Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Vaccinations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Vaccinations

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/21 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

jetboater454 wrote:

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Florida's Gov DeSantis said ALL people who meet the criteria, will be vaccinated. It's a Federal Program (and let's face it, it's the older folks who tie up the ICUs).

I'm currently in Brevard County - they are using the Eventbrite online registration system, and it works quite well, although they still have far too many people trying to get registered for the available slots. I figure with each group who gets vaccinated, the odds of getting a slot improve :-)

Not anymore,unless your a Florida resident. No more snowbirds unless you already had the 1st shot....and then only if they have enough "extra"

I spent hours this morning staring at the qualifications as I hoped to score a vaccination along with a million other people (no luck on my part). They now want people to prove that they are "seasonal residents" for more than 30 days in FL. I would think almost all Snowbirds could make that qualification by bringing along a lease or rental agreement, utility bill, etc. In my case, I own a condo. So technically, it's the "vaccine tourists" they are turning away - not Snowbirds.

Yes, I inquired about it yesterday in Putnam County and was told that showing confirmations of our multiple Florida state and national park reservations through March was adequate proof of "Snowbirdness" (her word). No appointments available though until new supplies arrive.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

pconroy328

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 12:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomasmnile wrote:

Only downside: since it's an "old school" vaccine and not a biologic like the Moderna & Pfizer vaccines, production takes longer.

J&J's uses modified DNA in an adenovirus vector to produce the mRNA that'll result in spike protein production.

I'm not sure I'd characterize it as "old school". [emoticon]

Old school to me, mean eggs.
Lots and lots and lots of eggs.

[emoticon]

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/21 02:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M, you would have better luck calling your DEHEC or Health Dept. in your true state of residence, you know, the residence where you obtained your voter's registration card, your driver's license, the state or federal income tax documents with your residence address on it along with your social security numbers. With all that true information, someone would eventually come on line and ask you to go to a particular provider's website and have you fill out your state's form and you would push the continue button; the provider would then give you a date and time to show up for your appointment; between now and time of your appointments in your state of residence, your provider would communicate with you on your smart phone or through your e-mail address. You would have plenty of time to travel via plane or vehicle to meet your appointments in your state of residence and return to warm weather in Florida. We have received our first shot; while at our Medical University, we got the appointment for our second shot and now will fly back from Arizona to SC to meet our second appointment and fly back to Arizona. You see, just because I'm on vacation, I don't want to make my problem Arizona's problem; that problem belongs to me and my state of residence, SC, the state where I vote for people who run my state. It is easy to determine what is your true state of residence; based on that true definition, the numbers for distribution of vaccine to a state are determined.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

charlestonsouthern wrote:

Deb and Ed M, you would have better luck calling your DEHEC or Health Dept. in your true state of residence, (snipped)

I have done that - I'm registered with the county health department and a local large pharmacy - both of whom will contact ME when an appointment for my "group" (healthy senior citizen) becomes available. (I really appreciate how it's being handled in MI) I won't hesitate to drive immediately to Michigan for that; but doubt it will happen before we head home in the spring anyway.

But I don't feel that I'm stealing some nice Floridian's vaccination if I can score some while down south. We own our townhouse residence and pay plenty of property tax since it's not homesteaded. I realize if I roll up with my Michigan license plates to get a shot (if I'm that lucky) I will get scornful looks, and I don't care. I support Florida every bit as much as Michigan. And from a selfish standpoint - the new, more easily-transmissible variant is loving Florida :-( I would like a vaccination ASAP, please.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/21 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From a public health standpoint, it would be best for Florida to vaccinate snowbirds. This population is the most likely to end up in a hospital and comprises a significant portion of the population. Financially and for the stability of the health care system it would be smart to vaccinate as many as fast as possible, be they residents or not.

The government is supplying the vaccine and hopefully reimbursing state costs in providing the shot, so long term there should be little extra financial burden to the state.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

From a public health standpoint, it would be best for Florida to vaccinate snowbirds. This population is the most likely to end up in a hospital and comprises a significant portion of the population. Financially and for the stability of the health care system it would be smart to vaccinate as many as fast as possible, be they residents or not.

The government is supplying the vaccine and hopefully reimbursing state costs in providing the shot, so long term there should be little extra financial burden to the state.

That's what Arizona is doing. Snowbirds provide a LOT of money, in fact the Health Departments are reminding snowbirds to stay and get their second shot here, to make sure you have 2 doses from the same manufacturer, as well as spending some more money in the state!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

Irover

Where ever the Good Lord Wills

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/21 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have yet to vaccine; I am waiting until more will get the shot! I am stationary in middle Tn.; only go to my local businesses and wear a mask inside them! I have 3 severe health problems which could cause a possible fatality! I check all the warnings that the CDC recommends. I have not become sick since March 2020. So in my Appointment with my primary doctor and Cardiologist; I will make a decision on when to vaccination!

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

This has been my mantra as I post on the local social media platforms like "Nextdoor". When the state literally exists on the tourist trade, keeping as many of those folks from tying up the hospitals is important, IMO. Speaking of Nextdoor - the posts from my area in Florida are about 80% complaints about not being able to get an appointment for a vaccination - it's truly an insane process to get into a queue, starting with us waking up at 5:15AM in order to be on the computer just before the 6AM opening and able to sit and watch for the next 2 hours. We use 2 computers and a phone all attempting to get "into" the "make an appointment room". Even if you make it to that point, you still have to be quick to pick a location and time slot that aren't already filled; and you'd better have all your information at hand (including Medicare #) or your application will get tossed.

Previous to the online appointments, they tried phone-in, until 260,000 simultaneous phone calls crashed the phone system (reported by Florida Today newspaper)

I recited all that, simply to show that I really doubt anyone is traveling to Florida specifically to get a vaccination*; and anyone who is here as a Snowbird should have no problem proving their "seasonal residency" and making them eligible for vaccination.

*There was one report, of an assisted living center near Miami allowing northern donors and Board Members to fly to FL and receive shots. I think somehow that one story has gotten blown into the "hordes of people storming FL to steal their vaccinations"?

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/21 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazing misinformation. CDC publishes "excess deaths" that compares current deaths from all causes to the 5 year (I think) average. Check out the figures and you'll see excess deaths are actually larger than the COVID deaths reported. CDC Excess deaths

Also, every cause of death could probably listed as cardiac arrest as the time of death is pronounced when the heart stops. Ignoring associated contributing causes is a dishonest reading of the data.

A person with diabetes that died from COVID has that listed as an mitigating or contributing factor. Had they not contracted COVID they would not have died.

To say that the only deaths that can be attributed to COVID are those that have ONLY COVID listed on the death certificate is dishonest.

Monaramblee

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 01:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So many tinfoil hat theories and denials has been the fuel for covid. It would be safer for the world if they all went back to denying men landed on the moon.

2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Vaccinations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.