cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California Sierras - Yosemite etc - July 2021

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Would like to spend about 10 days between Yosemite, King’s Canyon, and Sequoia, including a little time on the E Sierra side.

Was thinking of 4 days at Tuolumne, it seems for mid July - mid August reservations I can reserve beginning February 15. But it looks like there are almost no sites big enough for a 28’ trailer. Any experience or comments about this location? We could try to stay down in the valley but honestly the valley is too crowded for me, we are here to hike the High Sierras and may even spend a night on the trail, leaving our trailer at the campground.

After boondocking at Tuolumne we’ll be ready for hookups outside of the other parks, while I loved Onion valley when I was young and in a tent I’m pretty sure that campground doesn’t handle trailers.

Any other location or suggestions or other tips for this trip?
16 REPLIES 16

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’ve decided to try to go for the Valley mid week with my trailer. If I can’t get it, no problem, you all have given lots of good options.

What are the best options for a 27’ trailer?” Is it the Upper and Lower Pines?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
rvshrinker, if you want to hike Whitney Portal and need hookups, Boulder RV in Lone Pine is the way to go. If you can do without hookups, Tuttle Creek Campground is fine. But be aware that the Owens Valley can get very hot in June.

It is a little harder to find hookups near the Kearsarge trailhead -- maybe look into Keough Hot Springs? All of the forest service campgrounds in that area (like Taboose, I think) can accommodate bigger rigs. Take a look at forestcamping.com -- very helpful info about forest service campgrounds.

It sounds like you are serious hikers, since you mentioned backpacking. There is great backpacking and day hiking in Sequoia, and the forest service campgrounds are at high altitude (and are thus cooler) than in Yosemite Valley.

Check out Azalea Campground at Kings Canyon -- room for bigger rigs, cool and shady.

If you want hookups, I'd recommend Sequoia RV in Three Rivers. If you don't need hookups, look into Potwisha Campground. From either of those places, take your tow vehicle and "commute" to the Giant Forest/Lodgepole area.

Bear in mind that depending on the year, there might still be snow above 9000 feet in June, which would affect some of the trails in Sequoia National Park. We just hike right through the snow, but not everyone enjoys that.

Let us know if you'd like tips on hikes in Sequoia and Kings Canyon -- there are dozens of trails!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We might be heading back that way this year. Will give Yosemite a pass this time but maybe more time in Sequoia.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, there are sites in the valley that will take a large trailer.I believe that Lower Pines or Upper Pines have sites, although not many. Booking a site is very challenging and you need to be online, signed in and ready to book as soon as they open the reservation window. I use a couple of different devices all logged in at the same time in case I have a problem. There are some private parks outside of Yosemite. You would then have to go in for day use. They are currently requiring reservations for day use in order to limit the number of people due to COVID. That could change in July. Check the website.

For Sequoia, we have stayed at a private park called Sequoia RV Ranch. It’s in Three Rivers. There is another private park in the same area but I can’t recall the name. Book now as they fill up quickly.I recommend checking the National Park website for restrictions at Sequoia as well. Good luck!

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/nrrs.htm
Here’s another link that is helpful
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campingfaq.htm
Lakejumper

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
2012 Chevy Equinox

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thank you all. We'll take a look at some of the sites in Lee Vining and west of the park. Maybe we'll just backpack an overnighter in the high country and keep our rig unoccupied for a night.

We don't really want to stay in the valley, but are any of the Pines able to accommodate us?

How about for hiking around Whitney Portal, Onion Valley/Kearsage Pass?

And what about the west side, suggestions for visiting Sequoia and Kings Canyon?

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I will avoid the Tioga Pass in early June. On June 5, 2009 we left the Lower Pines, heading for Reno with 2 wheel drive, towing a 38' Montana fiver. Slight mist in the campground turned into a blizzard before we reached the turn off, heading to the pass.

We pulled off into a rest area on the left but there was no room to turn around with my rig. Looking at the GPS I had just under 3 miles to the turn off to Lee Vining, where I could turn around, so decided to go for it, staying in the wheel tracks. Tour busses were at the intersection chaining up. Made it up, turned around, but have had nightmares about this decision ever since. I had my little generator, plenty of gasoline and water. Should have stayed in the pull-off illegally until things got better. The rangers couldn't make me move because I couldn't turn around.

All this to save 100 miles through Sacramento. Being from Alabama, this was only time in 45 years I have ever encountered snow while towing. JUNE 5 ??? who would have guessed?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This might be of some interest -- lots of photos, too:

Tioga area blog post
About our trailer

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Tioga Lake campground just east of the park entrance, would make a good base camp.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
If you are willing to stay in Lee Vining & drive in over Tioga Pass (and that is a great way to avoid the crowds) check out some of the campgrounds around June Lake. Everything from Forest Service to Resorts and great for visiting Mono Lake & the Bodie Ghost Town.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“Maybe check out Saddlebag Lake Campground, a forest service facility at 10,000 feet -- I think it accommodates bigger trailers.”

Great campground but be sure you can tolerate camping at that altitude. Dirt road from Tioga Road to campground is fairly good but pay attention. About four miles.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Staying near Lee Vining and driving into the park in the tow vehicle isn’t ideal but with the crowds it is my preferred method. Leave for Yosemite early in the morning since the park entrance station on Tioga Road can get backed up.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tuolumne Meadows Campground is not big rig friendly at all -- I'm not sure a 28 footer will fit there.

Going to the high country of Yosemite is a great idea -- amazing hiking, much cooler, less crowded than the Valley.

Maybe stay at Mono Vista RV in Lee Vining and commute to the high country up Tioga Road in your tow vehicle?? We have done that many times, when Tuolumne is full.

Maybe check out Saddlebag Lake Campground, a forest service facility at 10,000 feet -- I think it accommodates bigger trailers.

You mentioned boondocking -- there is no boondocking in Yosemite, and the nearest forest service boondocking for bigger rigs is off Highway 395 south of June Lake, near Obsidian Dome.
About our trailer

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
ORbiker wrote:
The last time I was at Yosemite was 5 or 6 years ago on the motorcycle in the summer. I had the worst time ever. TOO MANY PEOPLE.
I will never go there in the busy time ever again.
I had a hard time even finding a small spot to park the motorcycle.

Good luck. KEN
The first time I seen Yosemite valley was in the dead of winter with hardly any people there in 1982. Went back the summer of 2003 I beleive and couldn't get out of there fast enough. Wall to wall people and traffic.

Another option would be to find a private campground to park the trailer and drive in and hike making a day trip out of it.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I was at Yosemite was 5 or 6 years ago on the motorcycle in the summer. I had the worst time ever. TOO MANY PEOPLE.
I will never go there in the busy time ever again.
I had a hard time even finding a small spot to park the motorcycle.

Good luck. KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.