, Solenoid, Relay, and often because of the mfgr of these they are called Trombetta relays.

Sorry if this muddied the water for you. As indicated, they are often called a lot of different things and operated a bit differently, Add the "salesman switch" to the mix and you can get more confusion.

Hopefully my lengthy read helped some folks that are not tech savvy.

I found your comments to be very helpful as my knowledge was limited to my experience with one coach. Due to my having two Trombetta relays die on me already I am considering upgrading to a Big Boy latching relay at some point. I will have to investigate what is involved in upgrading the controller that I have since it is set up to produce continuous power to the relay for the Trombetta.

I am also curious now about "salesman switch". I know where the switch is but I have never located the relay to see what type it is. I may just decide to bypass it since the only time it is needed is when I drop leave the coach somewhere for service and they don't use it anyway.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Salesman switch is in many rigs, a momentary switch that operates the battery disconnect latching relay, Big Boy like the unit I replaced.
Some rigs do use a small control relay to hold in an electrically held battery disconnect relay.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are still talking relays (solenoids)
OP: can you locate the make and model of the relays in question?

YC 1

Yuba City Calif./ Auburndale Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/21 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Salesman Switch thread

Salesman Switch.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.