cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel hitch suggestion

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just ordered a new F250 with the 5th wheel hitch prep option. It will have the 6 3/4 bed and my 5th wheel has the rounded corners on the front. Not sure if I need a slider hitch because on my 05 Ram short bed truck I have not used the slider option one time in 13 years! I think the bed in the new Ford is about 4 inches longer than my Ram. My question is what hitch is considered appropriate? If I don't get a slider model I am leaning toward the B&W Companion model 3300. Without the slider this particular model gives you the ability to slightly move the center of the hitch back about 2 inches. If I go with a slider I am considering the Curt A16 with the C16020 slide. Both hitches are close in price. I really don't want a slider but if I do get one this is the time to do it.

Anyone else realize a slider is a waste of money? I hate the noise and clunk of a slider. I assume both Curt and B&W are good products. My old hitch is a Draw Tite
29 REPLIES 29

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Just in case it could matter, the slider will add height to your hitch and if your truck is tall anyway, it could make the trailer ride nose high. Been there, done that
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice to hear from new recruits from years past.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL wrote:
ACZL wrote:
Hey Hey Hey...... B&W will make your day and the others, well they can get out of the way!

FWIW, the Prez of the B&W Fan Club made a convert out of me 4 years ago! One of the best investments I made for RVing/towing!

And to augment FTG's post about waiting for the B&W fan club hat and membership card, I'm still waiting as well. LOL

A bit of bad news guys. I called J Works, at home, while he was eating dinner, and demanded my hat, and T-shirt, years ago. He said so many hitches sold, they were unable to get enough caps from supplier, and up to 10 yr wait time. He did send his own hat and T-shirt to me, arrived in 2 days, with a note " please don't call me during dinner";)

Jerry

🙂 Now that's funny ! ! ! I was also converted way back when.. was just waiting for the Long Bed to go become a member !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
ACZL wrote:
Hey Hey Hey...... B&W will make your day and the others, well they can get out of the way!

FWIW, the Prez of the B&W Fan Club made a convert out of me 4 years ago! One of the best investments I made for RVing/towing!

And to augment FTG's post about waiting for the B&W fan club hat and membership card, I'm still waiting as well. LOL

A bit of bad news guys. I called J Works, at home, while he was eating dinner, and demanded my hat, and T-shirt, years ago. He said so many hitches sold, they were unable to get enough caps from supplier, and up to 10 yr wait time. He did send his own hat and T-shirt to me, arrived in 2 days, with a note " please don't call me during dinner";)

Jerry

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm a Pullrite fan. Love the J hook hitching bar.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Cummins12V98 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
^^

And don't hold your breath waiting for that membership card and hat :B !

Hey they gets shipped thru the inter-nets.

And if they have to et somewhere via Philadelphia USPS Hub, forget about it.... TONS of reports of missing stuff, stuff arriving 45 days late..

Buster Brown does the best for us here at the office
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
^^

Hey they gets shipped thru the inter-nets.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

^^

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Likes to tow wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
B&W 100% US Made

CURT Communist China Made

You decide.

Well this fact alone has changed my mind about which hitch to buy. Curt 5th wheel hitches are a China product. Some of their other products are USA but not the 5th wheel hitch!!

I will purchase the B&W Companion.

I found it very deceiving of CURT to talk about American Manufacturing but in reality as mentioned they have their 5er hitches produced in China. I have a letter from CURT stating so. I do have some other US Made CURT items and they are top quality. Buyer beware, look at the labels.

YES your President of the "B&W HeavyWeight FanBoy Club" thanks you and your membership is on it's way!!!

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
pyoung47 wrote:
1. I know this has been beat to death, but I’d suggest a F-350, since little difference in ride or cost.
2. Pullrite is still the standard of comparison. Also great customer service.

I'll second the above statements!

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
One unsung advantage to a slider. It moves the pivot point back a little, and that gets the swing going quicker. The only time I use mine is to get into the driveway, and it really does matter.

Likes to tow wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
B&W 100% US Made

You decide.

Well this fact alone has changed my mind about which hitch to buy. Curt 5th wheel hitches are a China product. Some of their other products are USA but not the 5th wheel hitch!!

And the Prez convinces another ! ! :B

You will not regret that decision by the way
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
B&W 100% US Made

You decide.