cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trion V10

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
This past Sat I heard on local radio station call in program about anything automotive/off road etc where a caller asked about the Triton V-10 in a Class A and the host more/less shot the engine down. Told the caller to shy away from it. I thought that this was a very good engine overall. What's the take on it?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
26 REPLIES 26

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Was this a GM sponsored show?

GM sponsors shows on backwater AM talk radio stations to bash the competition? Interesting. Please tune in to Joe the mechanics Automotive advice line Saturday morning at 10 on KEGR, sponsored by Mary Barra.

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
I had two different RV's with V-10 engines. Both were 2000 yr models. Best gas RV engine out there. Put about 65,000 miles on these without any issues. Both were nearing the 100,000 mile mark when I sold them

I have a son who is in the automotive repair service business. He takes care of a number of fleet vehicles with V-10 engines. Plug blowing out problem is far and few between. Usually it happens when people change plugs and do not properly torque the plug.

When one does blow out it is a simple process to fix. He would hilo coil the plug. He never had one come back after doing this process. Kit is available at NAPA.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We've owned our 2011 for only 3 years and 15k miles. I'm impressed. It does wind up, but it may be the most effortless high rpm I've experienced. Very smooth and happy to be revving.

From all my internet research, it seems to be in the top tier of all time reliability.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The biggest complaints are :

โ€ข Loud, because it has to use lower gear/higher RPM to climb hills
โ€ข Not the best fuel economy.

I experienced the opposite. I had two of the chevy chassis and then one V10. the chevys seemed to drop to a lower gear quicker and roar whereas the v10 seemed smoother.
bumpy

Now it's a pickup not MH but I agree compared to other pickups.

If it's turning 3000-3500rpm to climb a grade, it's smooth and quiet about it.

I agree. My 02 Excursion with the V-10 and 4.30 gears was somewhat loud at WOT. But I also had a K&N cold air intake on it. Now with the class A even sitting on top of the engine I can talk to my wife normally even when climbing a mountain. I do definitely believe the insulation and the way itโ€™s built have a lot to do with it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:

This depends on the base insulation. On our Allegro 36LA, the RPMs are the issue. At lower RPMs, we have no issues with talking in normal voice. With higher RPMs, like climbing a steep inclines, the noise level rises beyond normal conversation. Our rig has insulation (Dynamat style) installed by mfgr, which makes a world of difference.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bumpyroad wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:

I experienced the opposite. I had two of the chevy chassis and then one V10. the chevys seemed to drop to a lower gear quicker and roar whereas the v10 seemed smoother.
bumpy

Now it's a pickup not MH but I agree compared to other pickups.

If it's turning 3000-3500rpm to climb a grade, it's smooth and quiet about it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:

bumpy

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
No problems with mine.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
V10 is a very reliable beast. Modern ones even have power management that protects the engine from over rev and over heat and more. I have owned 2 in 36-37 foot MHs and would buy another.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I had 3 V-10 Triton's and all 3 performed great. No problems. The motorhomes were all 31 or 32' .. averaged 8.5 mpg, towing/not towing, uphill/downhill. 2004, 2009 and a 2011.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œIt may be he owned one of the plug poppers...โ€

Plug poppers? On radio? I never!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
In fairness to the Show.. It may be he owned one of the plug poppers.. and has never given them a 2nd chance.

Fact: I recall one episode of Car Talk, the PBS show with Click and Clack the tappet brothers.

The complaint: Drive all day no problem
Drive at night dead battery

They prescribed a new alternator which DID fix it. however I'd never have spent that much.. Cars of that vintage used "V" belts not "Serp" belts. and as part of the alternator replacement..... They adjusted the belt tension.

I fixed 5 cars (2 of them mine) with that kind of problem

Mine.. one I tightened the belt. another I had to replace the belt as the specified belt was the wrong size.

Two I told 'em to tighten it up

one (Sticker still in window) They forgot somethign at ye old factory.. THE BELT
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I owned 99 Bounder with a V10, I drove it over 35,000 miles including trips to Florida, Texas, Iowa, Colorado, Washington and Alaska. That is to say it took us over hill and dale without nary a whimper. True, in the mountains, it would really wind up going up some of those passes but never gave us any moments of concern.

The guy on the radio may have been talking of one isolated incident with a V10, but that could be the case with any engine or vehicle. I believe the vast majority of owners of the V10 engine will say they are very reliable.

If I were looking for an RV with a V10 and I liked the floor plan, and everything else checked out, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

That's my story and I am sticking to it

Happy travels. Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime