Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing capacity vs max cargo weight rating
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing capacity vs max cargo weight rating

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ognend wrote:

...snip.... they leave it up to you to weigh your truck and calculate what you can put on the rear axle?

Bingo!

Or, ask a bunch of strangers on the Internet.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/21 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Are you sure it's not 2700lb payload?

I know there are some oddly weak payload trucks out there but it would be unusual to find a truck with a 15k 5th Wheel/Gooseneck rating and only 1700lb payload.

Is it some kind of gorped up harley edition where they added 500lb of bling eating up a lot of the payload?

Not saying it would be impossible but a good chance you misread something.

That was my thought as well. What is the point of a "Heavy Duty" truck with 1700 lbs of payload? And how do you make a F250 weigh 8300 lbs empty??? Must be a lot of Harley Davidson and Powerstroke stickers to weigh that much...

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/21 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Are you sure it's not 2700lb payload?

I know there are some oddly weak payload trucks out there but it would be unusual to find a truck with a 15k 5th Wheel/Gooseneck rating and only 1700lb payload.

Is it some kind of gorped up harley edition where they added 500lb of bling eating up a lot of the payload?

Not saying it would be impossible but a good chance you misread something.

That was my thought as well. What is the point of a "Heavy Duty" truck with 1700 lbs of payload? And how do you make a F250 weigh 8300 lbs empty??? Must be a lot of Harley Davidson and Powerstroke stickers to weigh that much...

I kind of agree on payload number??? However, there were many 250 diesel trucks 2011 and newer with a payload just under 2K. Some were even SRW 350s with artificial 10K GVWR sticker, which also showed sub 2K payload.

I thought most understood the 250-350 difference. Until more recent years, an extra spring, and the infamous stickers, was the only difference, if diesel. Certainly if you compare class 2 10K to class 3 11.5K GVWR, a 1,500 lbs of additional payload appears, but truck is same. Many 250s already had the extra spring. If not, add it, or bags, and GTG.

I hate to quote Grit Dog, lol, but "many are overthinking this"

Jerry

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

PS - My Chevy half ton has 1712 pounds payload capacity. So a 3/4 with 1792 doesn’t impress me ...diesel or gas.

Only because you don’t understand vehicles or laws.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, this is literally the same discussion put forth daily here. So not sure why the question unless you haven’t read anything and have no knowledge in the subject. In that case, understandable.
However from your first post, I could have told you you had a 3/4 ton 10k gvw truck and from that your payload “rating” is far less, about 50% less than an actual reasonable max payload for the truck.
Or to put it simply, there isn’t a 15,000lb trailer, real world, that your truck won’t handle the pin weight of, within reason and proper loading techniques if the cargo is temporary, like a flatbed or permanent like any 5the wheel camper.

ognend

South Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford's towing guide for 2016: https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/dam/aem_fleet/en_us/fleet/towing-guides/Ford_Linc_16RVTTowGuide.pdf

Look if you don't believe me. Ford does not say what the weight of my truck is, all it says is the FR and RR GAWR and the GVWR of the vehicle (on the inside sticker of the driver door). The towing guide does not specify how much can go onto the rear axle (gooseneck/5w pin), only what the max weight pulled can be for bumper pull (14,000 lbs) and gooseneck (15,100 lbs). It does specify on page 10 of that guide the max cargo weight with slide-in camper as 1792 lbs for a F-250 6.7L crew cab 4x4 version. It also states next to that table "Cargo Weight Rating shown in chart is maximum allowable, assuming weight of a base vehicle with required camper option content and a 150-lb. passenger at each available seating position". Cheers.

I already have added a set of "super springs" (https://www.supersprings.com/) on the rear wheels. My concern is more about the legality of things in case of an accident/lawsuit.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

In order to be legal and under the max requirements for towing a living quarters horse trailer, one should move to a truck that can handle the load properly - as in handle a payload of 25% of the gooseneck GVWR on the pin.

The truck mfg GVWR nor your trucks GVWR based payload sticker is used for any legal load limits nor are they used in a civil over weight lawsuit. Courts do not determine a trucks legal load limits.
Just the trucks axle/tire load ratings. Some states use a registered weight number for registration. My state doesn't. Just axle/tire load numbers.

If your concerned with your trucks legal load limits simply drop by your local state troop post and ask one of their certified size and weight officers what your trucks legal load limits will be. If one isn't on duty or close by most dispatchers are good about calling one in or make a meeting point for you to talk with them. And some times the shift captain may be able to give you a answer.

I've pulled trailers commercially with the same trucks we rv with.
The only legal issues I've seen were exceeding a steer/drive or trailer axle/tire load numbers.

As someone mentioned weigh your trucks front and rear axles separately. Then you will know how much your truck can legally carry.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"IF" you have a sticker in the glove box that says max bed cargo rating of 1792 lbs, that also assumes you have 3-6 150 lb lbs or however many seat belts you have. So total payload is around 2600 lbs. truck would weigh about 7400 lbs empty.
IF your reading a true brochure, issue with that, is they use a BASE model truck for the most part. ALTHO if it states a platnum pkg, your probably ok to use that number. I've seen the same model truck per say, and crew cab dullies weigh over 600-700 lbs difference between a base, and a loaded leather setup, assuming the same motor cab, bed length etc.
Again, best to weight your truck empty if you really want to know what you have in payload if you can not find enough info on the truck via stickers in glove box or drivers door pillar. I've usually found these stickers to be with in 20 lbs, or a typical scale weight measure use. Most scales work in 20 lb increments, not 1 lb increments.
So pay for a truck registration that is on par to slightly greater than you will weight going down the road, you are good from a State patrol standpoint. I can license pickups here in Wa st up to 20K per axel, or in reality, 500 lbs per inch width of tire. That is around 10-12K per axel for a SW rig. A dual 35 series with usually get 20K on the rear, and upwards of 12K on the front. So ask yourself this question. If you stay with in the manufacture axel weight ratings, will you be truly overweight per the federal bridge laws which is what and LEO is supposed to enforce, along with how much weight you ahve a paid for? Reality, no one will be truly over weight!
If you have a dually class 3 or larger truck, especially class 5 or over trucks, then you have more issues with going over an axel weight than single wheel class 1-3 trucks will.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/21 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP...if you got that payload figure from a guide you were looking at, that is not for your truck. There is a tire loading max payload sticker on your very own truck's door pillar, that reads max payload wt not to exceed xxxx. this is the one that if 2,000 lbs, means your truck weighed 8,000 lbs as it left the factory.

In any case, if you added spring support, your useable pin weight on rear axle will be your tire rating. On your truck they should be max rated about 3,490 x 2, so 6,980. Stay under that by several hundred lbs,and enjoy the tow.

Jerry

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

The definition of legal weight will be decided in civil court if there is a suit. The opposing lawyer will attempt to show negligence anyway possible. If the lawyers can establish one where exceeding any of the manufacturers ratings it will give them data and ammunition to use against someone.
Now I don't believe this data is routinely presented in court because for the most part the hard data is not available.
However I'm not naïve enough to believe over ratings data is never presented in civil court.
Civil court is not traffic court. Civil court is not deciding if you get a ticket. Civil court decides on negligence and the law suit portion of a case. In a case involving loss of life there are often two trials!
Once that truck or trailer leaves the scene of the accident the lawyer loses all ability to prove anything.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing capacity vs max cargo weight rating
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.