cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck, and truck camper insurance questions.

mt-ed
Explorer
Explorer
I will soon be taking possession of my new truck and truck camper. I have "heard" of problematic situations, such as when ones truck broke down, and when they called for a tow, they were denied unless they removed the camper!

For those of you out there that have a truck/truck camper combo, have you every had such an issue with your insurance carrier?

May I ask what insurance you folks have found to be the best? And by best, I mean those that have come through in time of need, had the best coverage options, and of course, were priced reasonable (subjective, I know)?

Thanks in advance for any and all help....
6 REPLIES 6

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Seminoe Joe wrote:
I have State Farm. Havenโ€™t had to get towed, BUT I had a hair raising, multi-week exchange with them after an elderly lady backed into my camper at a gas station and nearly pull the rear jack off along with half of the rear of the camper. When I first got the camper I was told my policy covered it along with the truck. When I called to report the accident I was also told it was covered along with the truck. Then the back-and-forth began with me being told alternately that it was and was not covered by my policy depending on which agent at what office I spoke to. The main office told me it was not covered and they wouldnโ€™t be able to do anything for me. Thankfully my local agent is awesome I was able to get to the bottom of it and my camper was indeed 100% covered. So I would advise making sure your agent understands exactly what kind of camper it is and you were absolutely positive that it is covered by your insurance. The main problem I encountered was that most of the people I spoke to either thought it was a trailer for some reason or a cap. This despite the fact that I had sent multiple photographs of the rig while reporting in the accident online.

My State Farm agent took pics of the Bigfoot on the truck. Hopefully helps.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have the camper on its own policy with USAA , Truck is also with USAA. It was a bit of a struggle to get them to understand what a slide in camper is. It took us sending photos of it on and off the truck along with interior pictures of the camper. That finally got it underwritten.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assume you mean risk /loss insurance not tow insurance?

We have Allstate, the fee is nominal. AllState consider the TC to be cargo so the rate is very competitive. In our state TCโ€™s are not registered.
We did get side swiped a couple of years ago on a trip. I was very pleased that Allstate handled everything no problem. The claim process was painless and everything got fixed. Police report clearly stated the other driver was at fault. Several witness statements also. Donโ€™t know if that matters?

For tow insurance/roadside we use GoodSam as they will tow anything; TV, camper, boat, trailers, etc anywhere in the US.
This is important for us as we have the TC and an Airstream.
We had AAA in the past but they are โ€œregional clubsโ€ and their tow policies change all over North America. IOW; you may be covered in your home area, but may not be covered while out traveling. Many Folks arenโ€™t aware of this.

Bill

Edit; our TC is clearly listed by make/model/year on our Allstate policy so I have no doubt they know what a TC and it is covered. Even though it is considered โ€œcargoโ€. You might want to check your policy to be sure.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Seminoe_Joe
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have State Farm. Havenโ€™t had to get towed, BUT I had a hair raising, multi-week exchange with them after an elderly lady backed into my camper at a gas station and nearly pull the rear jack off along with half of the rear of the camper. When I first got the camper I was told my policy covered it along with the truck. When I called to report the accident I was also told it was covered along with the truck. Then the back-and-forth began with me being told alternately that it was and was not covered by my policy depending on which agent at what office I spoke to. The main office told me it was not covered and they wouldnโ€™t be able to do anything for me. Thankfully my local agent is awesome I was able to get to the bottom of it and my camper was indeed 100% covered. So I would advise making sure your agent understands exactly what kind of camper it is and you were absolutely positive that it is covered by your insurance. The main problem I encountered was that most of the people I spoke to either thought it was a trailer for some reason or a cap. This despite the fact that I had sent multiple photographs of the rig while reporting in the accident online.
โ€œItโ€™s all in the reflexes.โ€
2012 Lance 850
2023 Chevy 3500 HD

NatParkJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
It can be towed on the truck, but they need the right wrecker. They sent out 2 different trucks that couldn't do it before they finally sent this. Took all day to figure out a tow truck.
The truck was less than a year old at that point, so I called Ram truck's roadside assistance to come come get it. Ended up the transmission failed and needed replaced.

I also have AAA, haven't needed to call it for a tow with the camper on yet.
My insurance agent didn't know quite what to make of vehicle insurance for my camper, they had to do some research and finally got a policy set up.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What did your independent insurance agent advise?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad