cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bolts to Replace Retractable Steps

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, a weld has broken on my retractable steps and I need to replace. The steps appear to be attached to the MH frame with 4 large bolts. The heads of the bolts are underneath the 1st step tread of the MH. The nuts are on the bottom. I try to pry the step tread up to reveal the bolts but it is glued down. Has anyone had to do this? I am hoping that the bolts were welded in place so I don't have to access the heads. Any help would be appreciated.

We have a 2007 Winn Voyage 38J, 8.1L gas engine

Thanks
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
5 REPLIES 5

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
On a previous motorhome, I replaced the steps after spraying the bolts/nuts with PB Blaster and letting it sit overnight similar to what Doug described. Three of the nuts came off quite easily, but the last one was determined to exhaust my complete vocabulary of swear words. I finally got it apart by grinding off the last 3/8" of the threads and clamping the bolt with a pair of Vise-Grips while turning the nut.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Spray Liquid Wrench on the exposed bolts/nuts and let sit for 24 hours. The 4 nuts should then spin off easily without causing the Carriage bolts to spin in the wood below the rubber mat. Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
They are carraige bolts and yes I had to lift the step rubber to get at 'em NOt an easy job but I got er. done

The replacement used hex head bolts and BIG washers.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
TC&Z,

I can't give you the answers you seek for your particular rig. The one thing I CAN tell you is to make sure the fuse is pulled for the step motor circuit and disconnect the motor power wire(s). I have heard that the stair scissor mechanism can sever fingers caught in between the bars.

It's very tempting when working on the steps to unknowingly put your hand or arm in harm's way while attempting to get into a better position. Make sure the circuit is completely dead.

Be safe & good luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
They are probably Carriage bolts. Will need to pull up step covering. Square portion of carriage bolts are spinning in wood.
Another way is to cut a slot in end of bolt for screw driver to keep from spinning.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker