cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snowmobile trailer tire question

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
So I need to replace the tires on a 4 place V-nose alum frame sled trailer w/ gross weight of 5k. 4 tires in total (5 if the spare is incl). Talked to tire shop today and they offered up:

Good Year Endurance for 150/ea (load range D)
Power King/Tow Max for 90/ea (load range C)

And the sled trailer mfr was Rainer for 65/ea. (load range C)

14" size

Trailer sits 95% of time in open year round and has 3 sleds in it.

Tire shop says they haven't had any issues w/ the TowMax ones, but many have come to know them as BlowMax tires. So what would you all say would be the best option? Price alone, I like the TM and Rainer's, but quality wise?????????? This being said tho, the orig tires (trailer was made in '14) have date codes of 2011 & 2012 and still like new, no problems outside of age.

TIA.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
13 REPLIES 13

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
ACZL wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Also spoke w/ a friend of mine and he said he can get Carlisle radial tires load range D for 60 (his cost) or bias load range C for lil cheaper. The Carlisle tires LR C have a "trailer" tread while the Carlisle LR D have a center rib. Both have speed ratings of 80 mph (not that I tow that fast) and weight ratings north of 5k. The orig tires that came w/ the trailer have seen 65-70 on the hiway and knock on wood, no problems.

Just make sure they are the Trail HD. That tire has had good results for many users. I have them on my boat trailer and they are doing well.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with the Carlisles. Their reliability has improved drastically in the last 10 years. And that 80mph rating let's you know they are built pretty well. I had them on my 32ft TT LR 'E'.

Highly recommend the Carlisles!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies everyone. Also spoke w/ a friend of mine and he said he can get Carlisle radial tires load range D for 60 (his cost) or bias load range C for lil cheaper. The Carlisle tires LR C have a "trailer" tread while the Carlisle LR D have a center rib. Both have speed ratings of 80 mph (not that I tow that fast) and weight ratings north of 5k. The orig tires that came w/ the trailer have seen 65-70 on the hiway and knock on wood, no problems.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ENDURANCE, zero non road hazard issues in over three years on the market. USA Made !!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kenda Karriers have been doing great on my trailers. Another recommendation and not too spendy on etrailer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lwiddis wrote:
Iโ€™d go Load Range D for a 5000 pound trailer.

While 1000% unnecessary based on the load, as C tires would be only loaded to maybe 60-70% capacity, I agree, not based on weight but because the heavier load tire is almost the same price and offers greater load at lower psi. And max psi on a sled trailer is not good for traction in winter conditions. So I have Ds on a similar size and weight trailer and run them at about 40 psi in the winter.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hey Dodge guy, you got that right! Towing a sled trailer, often means extreme conditions. I've towed on glare ice, deep snow, steep mts, in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, many times. Had 3 flat tires, one at 2AM New Years eve, on reservation, narrow state hiway! Oh ya, minus 10F high wind. Had to use jack handle to dig in the frozen ground, on shoulder, to fit jack under axle! The good thing, both other flats happened in my driveway, the next morning, as not flat when I parked that evening.

Jerry

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Snowmobile trailers are the worst! They get used in the worst possible environment, and then sit through the summer with the sun beating on them. I would just go with the middle of the road tires and expect to replace them every 4 years due to how itโ€™s used. When I had my sleds I couldnโ€™t believe how many trailers I seen on the side of the road with flat/blow outs. And that is not the weather you want to be changing tires in......-15 at 10:00 at night!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mike...what size 14" are you looking at?

E-trailer has Endurance ST215/75R 14 D for $120, free shipping.
also has Provider in same size for about $110, free shipping.

Jerry

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
My 7x23 all aluminum sled trailer came with GY Marathon 14" with load C. The GVWR is 6K with 3,800 payload. I've towed 70+ mph many times, on long trips, loaded with 3 MT sleds, lots of gear, tools, and extra fuel.

My trailer has the rubber torsion suspension, and rides, tows very well, even loaded heavy at speed. I don't think you need more than C-rated tires, that would ride smoother, less movement of things inside trailer. Maybe can't get the Endurance in a C?

I would look at the Provider STs, the Carlisle HD, and consider the Endurance. All are new style, cooler running, higher speed rated, 81-87 mph.

Here is a pic of my trailer.

Jerry

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Everyone who has had ST tire failures, has their own personal experience about what brand ST trailer tires they trust. Been there and had that.

Here are my three, not in any particular order.

Carlisle Radial Trail HD. (and only this specific tire which was redesigned over the older ones) https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/our-products/product-detail/radial-trail-hd/

Maxxis M8008 radial trailer tires. https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-122-129-st-radial-m8008

And the Good Year Endurance you mentioned.

The Maxxis has a 65MPH speed limit. The other two are speed rated higher. Not that I endorse towing a trailer that fast or faster. just noting it. I only trailer tow at 60mph regardless on my travel trailers. Things can go real wrong way too fast when towing a trailer.

The Carlisle will most likely cost less then the other two.

5 years is about the limit on ST tire age. The rubber breaks down not even using the trailer. They may look good, but you heat them up, and the aged rubber issues rear their ugly head. Keep any of them covered with white covers to protect them from the sun that 95% of the time they are sitting outside doing nothing and keep them aired up to max cold side wall pressure when towing. The tandem axle setup needs the pressure to help ward off interply shear in the tire during turns. (the tread trying to tear off the main carcus scrubbing in a turn)

Hope this helps.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've towed an about 5000lbs enclosed garage trailer on 14" Marathon tires about 30,000 miles. I didn't think to get an alignment when the trailer was new so the first tires were replaced at about 10-12000 miles. After alignment wear is better. The trailer has been towed in all temperatures up to 90F. It's 12 years old. I don't tow it above 65mph.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™d go Load Range D for a 5000 pound trailer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad