Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Opinion on Resort fees
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Opinion on Resort fees

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

what is the location? missing a vital fact here. is it in the Keys? next door to disney world? as said, if they can get that much a night, must be something good there.
bumpy

Bar Harbor KOA-over $100/night. Sites are cramped in most areas. BUT they can get it due to its proximity to Bar Harbor, awesome sunsets, activities, etc. We used to go there regularly. Expense is in the eye of the beholder.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/21 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The DW has her price point set at about $35. Anything above the grumbling starts. Anything above $45 produces screaming.

Pools don't tempt us at all. This is our idea of somewhere to swim.

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

mkc

TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Just a ploy to list a low competitive price on the travel websites to make you click to see the real cost.
Resort fee is nothing more than part of the cost to stay at the venue.

Possibly they may not pay fees to the booking website on the resort fee. Similar to charging excessive shipping on ebay to avoid seller ebay fees.

^ This ^

May also be that the state charges hotel and/or sales tax on just the rack rate, not the additional fees. But the primary reason would be to mask the true nightly fee.

2017 LTV Unity

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/21 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeH wrote:

What's your take on a RV park that charges over $100/night, has only a pool for an amenity (nothing else other than an empty clubhouse and
a couple corn hole games) , has no activities or entertainment and now wants to add a resort fee on top of the rate ?

it's brazen, but if they can get away with it, supply & demand.

We had one similar rebooking for next year where they had a premium site fee and added a site lock fee on top of peak season prices, this will push my fee well over $100 per night, clean campground, gorgeous views they will still get the business, including me.

years ago remember staying at one "resort" campground, had a beach, pond for amenities and that was it, not even a dump station LOL

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors.

Where we have camped

donkeydew

OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/21 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

why all the whine? you have wheels on your rig if you don't like it just "keep on trucking"

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guy Roan wrote:

I don't understand the "resort Fee" and never heard of it.
Our park here in the Keys charges over a hundred a night, (like all the others) but along with what you said we have a free boat ramp for renters and each spot is on a canal and each has a tiki hut dock. We also have two small sandy beaches.
The things that you said were closed are probably the same as ours -closed due to the Covid.

If you don't like the cost, you should use another place, but along the coast and the farther south you head you'll have trouble finding any thing less expensive

Guy

I only payed $88/night for my Keys stay this year, and that was the out the door price. I guess I did well =)

The only time I've payed over $100/night was staying directly across from Battery Park a few blocks from a PATH station so that was location, location, location.

Stayed at Bass Harbor campground, less crowded than Bar Harbor and under $50/night during peak season. Still got to do everything we wanted in Acadia including first sunrise =)

* This post was edited 01/20/21 09:38pm by afidel *

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've paid over $100 a night for a last minute trip to Florida in a beautiful campground very close to the Gulf that our site backed to a canal view. That was worth it, once, for the location and very well put together park.

I've also paid just over $100 a night for Liberty Harbor, just outside of DC. It was very overpriced for what it was... but for convenience to NYC it was worth it. I'll likely go back to that campground, even though its overpriced. Far cheaper than a hotel for a family of 5 with pets.

I'm sure that at some point we will go to Camp Wilderness and pay over $100 a night.

Other than that, I don't envision spending that much money for a campground. But if they can get people to pay those fees, why shouldn't they charge them? If enough people are willing to pay that kind of money, there must be some reason. They likely won't see MY money though.

We have enough places around us that we like to frequent that are less money. We have a lake that we go to a couple times a year. On holiday weekends we'll pay about $85 a night... but that is literally for a lake front site that puts our camper 30 feet from the water. Its pricey, but we love that lake and have several friends with boats that camp there with us.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I was talking about Liberty Harbor, I try not to call it out by name or it will be even more expensive next time we want to stay there =)
It's expensive but worth it due to the 20 minutes it takes to walk to the PATH station and ride into Manhattan.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeH wrote:

What's your take on a RV park that charges over $100/night, has only a pool for an amenity (nothing else other than an empty clubhouse and
a couple corn hole games) , has no activities or entertainment and now wants to add a resort fee on top of the rate ?

Based on your location, can I assume that the park in in the Keys??

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After paying $50 a night with one night free for a one week stay in Florida, never again. We were literally packed in like sardines. Because we had a small 18ft TT at the time, we were lodged into a small triangular space where the tip of our hitch was touching the edge of the road. The pool was dominated by a specific group of people after 3:30 who splashed us with water until the discovered we spoke French (true French).

That's why we boondock whenever possible.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Opinion on Resort fees
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.