Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How much weight could be eliminated?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How much weight could be eliminated?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

Hoping this thread will get back on track or die out if there isn't enough interest in the topic to keep it alive.

You are making broadband statement in the forum having whole variety of different models.
Your questions totally miss Pop-up owners.
They don't apply period.
Just like you did not answer how you plan to use your camper.
Different set for Texas or Florida, different for Alaska
Finally - is shaving 200lb from 17,000 lb rig really such a big deal?
You did pull a trailer for your vacations, didn't you? [emoticon]

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This isn't for my rig personally, it is a hypothetical exercise of how much could be saved if budget wasn't an issue. Yes, some compromise might be involved that wouldn't work for everyone. AC and Propane Stove being the two top issues but not everyone uses their AC while camping (I don't) and a propane cooktop could still be had with a small cooktop and smaller propane bottles versus 2 20lb bottles.

By my very rough estimate, the items I listed (and I am just guessing on weight for things like jacks and stove) add up to nearly 600lbs that could in theory be shaved off a camper. That isn't something to sneeze at. Heck, if I could find the volume, and cost wasn't a problem I would do that just to store another 72 gallons of fresh water for boondocking.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, I think what your describing is not so good. I have a lance 1181 and weight simply is not an issue as it's really heavy. I'm not trying to be snarky but there are many on here that have pop ups they describe weigh under 2000 pounds. Even lighter. If you have the bucks Cirrus just produced the Cirrus 650. A real beauty, small and very light weight. Just contributing to the conversation.

Siletzspey

Shedd, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/21 11:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I swapped out 2 FLA batteries for 2 LFPs and saved 66 pounds. And to gain the full benefit of the LFPs I upgraded some copper wiring, but that added back 50 pounds.

--tg

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never been concerned with weight.

I bought the truck and camper that I wanted and load whatever I want to take with me. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Bradymydog

Western MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Long distance backpackers refer to the people that conduct this exercise as "Gram Weenies". They weigh each item carried or worn. The same approach applies here. Start by listing everything on the back of and in your truck. Weighing each item make a spreadsheet with alternatives and their respective weight savings based upon your level of comfort and desired amount of safety margin.

I am currently getting ready to upgrade to LI batteries in phases. Phase 1 is to add 2 Li batteries vs 1 FLA. The weight savings is nearly zero. However, this will nearly be 4x the amount of available power. Phase II is to add 300 watts of solar (no inverter as we do not need one) and ditch the built in generator - weight savings approximately 50 lbs. due to weight of the added solar components. Those 50 pounds are going to cost approximately $100/lb!

Reducing propane consumption by eliminating the generator may result in removal of (1) 20lb propane tank is a cost effective option I am considering also.

JohnJM

Wycombe PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

I've never been concerned with weight.

I bought the truck and camper that I wanted and load whatever I want to take with me. [emoticon]

that pretty much sums up my attitude as well. The one thing I do is if im not boondocking I dont filled the water tank.

John M

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bradymydog wrote:

Long distance backpackers refer to the people that conduct this exercise as "Gram Weenies".

[image]

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't worry about weight,never have, even with my 3/4 tons..I always have what I might need if something happened 50 miles from humanity and it has..I take my ATV trailer for my UTV,no other way to have them with you with a truck camper..If I was staying for a long time back in the mountains,my ATV trailer would also have extra water/propane and gas..

The first time I ever weighed anything but a semi,was when I was first on here and out of curiosity only..

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

I just wanted this thread to be more about talking about ideas and options available to help save weight for those that need to or are interested. Not all options make sense for all people but some options might make sense for some people.

The problem is, none of your solutions affect the weight enough to bring a rig out of the "danger zone." If 10lbs is going to make a difference between life and death, you're playing it way too close to the edge in the first place.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How much weight could be eliminated?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.