Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How much weight could be eliminated?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How much weight could be eliminated?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

If I was staying for a long time back in the mountains, my ATV trailer would also have extra water/propane and gas..

Pretty simple isn't it.

How much simpler can one explain that towing a trailer with an ATV on it has absolutely nothing to do with how big one's camper is.

[image]

[image]

So Kayteg0, what size truck camper do I need to carry my ATV, extra gas, propane, fresh water and fire wood inside it??

I think for a single guy my 11'3" camper is big enough.

I'm still waiting for you to show me where and when I whined about how small of an amount of stuff I take with me inside my camper.

Don't bother to answer. You never addressed my previous questions.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

adamis wrote:

I just wanted this thread to be more about talking about ideas and options available to help save weight for those that need to or are interested. Not all options make sense for all people but some options might make sense for some people.

The problem is, none of your solutions affect the weight enough to bring a rig out of the "danger zone." If 10lbs is going to make a difference between life and death, you're playing it way too close to the edge in the first place.

This is why I never upgraded my lead acid batts, What's a hundred pounds give or take. I did upgrade to twin fiberglass propane tanks but they were smaller and ran out quickly back to good old steel.

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I just wasn't clear in my original message. The question isn't what each individual weight savings could be but the aggregate whole if one did them all. Hence the title, "how much weight could be eliminated?". In the last post I made where I tried to guide this back on track to my original question, I estimated savings of 600lb that potentially could be saved if all of the items I listed were done. Expensive and impractical sure but impossible no.

For those of us driving dually 1 ton trucks 600lbs probably doesn't mean a whole lot. But for folks in the 1/2 ton and 3/4 range the weight savings could mean a larger camper for them that ordinarily they wouldn't be able to consider. Those of you that are fortunate to own a 1 ton truck or can afford to "buy what I want" without giving it much consideration, congrats, maybe this thread doesn't make sense for you. There are a lot of people that want to get into truck camping and already have a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck that changing doesn't make sense or is unaffordable. Fully loaded dually trucks used are in the $20+k range and if you go new, you are looking at $50k to $90k.

Maybe the list of upgrades I suggested might add up to $5k to $10k but that is significantly cheaper to take 600lbs off a camper and use the truck one owns then to buy a new truck that one has to make payments on or might not fit in the garage or driveway. Just saying, if this concept of trying to save weight doesn't make sense to you then obviously it doesn't make sense to you. Again, this thread was intended to be a hypothetical exercise for discussion sake but unfortunately it has gone off the rails.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

600 lbs isn’t significant. I’m not sure what your end game is. Are you just trying to exercise your mind? You could probably lose 600 lbs off the truck as well, btw.

It’s not clear to me that you’d be better off removing items compared to selling and rebuying. But, I’ve only said that 2 times. Maybe 3 times is the charm. [emoticon]

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

600 lb?
Ford's aluminum body and other diet shaved 500lb between MY 2016 and 2017.

happycamper1942

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/21 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take off the truck tailgate, remove one propane tank, travel with fresh water tank half full,( or less if you are heading somewhere with hook-ups), empty your tanks frequently.
Bt doing this you will save quite a few pounds and won't affect your camping experience.

2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2005 28 foot Gulfstream Innsbruck 5th wheel.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

I don't worry about weight,never have, even with my 3/4 tons..I always have what I might need if something happened 50 miles from humanity and it has..I take my ATV trailer for my UTV,no other way to have them with you with a truck camper..If I was staying for a long time back in the mountains,my ATV trailer would also have extra water/propane and gas..

The first time I ever weighed anything but a semi,was when I was first on here and out of curiosity only..

Amen brotha! Except I’ve never gone across the scales except at the garbage dump.
And since I haven’t thrown away a camper, I don’t know what one weighs!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/21 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you even tell the difference in shedding just a few hundred pounds?

I read once where someone claimed, driving an F-350 dually with a huge camper that he could tell a difference in the handling just by removing the spare tire from under the bed. [emoticon]

I'm sure the from one trip to another my weight may have gone up or down by a couple hundred pounds and I've ever noticed a difference.

Maybe 1000 pounds would make a difference but I don't have 1000 pounds of stuff that I could eliminate.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/21 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think your making a mistake trying to eliminate the propane system. keep the stove fridge and furnace and tanks, they dont add up to much but they are the most convenient way to do things with out having to plug in. I guess you could look at using a diesel espar type heater, dont know about the weight savings but it would be a litle more efficent power wise. going to lithium batteries would be your biggest single shot weight reduction I would think. is there a certian amount of weight you need to lose, you could also make sure your utility trailer is loaded so only 10% of the total weight is on the hitch to minimize what your putting on the truck..

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/21 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get what the intent here is (in-tent is where you’ll end up lol) but seriously you’ll never notice a few hundred pounds. The whole point of carrying a truck camper is to HAVE all those things.
I want AC, jacks, a microwave, etc.
if you insist on using a 1/2 ton truck, you shouldn’t be hauling a camper anyway.
I used to do it. Never again, and there’s NO reason for it.
You can buy a 3/4 ton or 1-ton just as cheap unless you’re only willing to buy a brand new diesel.
I see guys all the time saying they can’t afford a bigger truck when they’re already driving a truck that cost more than any of mine ever have. .

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How much weight could be eliminated?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.