cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with hitch rails - 2004 Sierra

Kach
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2004 Sierra Duramax for our new to us 5er coming next week hopefully. I’ve pulled out my hair trying to figure out the best kit etc. for mounting the rails. Looks a bit more complicated than our previous ram’s kit although I didn’t install or use that setup (came on the truck).

I have the Reese universal rail install kit and also just ordered the #50064 brackets but they’re a ways out from getting here. Should I proceed with the universal kit or wait for the custom?

To make matters more complicated, this truck previously had a 5th wheel hitch installed but none of the custom or universal brackets I’ve seen match the angled shape of the front bracket. I don’t want too many holes in the frame - how many is too many?
4 REPLIES 4

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I bought model specific brackets for my 04 Ram. There was zero fudge factor where these brackets were going to go and the holes in the bed had to be right on. I hope the previous rail holes will match your new brackets or you will end up with additional holes in the bed of the truck. Some on this forum claim to mount their rails forward to put some weight on the front axle.

On my brackets, Curt described it as a 1 hour job. Took me six hours and I have a really good set of tools. Time would have been cut in half if I had a helper or a lift or better instructions. Pleased with the install and performance once done.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I agree with above, wait for the custom fit brackets. They will be an easier install, and may be more solid, than universal fit.

Jerry

+3 on the matched brackets. Easiest way to install.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I agree with above, wait for the custom fit brackets. They will be an easier install, and may be more solid, than universal fit.

Jerry

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, If you've already ordered a "direct fit" rail kit, then stick with it as they have the holes already in same places as holes in frame of truck. Plus, why bother going thru the aggravation of installing the rails twice?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"