Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Trailer hitch pin
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailer hitch pin

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That’s what locking hitch pins are for.
Also helps keep your hitch in your possession.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

canoe on top

Denver, CO, US

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's why they make locking hitch pins.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also why everyone should check/recheck there equipment ANYtime you get ready to GO.
Prior to leaving CG
Before leaving Rest Area
After stopping at a restaurant
ANYTIME you have been away from your rig

I do a walk away everytime. Habit!

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Also why everyone should check/recheck there equipment ANYtime you get ready to GO.
Prior to leaving CG
Before leaving Rest Area
After stopping at a restaurant
ANYTIME you have been away from your rig

I do a walk away everytime. Habit!

Yes, before you leave. But I like to check every thing just as soon as I stop. Touch each tire and hub for heat. Earlier I find the problem the better.

As for the pin. When you think about the TW forcing the ball mount off-center of the hole, it would take a lot of force to pull the mount out even without the pin.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

canoe on top wrote:

Locks CAN be easily defeated or broken and only deter "casual thieves" or "casual pranksters".

A determined thief or prankster can disable most locking hitch pins (or locks) in seconds flat.

Additionally in Northern areas were salt is heavily used to "de ice" roads you might find yourself with a rusted/damaged/frozen lock that won't easily come apart when you want it to..

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/21 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"but I always have worried about the safety pin that holds the hitch pin from sliding out."

Another reason for a locking pin.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

canoe on top wrote:

Locks CAN be easily defeated or broken and only deter "casual thieves" or "casual pranksters".

A determined thief or prankster can disable most locking hitch pins (or locks) in seconds flat.

Additionally in Northern areas were salt is heavily used to "de ice" roads you might find yourself with a rusted/damaged/frozen lock that won't easily come apart when you want it to..

That's why they make oil. And if you've froze one of the good hitch pin locks on from corrosion, and had to remove it, you'd realize that the determined prankster would need a die grinder, sawzall or equivalent.
It's not getting unhooked by anyone who isn't serious about stealing the trailer and not without some noise and sparks.

What's your foolproof solution? Use a normal hitch pin with a cotter pin and hope noone steals your hitch when the trailer isn't hooked up?

* This post was edited 01/11/21 05:25pm by Grit dog *

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/21 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

As far as strength of the hitch pin goes, don't know exactly, but the same diameter pin is used for 2x2 and 2.5x2.5 hitches.. Just the length of the pin is longer for the 2.5 hitches.. Can't say for sure on the 3x3 hitches but I suspect most likely the same diameter to allow compatibility for using an smaller hitch accessory like a bike rack or lighter weight hitch via adapter sleeves.

Nope, the 3" uses a 3/4" pin. I think that most are using a 5/8" and that is unsafe. Those using adapters would need to drill the holes larger on the adapter and the shank, do you think that ever happens?

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

As far as strength of the hitch pin goes, don't know exactly, but the same diameter pin is used for 2x2 and 2.5x2.5 hitches.. Just the length of the pin is longer for the 2.5 hitches.. Can't say for sure on the 3x3 hitches but I suspect most likely the same diameter to allow compatibility for using an smaller hitch accessory like a bike rack or lighter weight hitch via adapter sleeves.

Nope, the 3" uses a 3/4" pin. I think that most are using a 5/8" and that is unsafe. Those using adapters would need to drill the holes larger on the adapter and the shank, do you think that ever happens?

Like I said, I wasn't sure on 3" hitches, I personally have 2.5"x2.5" hitches and the hitch pins ARE the same diameter as 2x2 hitches I used to have. The only difference between 2" and 2.5" hitch pins are length..

Need a longer pin for 2.5" hitches..

If 3" hitch uses 3/4" pin then one could use a 5/8" diameter pin provided it is long enough and even though it would be a sloppy fit so yes, one could use a bike rack designed for a smaller hitch..

Not saying it is a good idea, I personally didn't care for the slack with 2" to 2.5" sleeves so I upgraded my hitch shank and even the upgraded hitch shack had too much slop so I welded beads around the shank to get rid of the slop.. Not many people would be willing to weld and grind the hitch shank to fit properly.

But back to the subject, I try to check to make sure no one has tampered with my hitch from the pin to the hitch head, chains and even tether cable when ever I stop and leave the vehicle out of sight.. Just makes me feel good that all is the same as I left it.

Pin for 2" and 2.5" hitches are sturdy enough for the loads they get, basically they are in a "Shear" type of use, takes a lot of pressure to shear cut off 5/8" bolt but keep in mind you have to shear off TWO SIDES at the same time.. Basically the same as shearing 1.25" diameter bolt..

According to HERE A 5/8" hitch pin should be close to grade 8 bolt specs.. Which would have 150,000 lb Tensile strength.. Shear mode is typically 60% of Tensile strength..

So, 5/8" hitch pin should be good for around 90,000 lbs..

But wait, there is more, that pin HAS to shear off in TWO points of contact at the same time in order to lose a hitch so now we are looking at 180,000 lbs!

That is 90 TONS of shearing pressure required..

I suspect the hitch components will fail before the pin..

Also don't assume since you may have a locking pin that it WILL stay locked either..

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/21 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“As far as strength of the hitch pin goes, don't know exactly,..”

eTrailer’s $18 locking hitch pin is rated...15k. Plenty for most trailerites. Stop all thieves? No but better than nothing.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Lock/etrailer/e98881.html

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailer hitch pin
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.