cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HITCH HEIGHTH ?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I am installing my old class 3 adjustable heighth hitch on my new to me Ford Explorer with factory receiver. On the lowest setting my ball is still 2-3 inch's taller than my trailer hitch is when trailer is level. This is unhooked. Do you think my Explorer with factory tow package will sink down a few inch's and work? I do use load leveling bars. Option B is to purchase a different hitch that will lower the ball another two inch's. What say you? I know for sure you guys know more than I do. Thanks in advance.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
13 REPLIES 13

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Hook it up and check it. You have a WDH and that doesn't have it's own receiver?

OP has a receiver on the vehicle, he is asking about the shank of the hitch. Most WD hitches have a head that bolts to the vertical holes of the shank with two 3/4 bolts, which allow you to adjust the height of the head. There is no way to know until the OP hangs the trailer on the ball and sees what happens. If necessary the head can be moved up or down the shank, or the shank can be rotated so the offset of the vertical part is reversed. New shanks can be purchased with more drop or rise, but probably not necessary.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
wITH MY RIG ON LEVEL GROUND MY tv SITS TWO INCH'S HIGH FROM BEING LEVEL. sO i AM BUYING A DROP UNIT. hOPE THIS MAKES ALL WELL.

tHAt tYpING iS hOrREndOuS, SoRrY

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
wITH MY RIG ON LEVEL GROUND MY tv SITS TWO INCH'S HIGH FROM BEING LEVEL. sO i AM BUYING A DROP UNIT. hOPE THIS MAKES ALL WELL.
Oasis Bob
2018 Ford Explorer

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
My hitch setup also starts with setting the hitch ball 1โ€ higher than the trailer coupler.
If you need to adjust height outside the current WDH, you can get a replacement longer drop/rise drawbar or shank, sometimes called a stinger.

As recommended earlier, you need to test fit it on the new tow vehicle. I was lucky. Swapping from a 2008 Explorer to an F150 resulting in my TT going from level to 1/2โ€ high front, acceptable to me.

After flipping the TT axle, I had to literally flip the WDH on the shank. No problem except having to find/borrow the large wrenches & sockets, a 5โ€ rise.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Now lets see a pic of the new Explorer! Eco boost?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Some good observations. Seems I just need to hook up and see. Thursday looks dry . I will let ya all know. Thanks again
Oasis Bob
2018 Ford Explorer

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bob, get a B&W Tow N Stow and adjust accordingly.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
If your using a WDH you'll want to take 2 measurements of the front end of tow vehicle, ground to wheel well.
Take a measurement unloaded and another with trailer hooked up with tounge weight.
Set the hitch up to where the 2 measurements have been split. This indicates weight transfer.

That said, with my HD trucks, I've always started with my hitch ball 1" higher than trailer coupler when setting up WDH and always got weight transfer and a level trailer.

Not knowing your trailer or tow vehicles capacity, none of what I said may happen.

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it's going to squat some, but you won't know how much until you try it. An inch or two one way or the other is not the end of the world.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Congrats on the new rig Bob!
Sounds like itโ€™s close to working.
Couple things?
Is the Explorer auto level air ride? If it is, that doesnโ€™t help, but it may not be prohibitive.
Is your trailer tandem leaf springs? If so it will handle a little nose up better than torsion axles which will place more load on one axle or the other if not close to level.
Lastly, throw the trailer on, put some weight in the vehicle and camper to simulate how it will be loaded on the rear axle of the vehicle. See how it looks and drives restoring some weight to the front as needed.
If itโ€™s good, itโ€™s good. If not, then you may need to get a lower hitch.
Imo, Iโ€™d confirm that first. If no auto level I bet it will be very close or work.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t think any of us know your setup like you do...and the best way to find out is to hook it up and give it a try.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You want your Explorer to squat 2 or 3 inches so you donโ€™t need a new hitch?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hook it up and check it. You have a WDH and that doesn't have it's own receiver?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper