cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck camper trade-in at dealer question.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Basically, I want to know a little about TC trade-ins on new a truck camper.
I traded in a TC a few years back and the dealer didn't look at anything on it. They just had me park it in their back lot and that was it.

Have you purchased a new truck camper and traded in a used TC for it and how did that event proceed for you?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats
24 REPLIES 24

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
My camper trade-in experience is now twofold.

The first trade-in was at Camping World where I bought a used TC.
They made a trade-in offer sight unseen. I took it.
When I delivered the old camper they had me put it on the back lot. They had no interest in inspecting it. No inspection, no tests.

Fast forward a few years to my next camper (a 2021 Arctic Fox) and the old trade-in camper was scrutinized a little closer.
Different dealer company this time, different place.

But again, I was directed to a back lot - gave them the keys to the truck and headed to the office. They took the camper off and did a fairly good inspection. There were some minor problems with the camper but they stuck with their offered trade-in price.

The trade-in value was substantial and it reduced the full retail price by a huge amount - thus saving me a big chunk of sales tax.

And that's my experience.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Here's the deal: Dealers can be generous on tradein value because they're taking it off the FULL RETAIL price of the camper you're trading the old one in on.

Reality is they're giving you very little, sometimes even zero, for your old camper. It's just a number on a piece of paper to make you feel good about the deal.

You can take that to the bank if they don't even bother to look at the camper and just tell you to dump it off in the back lot. They're not counting on the sale of that camper to make any money on this deal.

Funny story, when I traded my rusted out 2003 Silverado with 217,000 miles, I was up front with the salesman. I told him I knew it wasn't worth more than a few hundred dollars, but it would sure help convince me to sign the contract for the new truck if he made me feel good about the tradein value. He chuckled, left, and came back with a contract showing a tradein value of $2500 for my old truck. We both agreed it was a made-up value as it came straight off retail, but it made me feel good, so I bought the new truck.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
JohnJM wrote:
My question is where can I find the blue book on a camper? ive not looked for that yet.

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
JohnJM wrote:
My question is where can I find the blue book on a camper? ive not looked for that yet.

NADA had quotes.
Not very realistic per my experience.
I was advertising my Lance in San Francisco area for 50% what NADA was giving it and not even tire kickers.

JohnJM
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
JohnJM wrote:
I always saw trade in as the hassle free way but you get less back. Ive sold all of our old cars and trucks privately. Its not that hard. The trouble with tire kickers is they are looking for bargains. I dont mind dealing with the public, ill dicker with anyone on anything, I like my money and I will maxmize my money, trades ins leave money on the table.

We bought our first camper used private sale. Traded it in for our new one. They took a look at it briefly mostly because it had some tie down damage. Were now talking about a new camper, when the time comes ill sell this one one privately. Wish we were selling it ow, but hvae to wait to be done paying for college first (18 more months)

That works well when you are selling chap vehicle.
When it goes to $50k range, not too many truck shoppers have that much cash and not everybody knows how to go to bank or CU for the loan, so dealer offering financing on spot has huge advantage.
Most of buyers will rather spend $52k at dealer, than seek private sale for $47k

the more something costs the more patient you need to be to find the buyer. To me that patience has always paid off. My career was in finance, so I probably have a different outlook on things. When the time comes for th enew camper, ill sell what I have privately. My question is where can I find the blue book on a camper? ive not looked for that yet.
John M

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ For sure, there's plenty of folks that only buy from dealers and there's plenty that don't generally buy from dealers for various reasons.
My self being in the latter group. And the primary reason, like JohnJM said, is I like my money and try to maximize it's value.
The private party market for used big ticket items, vehicles, RVs etc, has shifted in recent years. Mainly the proliferation of internet "valuation". It is so easy a caveman can do it, to see ALL the prices out there for similar items, including a plethora of dealers with their markup. Because of that, most every person selling privately thinks their junk is worth gold! The downside is it's harder to find a deal. The upside is, it's easier to get a decent price thanks to all the junk collectors who think they have a pot of gold!
Guess it all balances out.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
JohnJM wrote:
I always saw trade in as the hassle free way but you get less back. Ive sold all of our old cars and trucks privately. Its not that hard. The trouble with tire kickers is they are looking for bargains. I dont mind dealing with the public, ill dicker with anyone on anything, I like my money and I will maxmize my money, trades ins leave money on the table.

We bought our first camper used private sale. Traded it in for our new one. They took a look at it briefly mostly because it had some tie down damage. Were now talking about a new camper, when the time comes ill sell this one one privately. Wish we were selling it ow, but hvae to wait to be done paying for college first (18 more months)

That works well when you are selling chap vehicle.
When it goes to $50k range, not too many truck shoppers have that much cash and not everybody knows how to go to bank or CU for the loan, so dealer offering financing on spot has huge advantage.
Most of buyers will rather spend $52k at dealer, than seek private sale for $47k

specta
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:

The "money thing" has less meaning when an individual looks at "hassle" and personal distaste at dealing with the public.
The VALUE may be in a quick disposal and moving on with the camping experience.

Exactly. Value is not always measured in $$$$.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

JohnJM
Explorer
Explorer

John M

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
The Dodge dealer put my Ford on the market for $8000 more than they paid me. I vacuum the interior, washed it and 303-ed the tires, so doubt they did any work on it.
I've been observing it for about 4 months before the add was gone.

I don't really care.
The question was asked for personal trade-in experiences.
Did the dealer look it over carefully, or did they simply park it on the back lot and give the quoted price for the trade in.
Your opinions and observations miss the mark.

And I don't really care how money much was given.
Trade in price can reduce the taxable amount for the new camper.
This too has to be accounted for IF the money thing is important to you.

The "money thing" has less meaning when an individual looks at "hassle" and personal distaste at dealing with the public.
The VALUE may be in a quick disposal and moving on with the camping experience.

Thanks for popping in - and I'm sorry if the post title mislead your thinking.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The Dodge dealer put my Ford on the market for $8000 more than they paid me. I vacuum the interior, washed it and 303-ed the tires, so doubt they did any work on it.
I've been observing it for about 4 months before the add was gone.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Tire kickers can be really annoying, but dealer can be tire kickers as well.
When I put my truck on Craigslist, no private buyer would ask to see $50k truck.
Yet I got about 8 calls from dealers trying to low ball me.
Some dealers quoted me $35k.

Likely mostly because the market for a 2wd truck, especially a HD pickup is extremely limited.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Remember that the dealer has to be able to make money on your camper when you trade it in.

If its worth $35,000 on the market he can't give you that much for it or he can't make any money if he sells it for its real value of $35,000.

If he does give you $35,000 then he's going to have to add the difference onto the price of the new camper or in the financing.

He's there to make money.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Tire kickers can be really annoying, but dealer can be tire kickers as well.
When I put my truck on Craigslist, no private buyer would ask to see $50k truck.
Yet I got about 8 calls from dealers trying to low ball me.
Some dealers quoted me $35k.