Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do NOT use Flex Seal on your camper roof!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Do NOT use Flex Seal on your camper roof!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Seminoe Joe

Texas, Wyoming, or somewhere in between

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Figured I’d post this since I had a troubling conversation with my repair guy a couple weeks back when I picked up my camper after it was repaired following a minor collision last fall. We were discussing my long battle with a skylight leak in the bathroom and I mentioned that at one point I used flex seal spray as an emergency measure until I could do a proper repair with new butyl tape and Dicor and eternabond. He got all exited and told me that the “flex seal is great stuff! That’s the way to go!” And he used it on his parents’ leaky shed roof and its holding just fine. I nodded and told him it’s great for an emergency but from my firsthand experience, it becomes brittle, cracks, and eventually peels off when it’s been exposed to ultraviolet light for more than a few weeks. He apparently wasn’t aware of that. Ive been thinking about that conversation for a few weeks now and figured I’d post a thread about it to inform others who might be tempted to use flex seal as a permanent solution on camper roofs. DON’T!
Even though the tv commercial shows a guy sealing a skylight,
Even though your repair guy or dealer might tell you it’s great,
Even though a website or blog extols it’s virtues,
It is NOT a permanent solution!!!!! Emergency patch? Sure. But it WILL become brittle, crack, and peel off in a few weeks under UV light (sunlight).
So please, PLEASE, don’t even think about using this stuff I place of lap sealant or eternabond.
This has been a public service announcement.
We now return to your regularly scheduled program.

“It’s all in the reflexes.”
2012 Lance 850
2012 Chevy 2500 HD

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/21 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It works great but is not UV rated. Use it on the underbelly or in a shady location and it holds up just fine, not in the sunlight tho...

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Lwiddis

Bishop area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/21 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry a quart of Heng’s and roll Eternabond on my travels.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

newman fulltimer

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guess he saw money signs When people call me and say they used it i say good luck i dont want any part of it

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I'm on the other side of the equation. I used the Flex seal caulking tubes to seal up a couple of cracks in the roof in the spring. It stayed tacky for about 2 weeks and then became less and less tacky as time went by. Fast forward to fall, after checking a number of times, it didn't crack, peel become brittle or shrink and the trailer rood has full sun exposure for at least 6-7 hours a day.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seminoe Joe wrote:

Figured I’d post this since I had a troubling conversation with my repair guy a couple weeks back when I picked up my camper after it was repaired following a minor collision last fall. We were discussing my long battle with a skylight leak in the bathroom and I mentioned that at one point I used flex seal spray as an emergency measure until I could do a proper repair with new butyl tape and Dicor and eternabond. He got all exited and told me that the “flex seal is great stuff! That’s the way to go!” And he used it on his parents’ leaky shed roof and its holding just fine. I nodded and told him it’s great for an emergency but from my firsthand experience, it becomes brittle, cracks, and eventually peels off when it’s been exposed to ultraviolet light for more than a few weeks. He apparently wasn’t aware of that. Ive been thinking about that conversation for a few weeks now and figured I’d post a thread about it to inform others who might be tempted to use flex seal as a permanent solution on camper roofs. DON’T!
Even though the tv commercial shows a guy sealing a skylight,
Even though your repair guy or dealer might tell you it’s great,
Even though a website or blog extols it’s virtues,
It is NOT a permanent solution!!!!! Emergency patch? Sure. But it WILL become brittle, crack, and peel off in a few weeks under UV light (sunlight).
So please, PLEASE, don’t even think about using this stuff I place of lap sealant or eternabond.
This has been a public service announcement.
We now return to your regularly scheduled program.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is what I did when I wss bored last summer after I found an old tube of Dicor

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my Fleetwood with roof damage, where the seller bothered the repair with eterna bond tape.
Was fighting the leaks for 3 years as no caulk would hold for long time.
I tried expensive marine caulks, RV caulks and top-grade construction caulks and none of them would stick permanently to my rubber roof.
Finally the Henry Tropi-cool roof sealer come on the market and after trying it on my house roof, I put it on my camper.
That coat sealed everything solid, regardless if the caulk under was holding better and worse.
It is self-leveling coat, so nice finish and the only problem was avoiding running on tilted camper nose.
[image]

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree about Flex Seal being a VERY temporary fix. I used it on a leaky sunroom roof (on our Snowbird condo) - it worked for a month, then the Florida sun just seemed to vaporize it. When we returned the following fall, the roof leaked just as badly and when I climbed up to look at it - there was NO sign that I had ever tried to seal the leaks :-( Fortunately, I hadn't left any furniture in the sunroom because it would have been a moldy mess....

There was one patch that I had made previously, using Eternabond tape - and that was still holding very well.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Do NOT use Flex Seal on your camper roof!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.