cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Filling large propane tank on the road

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
A bit colder here in the south than I was expecting and using significant amount of propane. I have built in 24 gal tank and wanted to ask how everyone finds local sources for propane fill ups. Any experience with delivery, or too expensive to consider?

Upper 20's at night with highs in the 30's-40's in GA and Alabama for past few weeks and we just started full timing. Brrrrr.

Appreciate the help.
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee
36 REPLIES 36

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the input. I can't catch a break this winter. Now in Southern Texas by the border and it's going into the mid 20's for the next 2 days with 30 mph winds. I keep my fireplace/heater on all day and now just making sure pipes don't freeze. I am sure I will burn through most of my propane in the next few days.
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just to put some numbers to propane usage, January averaged 30.8 degrees here, I've been heating the trailer M-F 9-8 on average to 68F and 40F the rest of the time. I'm running the "1500W" electric fireplace 24x7. I've averaged just over 20 pounds per week of propane. I'm sure that letting the trailer cool during the colder night has helped with useage, but if you've got hookups I'd definitely run an electric heater to minimize propane usage based on my experience.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Ok, so whatcha do, is pull up to any gas station tht fills propane, propane place, most farm stores, UHauls, etc. Get out of your coach, go inside, tell the person in the store you need to fill a propane tank, pull up next to the propane tank, they fill it, you go in and pay.
Generally in that order.

Pretty much covers it!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
cross21114 wrote:
bucky wrote:
Most ACE hardware stores also sell propane.

In my area, I have found out that the cost of propane at Tractor Supply is half of Ace, which I had previously been using.

I took my RV down to our goose club so I would not have to eat and sleep in the clubhouse. I used a 20# bottle connected to an extended stay. This worked out well. Tractor Supply was close by which is how I learned of my mistake. Was shocked at the difference in price. Needless to say, I filled up the RV Saturday when I brought the RV home.

I refilled my 20# bottle about 4 times during the season and would be able to get about 3 nights in cold weather. If I were ataying full time, I would have 2 bottles.

Note: Tractor Supply has a corporate policy that they will not fill Blue Rhino bottles.
This is my experience also. TS, U-Haul and FJ all have web sites and will list there prices. TS is always cheaper where I live. I always call ahead for TS and U-Haul when I am traveling because not all have room for a large MH. FJ is the most convenient, get gas, water and propane at the same time.

MrMark52
Explorer
Explorer
And FWIW - the rate of propane usage is not linear due to the shape of the tank, assuming your tank is primarily round and is laying on its round side like most fixed tanks are mounted. Some portable tanks are filled standing up, but are installed laying on their round side.

The lack of linearity is due to the circumference of the tank. For example, the gauge will move slower the closer the liquid fill level is to the center of the tank. As the liquid level falls from โ€œfullโ€ to closer to centers, the gauge moves faster than it does going thru the center liquid fill level of the tank. And as the liquid level starts falling below the center of the tank, the rate of gauge change starts increasing again.

MrMark52
Explorer
Explorer
Land Yachters wrote:
OK, update. I did get the tank filled at CG yesterday on our way out. Figured 24 gal tank and gauge showed 41% and needed to get to 85%, so my limited math skills said I needed about 12 gal. +/- or so. In a hurry blocking exit to CG and guy filled it with 17 gal saying I must have been on empty....didn't look at gauge until I got to next stop, and sure enough, gauge shows 96% full. To get rid of some propane, I am using propane hot water heater, but don't think that will "bleed" off excess propane anytime soon.
Should I worry about 96% fill on tank?

.8 x 24 = 19.2 gallons.

If he put 17 in, you must have 2.2 gallons in the tank.

There is a valve in the tank that prevents filling above 80% (unless you have an ancient tank).

The monitor inside your coach 99% of the time is driven off the tank gauge. So if one is wrong, the other is likely wrong unless there is a calibration setup that allows the monitor to read full at 80% fill (which is a true reading of tank capacity).

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
MrMark52 wrote:
FWIW - Weโ€™re in Dallas, and the Tractor Supplyโ€™s around here will not fill permanent tanks in a motorhome. Iโ€™m not sure any of the, will - YMMV, but I would recommend calling first.

In my area, they will but not all the personnel are qualified to fill horizonal tanks (I think that is the requirement). Agree with the call first.

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
Most ACE hardware stores also sell propane.

In my area, I have found out that the cost of propane at Tractor Supply is half of Ace, which I had previously been using.

I took my RV down to our goose club so I would not have to eat and sleep in the clubhouse. I used a 20# bottle connected to an extended stay. This worked out well. Tractor Supply was close by which is how I learned of my mistake. Was shocked at the difference in price. Needless to say, I filled up the RV Saturday when I brought the RV home.

I refilled my 20# bottle about 4 times during the season and would be able to get about 3 nights in cold weather. If I were ataying full time, I would have 2 bottles.

Note: Tractor Supply has a corporate policy that they will not fill Blue Rhino bottles.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Land Yachters wrote:
No. Why would you worry?

MrMark52
Explorer
Explorer
Land Yachters wrote:
OK, update. I did get the tank filled at CG yesterday on our way out. Figured 24 gal tank and gauge showed 41% and needed to get to 85%, so my limited math skills said I needed about 12 gal. +/- or so. In a hurry blocking exit to CG and guy filled it with 17 gal saying I must have been on empty....didn't look at gauge until I got to next stop, and sure enough, gauge shows 96% full. To get rid of some propane, I am using propane hot water heater, but don't think that will "bleed" off excess propane anytime soon.

.8 x 24 = 19.2 gallons.

If he put 17 in, you must have 2.2 gallons in the tank.

There is a valve in the tank that prevents filling above 80% (unless you have an ancient tank).

The monitor inside your coach 99% of the time is driven off the tank gauge. So if one is wrong, the other is likely wrong unless there is a calibration setup that allows the monitor to read full at 80% fill (which is a true reading of tank capacity).

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
DrewE wrote:
I would be somewhat concerned.

The headspace is required due to thermal expansion (liquid propane has a pretty high coefficient of thermal expansion). If you're heading from warm weather to cold weather, it's less of a concern than if you're heading from cold to warmer weather, or sitting unused in a cold place that will get warmer over time.

Please also contact the campground and advise them that they overfilled your propane tank so that hopefully they can provide better guidance to the employee who did that and prevent problems in the future. If they're unconcerned, it may be worth notifying the state; this is potentially a serious safety issue. If the propane expands enough to use up all the headspace, the pressure relief valve on the tank will vent liquid propane, which is a fire hazard; and if the relief valve fails to operate for some reason, there's a very good chance that the tank could rupture, which is an even bigger hazard.

Most tank gauges are calibrated such that when the gauge reads โ€˜100%k or โ€˜fullโ€™ the liquid level in the tank is at the proper 80% of capacity level. Cars & trucks are the same, when your gauge reads โ€œfullโ€ there is still an empty head space above the gasoline or diesel.

Yours is likely working the same way.

Remote reading gauges are also notoriously inaccurate.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Land Yachters wrote:

Depends, how accurate is your gauge? On my RV when it's 80% capacity the gauge on the tank shows full and the gauge inside shows full (although it's just a guestimate bar display).
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I would be somewhat concerned.

The headspace is required due to thermal expansion (liquid propane has a pretty high coefficient of thermal expansion). If you're heading from warm weather to cold weather, it's less of a concern than if you're heading from cold to warmer weather, or sitting unused in a cold place that will get warmer over time.

Please also contact the campground and advise them that they overfilled your propane tank so that hopefully they can provide better guidance to the employee who did that and prevent problems in the future. If they're unconcerned, it may be worth notifying the state; this is potentially a serious safety issue. If the propane expands enough to use up all the headspace, the pressure relief valve on the tank will vent liquid propane, which is a fire hazard; and if the relief valve fails to operate for some reason, there's a very good chance that the tank could rupture, which is an even bigger hazard.

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee