cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cell Phone Blues..

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a Samsung Galaxy S-7 for several years now with no problems. Well that has ended.. yesterday I started receiving a popup every 10 minutes or so telling me the My S-7 is dangerously close to dying IF I don't download their app to fix it..IT IS SPAM AND I WOULD NEVER DOWNLOAD SUCH ****. But how do I stop this pop-up?
Anyone recommend a good app to scan and remove such garbage? Or am I stuck with it until I get a new phone someday?
13 REPLIES 13

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
PC Matic?

Works on my smartphones, pads and laptops.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Never download an app from anywhere except whatโ€™s in the Apple or Android phoneโ€™s store.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if it matters to you, but Samsung stops updates at 4 years and the final one was March 2020 from what I see. I suppose that means security updates as well. It might continue to work for quite some time, but I wouldn't do banking on it just in case. I use to have an S7, was a great phone.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Do a backup, then a factory reset.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
I had a virus that I had apparently downloaded with an app. The Verizon store and several antivirus apps were of no help. I decided to delete the apps I had downloaded starting with any that I did not recognize. The first deletes didn't help. The second attempt was to delete any that I didn't use very often. One of those was the offender. I didn't pay enough attention to know which one.

It is worth a try to avoid a factory reset.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Try downloading Malwarebytes or Bitdefender. Hopefully one of the other will nail it.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Try this.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
Before you do anything, if you haven't already, try clearing your browsing history, cookies, and cached items. I had something similar happen a while back and was able to resolve it that way.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Worst case, you could do a factory reset. Copy stuff you want save prior to doing this because it will delete everything. Text messages will probably be the most difficult to save.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a lot of good free antivirus and anti malware apps in the Play Store. If one of those doesn't fix it then try Norton Antivirus ($$).
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Scam I'm still using and original Droid Turbo 2 2015, wifes Samsung notes the same age with no issues.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Believe that is Ransomware. Your provider maybe able to remove it.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldnโ€™t download anything! Go to an office of your carrier. Expect to buy a new phone.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad