Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: replacing Brake Pads
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> replacing Brake Pads

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

BobsYourUncle wrote:

14 1/2 years and 412,924K on the odometer and it's never been changed.
Kind of makes you wonder just how important it is to flush it.
Brake fluid with moisture contamination can work fine... until it doesn't.
Same for coolant hoses, belts, battery, fuel filter, etc.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

BobsYourUncle wrote:

Very important! Bobs a great guy, but I would not recommend not doing it if you are doing brakes. As long as the bleeders aren’t frozen it’s an extra 15 minute job.

I just flushed the fluid on my 12 Motor home. Has 40k on it.

An engine fails you stop moving, a trans fails you stop moving. Brakes fail you can’t stop moving fast enough!!!!!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"IF" it gets contaminated.

That's something that I have personally never experienced.

While working in the automotive field the only time I saw brake fluid that was contaminated was when someone added something to the master cylinder other than what was recommended by the manufacture.

I'm not saying don't flush it, I just don't see it as a problem if you don't.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

specta wrote:

BobsYourUncle wrote:

Very important! Bobs a great guy, but I would not recommend not doing it if you are doing brakes. As long as the bleeders aren’t frozen it’s an extra 15 minute job.

I just flushed the fluid on my 12 Motor home. Has 40k on it.

An engine fails you stop moving, a trans fails you stop moving. Brakes fail you can’t stop moving fast enough!!!!!

A great guy? Shucks, thanks! [emoticon]

But Dodge Guy is right on with this one.

I am at fault for not flushing my brake fluid. It IS important! I know I should have done it years ago, but somehow never got the job done.
Some of it has been changed though with a few brake jobs and I think at least one set of calipers.

Gotta wonder what the inside of the master cylinder looks like....[emoticon]

Yeah, I really need to get that done. Temperature swings here from minus 30s to plus 30s C.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

whjco

Lexington, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Dave H M wrote:

I just changed the front pads on the F250. Bellied right up to the Ford parts counter with a fat wallet.

Only complaint is that they did not provide a decal for that money. [emoticon]

A few years ago my daughter's husband had new brakes put on their Excursion, he told them he wanted the best pads they had - $450 for just the front pads. Two new Ford rotors plus labor on top of the $450.

They squealed like a pig all the time so they took it to an independent after several trips back to the dealer and had less expensive pads installed, squeal gone.

I had an Excursion and a 2000 Econoline E350. Both had issues with the inner lining of the flex hoses sluffing off and causing a restriction in the hose that kept the calipers from fully retracting. I'd recommend that they replace the flex hoses on that Excursion. Also, keep a close eye on flex section of the brake line that goes from the master cylinder to the antilock unit on the frame. I had to make a panic stop and the flex portion of the brake line blew out and I had a total loss of brakes. I had to cut quickly to miss the car that had stopped suddenly in front of me and then I ran through a red light. Thankfully the cross traffic saw that I was in trouble and waited for me to get through the intersection. I was pulling my 24' car trailer and was able to use the trailer brake to get stopped.

Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UUUUHHH whico, I said I bought the Motorcraft pads at ford and changed them mysef. They work like new and have no pig noises in them.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago I was told by the dealer the Motocraft are not exactly the same as the original pads. Had to special order the originals and they definitely lasted longer. Don't recall a big difference in braking power so must have been close on that regard.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whjco wrote:

I had an Excursion and a 2000 Econoline E350. Both had issues with the inner lining of the flex hoses sluffing off and causing a restriction in the hose that kept the calipers from fully retracting. I'd recommend that they replace the flex hoses on that Excursion. Also, keep a close eye on flex section of the brake line that goes from the master cylinder to the antilock unit on the frame. I had to make a panic stop and the flex portion of the brake line blew out and I had a total loss of brakes. I had to cut quickly to miss the car that had stopped suddenly in front of me and then I ran through a red light. Thankfully the cross traffic saw that I was in trouble and waited for me to get through the intersection. I was pulling my 24' car trailer and was able to use the trailer brake to get stopped.

Those $450 pads were extremely hard.

They never had a problem after they replaced them with a different pad made of different material.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/21 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

"IF" it gets contaminated.

That's something that I have personally never experienced.

While working in the automotive field the only time I saw brake fluid that was contaminated was when someone added something to the master cylinder other than what was recommended by the manufacture.

I'm not saying don't flush it, I just don't see it as a problem if you don't.
Pull the cover off the master cylinder reservoir, now compare that brake fluid to new fluid. The reason it's a different color and murky is due to contamination.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/21 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO keeping brake fluid relatively fresh has as much or more to do with maximizing brake system component life as it does stopping power.
Being somewhat lazy when it comes to that, I’ve never straight bled all the old fluid out which is the best method. But I use the replacement method. When fluid looks pretty dirty, I’ll replace the fluid in the master cyl. Several times over the course of weeks or months. The new mixes with the old after driving for a while, but is a bit cleaner. After several replacements it’s not perfect, but better. Same concept as drain and fill on a transmission vs fluid replacement method.
But If you have a couple hours to kill, bleeding it out is the best way.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> replacing Brake Pads
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.