cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane regulator?

jimbo4UT
Explorer
Explorer
Do you use Lp Teflon tape on the fittings? Reason I ask is several YouTube videos show people putting in new regulators but no tape.
Which way is the best?

Thanks in advance

Jimbo
17 REPLIES 17

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I have come to despise the teflon thread tape, I use dope or other thread sealants. I usually use this on pipe threads for gas, oil and such.

https://markal.com/products/pipetite-stik

It is a crayon like stick and I have to soften it with heat from a lighter, heat gun or similar and then smear it on the threads.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reason I don't usually use tape is because most of it on the market is JUNK.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The INPUT and OUTPUT of the LP regulator requires Teflon tape or approved liquid sealant. They are standard pipe threads. Yellow Rectorseal(number 5) is what I use and have used for 41 years. Inverted Flare or standard brass flares NEVER use or need Sealant at all. POL fitting that goes into the LP tank (DOT or ASME) NEVER needs sealant. Remember, the INPUT of the LP regulator is about 150 PSI and the Output is 11 inches WC which is .4 psi. BIG difference. So, the leaks on the Output may not happen without tape or rectorseal. BUT will happen on the Input side. Doug

jimbo4UT
Explorer
Explorer
I got a lp sniffer and it works great, it found the leak for me today I am
Just afraid to over tighten the fitting. Funny but one side of regulator has tape and the side I found the leak on does not have tape. My tape is arriving Monday -tank valve is currently closed so no leaking lp until I can get at it next weekend.

Jimbo

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Flare fittings do not use any selant. Compression fittings I do not know, but I would not trust for flammables. vibration too tight or loose on what tube is critical.
Pipe to pipe Yellow teflon tape or Harvey 55 goop. A spray bottle with a 10/90% dish soap to water is a great leak detector for just about anything.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yellow RectorSeal
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flare fittings are threaded, they have a conical section at the end and that is what they seal on.

Photos of flare fittings
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

jimbo4UT
Explorer
Explorer
I have a picture of where itโ€™s leaking but donโ€™t know how to post that inside here

Jimbo

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use tape or dope on pipe threads only.

Flare fittings must not use tape. Most pigtail to regulator connections are reverse flare so no tape on these.

jimbo4UT
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s threaded

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, and if tightening a flare fitting use 2 wrentches to get it to seat.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the fitting. Flare fittings get nothing, they flare out and self seat. Adding tape or goop can cause them not to seat properly and leak. Other conections need tape or goop. Goop os probably better, aka pipe dope. None of the people that install gas pipes in my area use tape. That includes the gas companies.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

jimbo4UT
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly I do have a slight leak at the fitting on the left facing side of regulator. Was afraid to really crank the fitting so Iโ€™m more inclined to use tape and not brute force to close the leak.

Jimbo