cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Add a front cabover window - has anyone done it?

art-yow
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to purchase a new class C to replace the older 28 ft Four Winds 5000 that I currently have. Ideally it would be something similar: 28ft long with no slide outs and a front cabover window.

Unfortunately most manufactures no longer offer the front cabover windows, other than on some of the rather expensive high end models.

I find that without the front window the interiors are dark and feel smaller. While I could find many articles on removing or closing the window, I have not seen anything on cutting the front open to add a window.

Has any one had added a front cabover window where a window did not originally exist?
10 REPLIES 10

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't have a horse in this race, as I have an entertainment center up there, but IF I had a bunk up there, I wouldn't add a window to the front, if I felt that I absolutely needed a window up there, I would add it to the side of the cabover.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
reminds me, my BIL who was quite handy in the fix it area, had an Allegro class A, about 1999 with the "eyebrow" windows. He tried for years and couldn't get them to stop leaking.
bumpy

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Neither is mine, its a storage bin.:)
The OP is looking to use it for sleeping and while a window offers a view outward as well as additional daylight its also a leak source , a cold spot in colder temps and has to be covered while in lighted rest areas. But like we both think, I would not add one in a cabover that already didn't have one.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Cabovers are for sleeping. Sleeping occurs when your eyes are closed, therefore you really don't need a window. When you wake up, take the elevator down to the lower mezzanine and look out the windows that are already there.

Depends on the owner. Our cabover is never used for sleeping (we put our bikes up there when we're traveling in the rain). If we didn't already have a window, I wouldn't put a window in just for the lighting, opening that front cabover curtain really does brighten up the interior

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cabovers are for sleeping. Sleeping occurs when your eyes are closed, therefore you really don't need a window. When you wake up, take the elevator down to the lower mezzanine and look out the windows that are already there.

If you insist on moving forward with the idea and you don't know what you are doing, I would go to a reputable body shop with fiberglass experience. Windows need to weep away water which requires correct installation. Think about the alternative if you don't get the correct info here.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I go along with the comment regarding the structural integrity should you saw into your vehicle. Having dug deeper than most into the

structure of my unit there isn't much behind the panels or cabinets to work with. A skylight may be your best option.

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that you would regret the time and money to do this because all the water leaks in all my previous motorhomes came from that window.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
a horrible idea

bumpy

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that if a new rig comes without a window there, it may be that the structural support for it is not designed in. So if you take a jigsaw and cut the right size hole, the two sides may be too flimsy to accept the clamping effect of the screws. They got rid of the front window for good reason; between that, the overhead lights, and the seam joint on top, you have 3 ways to leak. What it would do to the value of a new rig might be scary.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boy you are going to be beat up on this one! :B

My suggestion would to replace the roof vent over the cabover, if it has one, with a Skylight this will let the light in and can be covered if necessary. Some newer Class Cs have them.

I would think it would be easier to seal up than a front facing window that is subjected to strong wind and rain while driving.

There is a saying that you will hear pretty soon and often here,"windows in the front either have leaked, are leaking, or will leak." seems to be the only help some members can come up with which is no help at all.

Good Luck!
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C