Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel trailer necessities

Ejraste
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

We purchased out first travel trailer and will begin to use it this summer. I am just gathering a list of everything that is needed. we will not be doing any boondocking, just full hookups at sites. Thanks for any help.
48 REPLIES 48

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
You always think of something.

Many people suggest keeping a notepad and pencil. That never worked for me. While puttering around outside the rig I'll think of something. The notepad is inside the rig. If I am busy I make a mental note to add my thought to the list when I get back inside, and usually forget to do so.
However... I always have my phone with me. I have a notepad and list making app on my phone. I whip it out and add the item right then.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with many of the items that people have listed, with a few exceptions.

-Unless you are staying hooked up for long periods of time, a sewer hose support slinky is, IMO, a waste of money and more trouble than it's worth. I bought one, used it exactly once, threw it away.
-In 35 years, I've never needed an extension cord for my RV, although I will admit that our friends did indeed need one last year. Once.
-A 50A/30A dogbone (as needed for your RV).
-Toilet chemicals of your choice, and remember to use some in your grey tank as well; it can smell worse than the black. If you want to try the "water only" or GEO method, more power to you, but I'm happy with my chemicals (I use Happy Campers).
-Two 10' sewer hoses at minimum (I have a 3rd that I use at home to reach my sewer cleanout, but typically only carry 2 with me), with a clear elbow (at both ends, preferably).
-Get a 50' water hose and cut it into a 15' and a 35'; add hose ends. You can use either the 15', or the 35', or the full 50' combined as needed without pulling out any more than needed. I've found that 15' is sufficient most of the time.
-Water pressure regulator.
-A camping mat helps to keep dirt/debris out of the RV.
-Wheel chocks and leveling blocks.
-Basic tool kit and multi-meter.

As others have said, keep things simple the first few times out; you will figure out what you need.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
DavidandDayle wrote:
I haven't seen a flashlight in any of the lists.
I like the ones that fit over your head and point where you're looking. Sometime in the trip you'll have to go outside and check a propane supply or the circuit breaker or ...

A cheap set of a lot of screwdriver bits. If you wear one out, you can replace it with something sturdier.

Doesn't your cell phone have a flashlight option?

But yeah a basic tool kit and multimeter...and definitely the square Robinson screwdriver bit.

After that, I would keep it simple the first few trips and see what you need.

Chemical tablets for the toilet are a waste of time. Just use lots of water and don't dump unless at least 2/3 full and it's not a problem.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
A handy item to have is a seatec or shark bite cap for the pex tubing. Being able to cap a line off easy is really handy when a faucet or toilet starts leaking.

Cheers.

I consider them a "Must Have!"

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
A handy item to have is a seatec or shark bite cap for the pex tubing. Being able to cap a line off easy is really handy when a faucet or toilet starts leaking.

Cheers.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
mabelgoodrich wrote:
I constantly spent my half an hour to read this webpage's content all the time along with a mug of coffee. ***Link Removed***

Spammer, look at profile
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

mabelgoodrich
Explorer
Explorer
I constantly spent my half an hour to read this webpage's content all the time along with a mug of coffee. ***Link Removed***

lizaaajamesss
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for sharing

rudyandrews
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing this information!
The best help for everyone is cheap term papers

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
MOST IMPORTANT THING TO BRING:

(The rest just doesnt matter as much if you have this)

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
SPRey wrote:
Expansion tank connected to the fresh water supply. You can flush the toilet, wash your hands and tidy up before the rat-a-tat-tat water pump turns on, especially in the middle of the night.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-2-gal-Thermal-Expansion-Tank-EF-TET-2T/304207414

Just changed mine on my oil fired boiler a month ago bc the interior seal leaked and the whole thing filled with water.

It seems like a great idea bc I hate the pump noise, but the practicality of installing and it working as suggested it is a bit confusing.

Just hook it up with a "T" fitting anywhere on the water line after the pump?

slider45
Nomad
Nomad
Veebyes wrote:
The most important necessity is a pad of paper & pencil to write down the necessity as you find out what you need. For the first few trips be sure to camp near a Lowes & a Walmart.

Pink flamingoes are not a necessity. This is a necessity. First setup & last taken down at the campsite.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Pink flamingoes and alike are good interactive things for kids as well.

beermanjoe
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased an extra 50 amp extension cord extra sewer hose and an extra fresh water hose. You may run into a few campgrounds that have the hookups a little to far away. Can`t wait for camping season to return.
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 CC 4.10 gears 2020 Shadow Cruiser 329QBS

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those stabilizers. Works better than 3/4" socket and ratchet setup or the oem hand cranking pole (that came with my trailer I bought new over 20 years ago).

Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed