Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: HITCH HEIGHTH ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> HITCH HEIGHTH ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/21 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My hitch setup also starts with setting the hitch ball 1” higher than the trailer coupler.
If you need to adjust height outside the current WDH, you can get a replacement longer drop/rise drawbar or shank, sometimes called a stinger.

As recommended earlier, you need to test fit it on the new tow vehicle. I was lucky. Swapping from a 2008 Explorer to an F150 resulting in my TT going from level to 1/2” high front, acceptable to me.

After flipping the TT axle, I had to literally flip the WDH on the shank. No problem except having to find/borrow the large wrenches & sockets, a 5” rise.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wITH MY RIG ON LEVEL GROUND MY tv SITS TWO INCH'S HIGH FROM BEING LEVEL. sO i AM BUYING A DROP UNIT. hOPE THIS MAKES ALL WELL.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oasisbob wrote:

wITH MY RIG ON LEVEL GROUND MY tv SITS TWO INCH'S HIGH FROM BEING LEVEL. sO i AM BUYING A DROP UNIT. hOPE THIS MAKES ALL WELL.

tHAt tYpING iS hOrREndOuS, SoRrY

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Hook it up and check it. You have a WDH and that doesn't have it's own receiver?

OP has a receiver on the vehicle, he is asking about the shank of the hitch. Most WD hitches have a head that bolts to the vertical holes of the shank with two 3/4 bolts, which allow you to adjust the height of the head. There is no way to know until the OP hangs the trailer on the ball and sees what happens. If necessary the head can be moved up or down the shank, or the shank can be rotated so the offset of the vertical part is reversed. New shanks can be purchased with more drop or rise, but probably not necessary.

Charles

'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> HITCH HEIGHTH ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.