cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Waste Tote Recommendations

Loganhorse
Explorer
Explorer
What brand waste tote is everyone running? My tanks are 34 and 32 gallons. Will mostly run off fresh water tank which is 36 gallons. My intention is to dump both tanks when I fill the fresh water, so a 36 gallon tote or bigger is ideal. Also, a level gauge would be awesome. Looking at the Camco Rhino?
2010 Coachman Freedom Express M-291 QBS
24 REPLIES 24

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Barker 32 gallon 4 wheel unit, bought it for a 10 day beach stay when I had my previous trailer with 15 gallon tanks. Now that I have 39 gallon and 28 gallon tanks I probably won't need it again until I go full time and decide to go do extended boondocking trips. It worked very well other than the fact that the discharge hose was visibly worn after 3 uses. I already had the Rhino shorty hose in my wishlist so should I need it again I'll be ordering that.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
I have a barker 42 gallon with pneumatic wheels. Works like a champ.
Yes it is heavy when its full, but you don't have to pick it up!
It rolls like a red wagon.
You simply roll it to the truck and the truck pulls it to the dump.
The 42 gallon tote holds the entire contents of my 40 gallon grey tank.
I can dump everything in one trip!

I second Lantley on this one. Have same 42 gallon Barker with pneumatic wheels. Had smaller Barker tank in the past, did not like it. I like being able to push/pull that tank, not have to lift one end of it.

Definitely nice to be able to empty your entire tank at once, too. Makes for a lot less chance of having a nasty mess to clean up, if no water is sitting in the hoses when you disconnect. ๐Ÿ™‚
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
A person I talked to on another site, that liked to have the ability to use lots of water carried a few 7 gallon water containers in the TV. Used a masarater to grind and pump the poop to the containers while in the truck. Then only had to lift down to dump. A hose could be used so no need to lift at all, just hook up and turn container over.

learntorv
Explorer
Explorer
ZINGERLITE wrote:
This is the first ive ever heard of it refered to as a "turd hearse" and i've been laughing for 20min now.

Ha! Thanks for the compliment. ๐Ÿ™‚

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
learntorv wrote:
Better than a tote tank is a sewer bladder. Higher capacity and more easily transferred to the dump station.

Problem is getting the companyโ€™s attention to make one:
Better than a turd hearse - sewer bladder

I have a friend who made his own and another who uses an Aquatank freshwater bladder.

This is the first ive ever heard of it refered to as a "turd hearse" and i've been laughing for 20min now.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 10 gallon I bought 15 years ago. Iโ€™ve only used it a handful of times, while a 20gallon would be nice I havenโ€™t had a need for it. I make 2 trips for the gray water. 20 gallons would be heavy!

BTW, I wouldnโ€™t use it for the black tank. Too much chance for a mess.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

gdweb
Explorer
Explorer
been using 27 gal thetford for last 7 years, black and grey water. with no problems. main thing is make sure you get a 4 wheel model. no lifting and easier to move around.
SEMPER FI

Gary & Diane
Ky
2020 F250 King Ranch 6.7l FX4
2013 Sundance 3270res

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I will say , whatever one you get, fill it up at home and test it out before using it. Lets just say i had a crappy one.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Loganhorse
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
Years ago I bought a 15 gallon tote, because so many people here said it was a necessity. Then I realized that most campgrounds where we dry camp didn't have a dump station, so it was useless.
It sat under the workbench out in the shop for years, until I sold it for $5 in a garage sale.
My point is, before spending the money on such a thing, be sure it is usable where you usually camp. It isn't much good when the nearest dump station is miles away!
Conserving fresh water and using the provided (if they are) vault toilets helps avoid filling the waste tanks.

We will use it. Camper is basically our weekend getaway at the lake. Most will be gray water from giving the kid a bath and doing dishes.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I bought a 15 gallon tote, because so many people here said it was a necessity. Then I realized that most campgrounds where we dry camp didn't have a dump station, so it was useless.
It sat under the workbench out in the shop for years, until I sold it for $5 in a garage sale.
My point is, before spending the money on such a thing, be sure it is usable where you usually camp. It isn't much good when the nearest dump station is miles away!
Conserving fresh water and using the provided (if they are) vault toilets helps avoid filling the waste tanks.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a barker 42 gallon with pneumatic wheels. Works like a champ.
Yes it is heavy when its full, but you don't have to pick it up!
It rolls like a red wagon.
You simply roll it to the truck and the truck pulls it to the dump.
The 42 gallon tote holds the entire contents of my 40 gallon grey tank.
I can dump everything in one trip!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Loganhorse
Explorer
Explorer
Rover_Bill wrote:
Besides capacity be sure you check out the physical size of the tote and where you plan to store it when not in use. I selected a 25 gal Tote-N-Stor for my 30 gal grey tank (NEVER tote black water). It's stores easily under the bed and is light enough for easy maneuvering around the trailer and the dump site. I don't wait for the grey tank to be 100% full before dumping.

Long as it slid under the trailer when not in use would be fine. The camper goes down in March and comes home in November so transportation I could just put it in the bed of the truck.

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Besides capacity be sure you check out the physical size of the tote and where you plan to store it when not in use. I selected a 25 gal Tote-N-Stor for my 30 gal grey tank (NEVER tote black water). It's stores easily under the bed and is light enough for easy maneuvering around the trailer and the dump site. I don't wait for the grey tank to be 100% full before dumping.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Loganhorse
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
I have a 12 year old Barker 2 wheel model 32 gallon. Still works fine. If you go bigger get a 4 wheeler. Thetford makes a good tote too. They're primarily used for gray water.

I will be using it for black water also. There are bath houses so black water will be minimal.