cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram 3500 with factory airbags

billsnp5
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new Ram 3500 DRW with factory airbags for my camper. I just loaded the camper on it for the first time and it looks great. The issue I have is after loading camper the airbags brought the truck up to the same height as it was when unloaded so the overloads are not touching the rubber stops and are not in play. There is a 1 to 1 1/2 inch gap between the rubber stops and bottom of springs. It doesn't make sense that they would even have the overload springs on the truck if they aren't going to be used. I would like the overloads to help the airbags so all weight is not on the airbags. Am I overthinking this or does someone make a bigger rubber stop or something else to put on the overloads. Here is a photo of front stop.
2021 Host Cascade
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4X4 Crew Cab Diesel
2013 Phoenix 721 Bass Boat
24 REPLIES 24

Gary_Morency
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy thicker bumpstops and they will take up the space your talking about I installed them on my 18 and they help a lot with sway but give you a harder ride empty. That space we have with the factory ones is there for that reason. I just remove them when the camper isn;t going to be used for a while.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
The RAM air suspension is certainly not full air suspension as you might see on a semi. Many differences starting with the semi-elliptic spring to locate the axle.

But I'd agree that the thing being called an "overload" is actually intended to prevent axle wrap, not carry any load. That system will also have some problems with torque jacking of the suspension - they should have stuck with and refined their first attempt. Or better still, licensed the system from Autoflex, who solved this problem (how to easily install true air suspension with no frame mods).
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

bwlyon
Explorer
Explorer
You’re overthinking. The Ram air suspension is doing exactly what is supposed to do. If you want your suspension to sit a little lower use the Alt Ride Height button. Otherwise, don’t worry about it.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
towpro wrote:
lots of replies on here have never seen the ram air suspension. .

Neither did you.
It doesn't exist.

why do you need to treat people like this?
Maybe its time you give the internet a rest?

PS: Here is the name right out of the place you order the "automatic level-rear air suspension
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
So one more post to add clarity.
The 1st gen of the Ram Air Suspension came out in 2013 or 2014 and looked like the picture below.

Then in 2018 they appear to have made changes to make the addition of the Air Suspension a easier process. Now instead of having to add a bracket to the frame for the upper link arm, now it all goes in the leaf spring brackets. Now there are basically traction bars under the single leaf to prevent axle wrap. That bar only goes forward of the axle.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
billsnp5 wrote:
it does exist as I have one. I have a 5K+ camper on the truck and you can look at picture I posted of the overload spring and they are not being used with 5K+ sitting on truck. I measured the distance from trailer ball to ground before and after loading camper and it measures the same. I cannot say for sure but seems as tho this is a full air suspension rear end.

I don’t think the lower leafs with the bumper is an overload spring. I believe it replaces the link arm of the earlier version to prevent axle wrap.
Looking at the design, with the newer version there is no difference in the frame, no need for a link arm bracket.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
billsnp5 wrote:
I cannot say for sure but seems as tho this is a full air suspension rear end.

Are you saying you don't have steel springs?

billsnp5
Explorer
Explorer
it does exist as I have one. I have a 5K+ camper on the truck and you can look at picture I posted of the overload spring and they are not being used with 5K+ sitting on truck. I measured the distance from trailer ball to ground before and after loading camper and it measures the same. I cannot say for sure but seems as tho this is a full air suspension rear end.
2021 Host Cascade
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4X4 Crew Cab Diesel
2013 Phoenix 721 Bass Boat

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
towpro wrote:

Neither did you.
It doesn't exist.
The pictured is mixed suspension aka hybrid.
Probably called air suspension to fool uneducated buyers.

Well it does exist, just slightly different way of locating the axle. While you believe that to be a true air suspension it requires a four link with trak bar to locate the rear axle.
Ram uses a single leaf spring to locate the axle. The weight on the rear axle is still carried on the bags.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:

Neither did you.
It doesn't exist.
The pictured is mixed suspension aka hybrid.
Probably called air suspension to fool uneducated buyers.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
towpro wrote:
lots of replies on here have never seen the ram air suspension.

its doing what its supposed to do. I have never owned one personally. I have heard some don't like it because the air bags allow the transfer of air from one bag to the other which can allow more sway.
I know Hellwig Products released a sway bar for the factory air suspension. (and I have had to add a sway bar to every Ram 3500 dually I have owned for pickup camper usage)
I think you also have an alternative ride height selection that will lower the truck 1" which might bring that lower spring into play loaded.

Have you seen one and understand it? Im almost certain the bags aren't plumbed together, that would be a horrible condition. Each side wouldn't be able to level up separately if that was the case.

Bigger sway bar always helps with a TC.

And OP isn't in the question answering mood, as he's responded to this thread since I asked the same question. Also surmising he isn't in alt load ht and hasn't actually driven the truck with the camper on.
But again, ICBW, as some just aren't good communicators even when asking for assistance.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhagfo wrote:

Based on the picture below, the "Overloads" you refer to are most likely in improvement to limit axle wrap on hard celebration.

Would that be the hard celebration one does after buying the best truck made? A RAM!

BTW, that pic is not current and not representative of the OP's truck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
billsnp5 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
To the OP, your signature states 2017 Ram 3500 DRW. Did you just purchase a new 2021 to replace it, or did you just buy the 2017 and were told it had factory air?

I just change my signature, it is a 2020.

Well after a bit of looking I finally found a picture of the 2018 rear air, I have pictures of it when it first came out, but only single spring.

Based on the picture below, the "Overloads" you refer to are most likely in improvement to limit axle wrap on hard acceleration.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
lots of replies on here have never seen the ram air suspension.

its doing what its supposed to do. I have never owned one personally. I have heard some don't like it because the air bags allow the transfer of air from one bag to the other which can allow more sway.
I know Hellwig Products released a sway bar for the factory air suspension. (and I have had to add a sway bar to every Ram 3500 dually I have owned for pickup camper usage)
I think you also have an alternative ride height selection that will lower the truck 1" which might bring that lower spring into play loaded.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.