cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Connect small wires to auto battery post?

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
I'm replacing my RV/marine battery, that has a wingnut terminal for small wires, with one that doesn't. So I'm looking for something that will connect to a large battery post (along with the battery cable) and give me a way to connect small wires under a wing nut. I don't want to replace the end of my battery cables to do this.

Thanks,
Ralph
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram
15 REPLIES 15

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
time2rollโ€™s first suggestion is good. I call those a โ€œbus.โ€
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
If you really want to get creative, you can install a separate fuse block with enough spaces for each small circuit and then just run one wire to the battery to power the fuse block rather than all of the small wires. Of course the one wire will need to be large enough to handle the current draw of the combined small circuits and there should be a fuse capable of handling the load, but then each circuit is fused and you don't have a bunch of small wires attached to the battery cable. The advantage is that you can locate the fuse block anywhere that is convenient then. The disadvantage is more wiring and expense.

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks for the ideas! I will look at them and decide which works out best.
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
While you're doing this adapting/modification, if the small wires don't have a fuse or circuit breaker in close proximity to the battery, add in an in-line fuse holder and an appropriately sized fuse to help prevent the possibility of a fire starting should they short out. (One important exception: the circuit for the emergency trailer breakaway brake system is often not be fused...and of course never should be switched.)

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Any auto parts store will have an adapter that adds a wingnut connection. Should be like $5.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
Unless they are wires that you anticipate having to take off periodically, just terminate the small wires with the appropriate sized ring terminals. Take the nut off of the terminals and put the ring terminals on. Replace the nut and tighten. No need for a spacer. If you have several small wires, you could also replace the bolt with a slightly longer one and do the same thing.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
This should work:post connector

If your battery has screw in side posts they make one for that as well.
Like these: side post adapters

These should work, the OP does not want to replace the battery cable ends.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:

I could make one of those easy enough, a longer bolt, a brass spacer from Ace Hardware, and a nut. Interesting kludge.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a picture to show you, but before I added the auxiliary power connection panel to the coach battery, I went to the local auto store and they had these spade "Y" wire connector for top post batteries that the V part went under the thick battery cable and the other end had a screw terminal for lugs or wires. It's similar to what you are being shown above, but instead of a large battery cable clamp, it was a semi thick spade connector type with a second smaller post for attaching wires, spaded or ring connectors that didn't interfere with or required altering the original battery connector.

They also had a set that had two and three aux connections but at that stage, using a dedicated auxiliary power connection bar would have been better. If you have a side post, they had a similar set just for side post that had ring connectors instead of spade connectors.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Look up Cardid 2009 GMC Canyon battery terminals. That should work.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look in the under hood fuse/relay box for hot all the time spare terminal or fuse position.
Could connect to either terminal post one or two in fuse/relay box.
What amount of power do you need?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
These adapters will get the job done:

Schumacher BAF-MT2 Coated Marine Terminal End

That is for battery cable sized wires, not small wires.

So far as I know you can either get crimp on ring terminals or more commonly just loosen the battery cable and stick the bare end of the wire down between the cable clamp and the terminal and tighten the clamp down. The half a@@ method.

There is this: Keadic Battery Terminal

Tho I've never seen one.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper