cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2004 DAMON CHALLENGER 348 VORTEC OPINIONS?

waitingtogo
Explorer
Explorer
I Am driving to Houston to look at a 2004 Damon Challenger 348 vortec tonight. Any opinions good or bad. thanks
5 REPLIES 5

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
waitingtogo wrote:
I Am driving to Houston to look at a 2004 Damon Challenger 348 vortec tonight. Any opinions good or bad. thanks

Well...did you buy it?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Check see if this has true park if not run away. My brother had one looked like a air brake switch that was park problems of many.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

waitingtogo
Explorer
Explorer
thank you. i just found out it is a 2003. i will ask about the allison.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably the most important thing is to check for water leaks inside. If evidence exists, probably good to pass this one by unless you're 100% sure the problem was dealt with promptly and solved.

Make sure the floor plan is what you want.

If they have maintenance records, that's always a plus.

By "vortec" I'm assuming it's on the Workhorse W-22 (22,000 lb. GVWR) . If it's on the W-20 (20,700 lb. GVWR), that might be a bit light for a 34' motorhome. The Workhorse units came with an Allison transmission, which is a HUGE plus over the Ford offerings at the time. Workhorse chassis were not as common because they had an upcharge of between $3k-$5k over the Fords at the time. In my opinion, the Workhorse was a better chassis at the time, as evidenced by the rig in my signature! ๐Ÿ™‚

If it has slides & levelers, make sure they work as they are supposed to.

Most other things can be replaced or fixed. It's not new, it's 16 years old, so judge it accordingly.

Can't say much about Damon as a manufacturer. My uncle had one, a late 1990's model Class A, and he mostly spoke highly of the rig. The old Ford chassis left him wanting on hills and maneuverability, but the house part was pretty good.

Good Luck, let us know what you found.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Seventeen years old. Maintenance records complete? Tire ages?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad