cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CA Hwy 1

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is winter & time to think about places to go this year.

What is Hwy 1 like from Bodega Bay to Leggett? We have done Hwy 1 N to S before, Fort Bragg to Bodega Bay no issues dragging the trailer. We are just under 55'LOA & have done our share of CO passes, OR passes, TN & NC Appalachian backroads with it in tow. Mountains & small roads don't usually scare us.

The section of some concern is DeHaven to Leggett with trailer. Are there any official length restrictions along that section?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
11 REPLIES 11

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
For whatever this is worth, I have made that trip several times towing a small trailer. We did not cross over the line at all. But it is a twisty road, sometimes busy, and the driver will not get to do much sight-seeing.

Average speeds are substantially less than 30 mph, especially if there is local traffic making left turns. (Obviously, it is a narrow two lane road, and there are few if any left turn bays.). And some of those locals brake real fast before using the turn signal, so watch out. Don't ask how I know this.

If your destination is on Highway 1, such as the RV park at Westport or whatever, then of course you would take the coast. But if you want to get up the coast faster, take Highway 20 to the 101.

And if you want to stop and take pictures, you are much better off doing that when traveling southbound. There are pullouts with great ocean views. Not so much when heading northbound.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
My memory says the switchbacks are associated with a steep change in elevation. Your trailer could contact the trucks bed if taken too sharp.

We did that drive a few years ago in our car, and followed a large diesel pusher for a while. At EVERY one of those tight turns his outside front lower fascia hit the road surface as he applied brakes and turned.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe the real concern is the trailer crossing over into oncoming traffic or leading wide with the truck to keep tires on the pavement. Take it slow and all will be fine.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My memory says the switchbacks are associated with a steep change in elevation. Your trailer could contact the trucks bed if taken too sharp.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did some looking at some of the switchbacks on Google street view. Did not see anything worse than experienced on some of the access roads to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I was blind! That is the map that I was looking at.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry wrong maps ๐Ÿ˜‰

Says 30' KPRA. (King Pin to Rear Axle). That would be a very large fifth wheel to be excluded.

CA Truck maps

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Looks like OP has a fifth wheel trailer.
There was a king pin to axle limitation. Did a quick search and did not find it on Caltrans website.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Over 40' is prohibited. I think you get an extra 10' if you have a trailer.

CA Bus-Motorhome map. see 1 & 4

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Slow going near Leggett with several switchbacks. No restrictions for you.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Caltrans says not advised for trailers but not prohibited. See the YouTube video. I take Hwy. 20.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad