cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hinged Maxxair vent covers will not swing open for cleaning

Triton007
Explorer
Explorer
The Maxxair vent covers on our 2007 Journey are frozen and I can't seem to get them loose so I can open the cover and clean/seal around the vents.
There are two on the unhinged side that secure with a small perhaps one inch carriage bole with a wingnut up top. The carriage bolt must not have the square head to hold it in place as when I turn the wingnut the bolt turns as well. I've sprayed them with a small shot of WD-40 and tried to put pressure on the bolt head with a wooden shim and flat heat screwdriver but it still turns. Bolt is not long enough, nor is there room to get a grip on it with a vise grip.

I'm looking for some advice on how I can get these open. Once open I can see replacement hardware kits available but I have to get there first......
5 REPLIES 5

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
What IS interesting---- Maxxair come with stainless steel carriage bolts AND Nuts---NOT wingnuts. So, someone replaced the original and this is what happens. Doug

This is true for all 3 of my other MaxxAir covers but the Fanmate 850 came with wing nuts so that it would be easier to open and fold over to clean under it,as did the replacement that they sent me,as pictured below

As you can see there is a piece of springy metal that will engage the hex sides of the wing nut to keep it in place when tightened.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
What IS interesting---- Maxxair come with stainless steel carriage bolts AND Nuts---NOT wingnuts. So, someone replaced the original and this is what happens. Doug

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Use Liquid Wrench spray. Let penetrate for 24 hours. WD40 will not do the job. Doug

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LIQUID-WRENCH-Penetranting-Oil-11-oz-Aerosol-Can/16816124?wmlspartner=wlp...

Tried that too,but when the wingnut is galled to the bolt and there is no way to hold the bolt from turning it will not break loose,believe me I tried it all. Went so far as cutting slot in top of bolt to hold with a screwdriver,still no luck...
Buying A Rental Class C

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Use Liquid Wrench spray. Let penetrate for 24 hours. WD40 will not do the job. Doug

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LIQUID-WRENCH-Penetranting-Oil-11-oz-Aerosol-Can/16816124?wmlspartner=wlp...

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the very same problem,tried everything that you did plus heat also trying to get to the screws that held the bracket to the vent edge.

I even called MaxxAir,they had no answer except to cut the wings off the cover. It seems that the wing nut was galled to the stud and the stud is press fit into the landing.

My final solution was to take my small air powered cut off tool and grinding it down so I could pop it loose. To Maxxairs credit after 2 calls trying to find a remedy they sent me replacements free. I then installed them after putting on a good coat of anti-seize.

This may one reason that the new hinged ones have a pull pin latch like the new Fan Mate.

I did change mine out to the new model so that would not happen again.
Buying A Rental Class C