Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Newer 5ers, Slider Hitch Required For Short Beds?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Newer 5ers, Slider Hitch Required For Short Beds?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I keep reading that the newer 5ers have a redesigned nose with curved sides so that you don't need a slider hitch on a short bed truck. My Ram has the 6.5 bed so I was wondering if I need a slider with certain models or if the newer ones eliminate the need for the slider hitch.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on your truck and trailer. I had a short bed and did fine with my 5th wheel but had to be very careful when turning. I never had a problem but also didn’t turn a few times because I knew I’d have a problem.

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just did research on this as we just purchased a second F350 with a shortbed (still have the DRW in my signature too). As my signature states, our rig is a 2020 Montana High Country, with a curved front. It would be nice to use this new truck for trips to places like South Dakota where we want to go park "in town" to do stuff and don't want to deal with the dually's size.

We determined that we could get by without a slider hitch in certain circumstances, but the last time we were in SD, the park we stayed at put us in a spot that was plenty long, but still required us to jacknife the truck to get the camper in (road narrowed and turned right there, with a post in the way). We would not have been able to park in a spot like that with a short bed and no slider.

So I think it comes down to where you want to camp, and the type of camping you do. If you tend to stay in nicer "big rig" friendly campgrounds with easy pull through spots, you're fine. But if you tend to camp in places with tigher spots, might want to look into the slider.

* This post was edited 01/15/21 04:26pm by JAC1982 *

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been RVing with fifth wheels and short beds without sliders for 25 years with nary a problem.

And BTW, the rounded corners on fifth wheels is not a late developing concept, has been here a while.

I have never heard of 90 degree jacking a 5er and continuing on with the jack. That only takes place on the keyboard or down at spot whatever where the stories al start with one upon a time. [emoticon]

And if my day is coming it better hurry since I am pushing 80.

wvcampers

United States

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Answer is yes and no. I have towed different 5ver with a Dodge short bed and Ford short bed trucks without using a slider. I did damage the cab of the Dodge backing into my driveway. I did not slide the slider back because I had done it many times before without using the slider. This time when the truck went into the small dip at the beginning of my driveway, the trailer hit the cab of the truck. I now tow with a short Bed Ford and B&W hitch that is not a slider and have never had a problem, but I sure do pay attention. The unlevel terrain will cause more trouble than the sharp turns.

2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

happycamper1942

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a short bed with a slider. In 10 years I have only had to use the slider about 5 times. Doesn't sound much, but when you need it you need it, so my view is that for the few extra bucks go for a slider.

2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2005 28 foot Gulfstream Innsbruck 5th wheel.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good friend busted his back window with his short bed, no slider, and older 5er with squared front corners. Traded that for a newer 5er with contoured front corners and no more problem. BUT. He was also more careful on tight back in turns.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info folks

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron...Lots of variables with this issue! One person's experience may be good, and the other not so much. You know about the shape of front, but the length of pin box can vary, and one hitch will work better than another, due to adjustability, even though not a slider.

The truck itself makes a difference, due to axle center to back of cab distance. GM will work best, longest distance, then Ford, and of course your Ram, has the shortest distance.

Cummins2014, a forum member here, uses an Andersen hitch in a similar truck, with no issue, and likes the hitch. I know there are other Ram owners, using this hitch, also with good results.

Jerry

bigorange

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/21 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that terrain seems to be the biggest contributor for me. I have a shortbed Ram and have always been pretty careful when backing. I now have a dent on one corner of the cab from a sharp turn backing into a spot on very uneven terrain while boondocking.

Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Newer 5ers, Slider Hitch Required For Short Beds?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.