Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Options for new 5er - help choosing

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Artic Fox 27-5L

Winegard carryout G2+ Sat dish (dish/direct)(HD sat-call for options) $1485
This option makes zero sense. I can purchase a G3 upgraded sat ant for around $500. What does an extra $1,000 gain me?

Gateway Router $488
This one I'm thinking is a no. We're already using a hotspot from OTR that seems to work fine.

Satellite is an interesting problem, I've never had an issue picking up the main broadcast stations, until this trip. I think I only get ABC. Gave up on Cable and satellite years ago. Short of putting up a separate antenna...

Third question is on AC. They offer low pro 15k (and regular 15k) for the back AC. We'll be adding front low pro 13.5k option. Just wondering if there's any advantage of low pro over standard unit.
3 REPLIES 3

learntorv
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Gateway Router $488
This one I'm thinking is a no. We're already using a hotspot from OTR that seems to work fine.

This one really depends on how many devices you have and where they're located in relation to the hotspot.

A mobile hotspot puts out a large wifi network that can be seen from a distance of 30-50' but the speeds drop off after about 10' and those speeds are further decimated when there's a wall in the way.

The Gateway Router likely publishes a stronger camper-wide network. You likely tell it to get it's internet from your hotspot device.

As for if it's worth $488.... I don't know. It's nice to have the installation done for you. But that's a lot of bones.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I have a standard Coleman 15K AC unit toward the back of our 5th Wheel and a low profile 13.5K Coleman AC in the front. The difference in height of the units is only 2 inches. I'm not sure that 2 inches is going to make much of a difference.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
If you are planning to add solar panels to your roof the low AC may help with no shadows on the panels.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.