cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best tire inflator for dually tires

jimbo4UT
Explorer
Explorer
I need an inflator that has an extension to reach my dually tires. My slime brand inflator has the screw on valve so I have no way to connect any extension. I don’t mind changing brands just need something that works.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jimbo
34 REPLIES 34

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the VAIR 400P-RV model 40047 kit is the best available setup for adjusting tire pressure of Class C tires. Amazon price is $299.53, free shipping. Available cheaper from other sources but may not come with all accessories.

I use an old Campbell Hausfeld 2-gallon tank compressor but it takes time and fiddling to bring tires up to 80 psi.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II

jimbo4UT
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great !!!

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
My old high quality inflator died, so I started looking around. I bought a Harbor freight inflator, I know what your thinking.

https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-chuck-tire-inflator-with-dial-gauge-63049.html

Took the straight foot off my old one and put it on the HF one and bought a quality oil filled pressure gauge to replace the junk one on the HF valve. Happy with the results.

jrobert01
Explorer
Explorer
Had the VIAIR for 16 yrs. works great as it always has and so convenient.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
I think this is the best inflator and accessories I’ve ever had. The compressor is auto-shutoff, meaning you can use closed air chucks just like a real compressor, and it will shutoff when the hose pressurizes to the cutoff pressure. The dually extension is very well designed, and is all I use to inflate my truck tires. It comes with enough hose to reach your trailer tires as well. Yeah, it’s not cheap. Buy once, cry once.

Viair 400P-RV

:):)
I AGREE !!! This thing works great. I use it at work for flat tires and it fills them fairly fast. The long, straight inflator is great for duallies.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
My 2018 Ram with alloy wheels has little 2 inch plastic extensions on the inner tires that have a little white button that has to be depressed to air up or down. I don't trust them. I tried cheap chinese valve extensions and good Milton extensions. Neither would work consistently. They both had to be screwed on to the tire valve in an exact spot to be able to press against the inner valve stem on the tire. I tried screwing the tire valve in and out and never could hit the sweet spot. I have reverted to the plastic OEM extensions. I did get some extras from my dealer.
I air up and down a lot. I air up to hitch the 5th and air back down as soon as the 5th is off and in storage.
I have heard that the equalizer system has a problem in that if one tire leaks down the other one will too. True?
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Harvey51 wrote:
I used the Milton inflator tool on the right for a couple of years until it started leaking air.

I have the same ~10" straight dually Milton tool I've used for my last two class C's (17 years-ish.) It has and does work great. I had to replace valve stems with longer units to be able to check pressure and add air with the cheap simulators in place on the rear, but it was worth it for about $20/wheel, one time expense. Extensions would probably work too.
Patrick

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks like you did settle for the best solution,that is extending the valve stems.

Might I suggest that maybe the next time you get tires or decide to make a permanent fix to install extended valve stems.

The ones you need are from Borg AKA Your Tire Supply. Dually Kit

They will look like this. The valve stems for Duallys. I have a set from another vendor that was the original maker of them and have been on my Class C for over 10 years with no leaks or problems. You can Check the pressure on all tires in a matter of minutes.

Valve stems
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

jimbo4UT
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I started this mess - here is how I finally fixed my dually tire issue. Oh first off the 1/4x1/4 fittings don’t work and so neither will the air chuck extension - at least for my air compressor. So the final solution was to buy 8 inch valve extensions . Don’t get ahead of me as here is what I did. I simply attach it to the valve stem then check air pressure and air up as needed. NOW I simply unscrew the extension and put it up. IT does NOT stay on the tire valve - it’s just a way to add or check air. Problem fixed and I don’t need a new air compressor. Sorry I made this way more complicated than it needed to be.

Thanks everyone

Jimbo

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
My solution is to carry a small 120V compressor and the appropriate hose and dually inflator chuck. The compressor I carry is a Fini AirBoss, which I am quite satisfied with and recommend, though there are others that are similar in price and size and seem to have good reviews (such as the new Harbor Freight low-noise compressor). The AirBoss is nice and compact and relatively quiet, which is to say that it's rather loud but not quite VERY LOUD as many oilless (and some other) compressors are.

If I need to use it when I don't have an electricity connection somewhere, I fire up the generator in the motorhome. If the generator won't work for some reason and I have a flat tire (and the spare isn't up to pressure), then it's just going to be one of those days!

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
Viair 300P has enough power for 110 PSI tires. Add the Viair 30 foot extension hose and you will have more than enough length to reach the rear tires. Good idea to carry a couple of spare fuses for the compressor.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
For my Sprinter chassis View, I used a Milton 12 inch with a straight on the end and a angled back connector, the one that someone was complaining about above, never had a moments problem with it. I did replace the metal ends that hold the seals in, they have gripping grooves on them that would hang on the stems and you would loose air trying to get them to disengage so I replaced them with nuts that are smooth inside. I installed Alligator V2B inflate thru caps (you do not put a cap on them, they are the cap, those are not threads, they are gripping grooves for the filler tool.

https://www.amazon.com/Alligator-V2B-Inflate-Through-Valve/dp/B014VCY3S2

Here is the Milton filler I used.

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-693-12-Extended-Reach-Chuck/dp/B004QI1WEA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=393TA...

and here is the Milton replacement nuts for the chuck with smooth insides instead of grooved.

https://www.miltonindustries.com/dual-head-chuck-nut

Added my own air hose nipple and used my shop hoses. For a gauge I used a long stem dual head like the Milton inflator chuck.

https://www.amazon.com/TireTek-Truck-Pro-Pressure-Gauge-Heavy/dp/B00XCANO4O/ref=sr_1_33_sspa?crid=39...

Not what I used but similar. I removed the wheel simulators, they are horrible. Its a truck, simple hub caps will do on the front. Mercedes and GM make hubcaps for their dual style wheels on the front. Not sure about Fords.

Here is the correct replacement seal for the dual head Milton chucks.

https://www.miltonindustries.com/dual-straight-head-chuck-washer

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I usually check and inflate my tires if needed before each trip,I have extended valve stems so no need for an extension.

I wanted something that was accurate and easy to read and the the long foot on it is a plus,so I opted for This One
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C