Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Suggestions for rest of Florida trip in Feb
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Suggestions for rest of Florida trip in Feb

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/21 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chiefneon wrote:

Howdy!

We like the Venice Beach area. My wife loves looking for sharks teeth a long the beaches.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

When I was a kid I found a 4 1/2 inch fossil Carcharodon tooth at Venice Beach. Lost it years ago somewhere.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/21 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charleston, SC---we went there for a week and put 450 mi on our Smart car. Stayed at a KOA in Lansdon or something like that 20mi out and right on the interstate

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/21 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would do Savannah then down to Jekyll Island, Jacksonville, St Augustine Key West back to Fort Myers.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/21 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Andersonville, GA.... National Cemetery... Prisoner of War.. very moving. Nice park, Fair Harbor in Perry, Exit 135 off I-75... Excellent restaurant Oil Lamp nearby.

Cedar Key, Steinhatchee (sp?) Campgrounds in Chiefland...Interesting places to visit.

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/dade-battlefield-historic-state-park

This is history and started the 2nd Seminole War. Unfortunately I see the museum is closed due to covid.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The area between St Augustine and Stuart has many nice areas to while away a week or so as you head south. The Ocala area is another great option. Someone mentioned Silver Spring State Park. I second that.
You could head over to Fort Clinch state park on Amelia Island as you start to head home.
There is a great GA state park in St Mary's GA, or hit Savannah. Lots to do there. Jekyll Island is along that area as well but tough to get into.
Charleston will keep you busy for a while, or Myrtle Beach.
Have a great trip.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might want to check out some of the springs... Salt Springs Rec Area is one of my favorites... they have FHU. Weeki Watchie is pretty cool,old school Florida. Cedar Key is a laid back town. Check out Low Key Hideaway at Cedar key---- they have about 6 FHU sites

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a great trip! We do a yearly trip down to the Gulf Coast every February from Maryland. We stop in Fayetteville, NC the first night, then head to Savannah, GA. Spend a couple or 3 nights in Savannah enjoying the beautiful city and now have friends that live nearby. Then we continue down to our beautiful undisclosed location in Florida, but near Tampa. My in-laws spend 2 months in the same campground and my parents rent a house on the island a couple miles away. The kids get to enjoy 2 weeks with their grandparents at the beach, riding bikes, camping, etc.

Coming home we are stopping in St Augustine for 1 or 2 days this year (do that every 4 years or so), then we head up to Charleston, SC for a couple days. The last night we drive up to RV Crossroads at the NC/VA line or a little further into Emporia, VA. Our last day is a 2-3 hour drive home.

Lots of beautiful older cities with rich history, and the longest day is about a 6 hour drive, depending upon traffic and stops. We have an 8 year old, 6 year old and 2 year old and 3 older dogs, so we stop rather frequently for potty breaks or to stretch legs. We find that these are about as long a distance as we can comfortably go right now and it breaks it up to some great stops along the way.

I can also recommend Jekyll Island in Georgia as a beautiful place to stop. There is a nice campground in Brunswick, Coastal Georgia Campground, with easy access to Jekyll Island and St Simons.

Haven't been up to Pensacola yet, but I've heard its very nice up there. Just be advised that the further north you go in February, the cooler it will be (air and water temps). Its usually in the mid to upper 70s in Tampa area, but if the sun is out it feels even warmer. Further up the coast will be cooler.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ndrorder

Southwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fort on Amelia Island is worth an overnight stay.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are in no hurry check out Tamiami Trail, Route 41, at the south end of Florida. Halfway across is some kind of an alligator sanctuary where you get your fill of them; rather up close but safe.
Here is one website that has the things to see/do on Route 41: https://withnorwegianeyes.com/17-attractions-along-tamiami-trail/

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Suggestions for rest of Florida trip in Feb
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.