Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tire went flat in the driveay. Damage?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tire went flat in the driveay. Damage?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/21 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

I've never been able to get the ether to do anything but light the tire on fire and burn off my knuckle hairs. Use a little. Tire fire. Use a little more. Bigger tire fire. Use even more. Even bigger tire fire. Just could not get the "whoomph!" that everyone else seems to be able to get.

You missed a critical step. Did you say "hold my beer" first?

Didn't have any beer, and nobody was around to hold one anyway...

I ended up getting pi$$ed off and using a ratchet strap.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/21 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Missing the 'over center' moment of the safety bead and that RMA and all tire/wheel OEMs say to NOT EXCEED 40 PSI during the tire seating process...AND...do NOT stand over the tire/wheel assembly during the seating process.

Wetting the tire & wheel bead area with soap isn't just to help the tire bead go over the rim, but to grease the sliding of the tire bead over the wheel safety bead.

Also, there is an instant acceleration and abrupt stop when the tire bead goes over the safety bead...to then hit the wheel rim.

If the rim isn't in good shape, it can come apart as the tire bead hits it.

Working my way through college had one part-time job as a tire monkey to pay for time at track sessions & to purchase tires wholesale. Owner hired a full time tire monkey after one of the senior guys retired. That new guy worked VERY fast but got fired after an explosion that almost blew out the showroom windows.

It knocked that guy down and the 2 guys on both sides of his workstation. The manager went over to check and first thing he checked was the tire machine's bead setting air line. That new guy had reset it to 90PSI...over twice the recommended max PSI of 40.

Using an explosive gas to seat the bead is VERY dangerous. Especially with an alloy wheel. Betcha that explosive gas PSI against the wheel rim is many times more than the recommended 40 PSI...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tire went flat in the driveay. Damage?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.