cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removable 5th wheel hitch?

Sande
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 3500 RAM drw shortbed which we currently use with our artic fox 811 camper.
We are thinking about getting a 5th wheel and also keeping the camper for some trips.
Is there a sliding 5th wheel hitch that can easily be taken off the truck in order to slide in the camper?
46 REPLIES 46

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crabbypatty wrote:
JRScooby Do you think that little crane could be a issue when loading TC?

Not at all it tucks in behind the wheel well. The bed is completely clear.

Sorry. I thought most TCs where narrow from back of wheelwells forward, then as wide as the tailgate from there back. I assumed wasted space would more likely to be in front of WW. Crane there would be limited reaching past tailgate.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
JRScooby Do you think that little crane could be a issue when loading TC?

Not at all it tucks in behind the wheel well. The bed is completely clear.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Ranger431
Explorer
Explorer
The EAZ I have separates into 2 sections. The top one is easy, the bottom is me is about 60-65 pounds I would guess, but kind of awkward in size / shape. I use a 2 person lift for it. Iโ€™d like to be able to do it myself. The garage is a pain in the butt because itโ€™s a tight fit. Iโ€™ve been toying with the idea of buying an engine lift from Northern Tool for about $200-250. All I need to do is get it into the bed, once itโ€™s up, moving it around isnโ€™t hard.
2020 Jayco Eagle 355 MBQS

2011 Ford F-350

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
A neighbor of mine is crippled (lower legs). He makes slabs from logs to sell.
He has a removable crane that sits down in a bed socket to move his equipment/slabs in and out of his pickup. His first one was a boat winch type but later he found a used electric winch with steel cable on ebay.

There are lots of ways the OP can use his truck camper and tow a GN or 5th wheel trailer.
I preferred to shim my TC to clear the bed rails.
And had a come-a-long hanging in the trailer shed to remove the 5th wheel hitch or the GN bed plate.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crabbypatty wrote:
I have a Pullrite automatic slider 2600. All you need to do is pull the pins and its back to a pick bed again. Easy. We are a F250 CC Short Bed. Great hitch. If I ever find an inexpensive TC for a short bed I might get one. we will name it "Quickie" for fast trips and fishing.

The Pullrite is heavy, which is good but takes some moving to get it out. Either a winch in the garage or tree or what we have is a small bed crane from Harbor Freight. Cost $99. Tucks in behind the wheel on the side. Swing it around attach pump it up swing it over and let it down on saw horse. Good to go. Do the same thing for bring the 3000i into the bed.

Do you think that little crane could be a issue when loading TC?

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Pullrite automatic slider 2600. All you need to do is pull the pins and its back to a pick bed again. Easy. We are a F250 CC Short Bed. Great hitch. If I ever find an inexpensive TC for a short bed I might get one. we will name it "Quickie" for fast trips and fishing.

The Pullrite is heavy, which is good but takes some moving to get it out. Either a winch in the garage or tree or what we have is a small bed crane from Harbor Freight. Cost $99. Tucks in behind the wheel on the side. Swing it around attach pump it up swing it over and let it down on saw horse. Good to go. Do the same thing for bring the 3000i into the bed.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
I used to run the Pullrite Superglide, which would leave my bed completely empty when removed...

That is, until I got a hernia removing it 1 year...

It does come in out pieces, but my its heavy at 275#.. I do not suggest at 70 you try to mess with that, UNLESS you keep it hitched to the trailer and remove the pins from the bed and raise it with the trailer..

We must not be the manly men some seem to be :B Then there is smart , and then there is , well you know . Iโ€™m done lifting hitches , as suggested I will just get one of my grandsons to do it ๐Ÿ™‚

I'd like to think at 56 I still fall into that category ... but my body argues with me on a daily basis

My body at 73 has already told my mind to knock it off :B

cummins2014 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
I used to run the Pullrite Superglide, which would leave my bed completely empty when removed...

It does come in out pieces, but my its heavy at 275#.. I do not suggest at 70 you try to mess with that, UNLESS you keep it hitched to the trailer and remove the pins from the bed and raise it with the trailer..

We must not be the manly men some seem to be :B Then there is smart , and then there is , well you know . Iโ€™m done lifting hitches , as suggested I will just get one of my grandsons to do it ๐Ÿ™‚

I'd like to think at 56 I still fall into that category ... but my body argues with me on a daily basis
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:

And yet even after a hernia you have a Manly Man hitch.

my newly acquired "manly man" hitch is half the weight of that Pullrire ... This I can do as 1 piece... no more moving the 275# as 1.. and no grandchildren, yet,,, just 2 daughters
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Hensley's TrailerSaver BD3 removes easily and you can purchase a sliding base for it. We had the sliding base, but never used it.

What does the whole assembly weigh?

It comes apart for removal so the weight is manageable.

They all come apart , and are manageable. I know that , did it for about 9 years away from home when I needed the hitch out of the truck . Finally solved that problem with the Andersen, and have never looked back .

Good for you.

Thanks . I know .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:

And yet even after a hernia you have a Manly Man hitch.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ReneeG wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Hensley's TrailerSaver BD3 removes easily and you can purchase a sliding base for it. We had the sliding base, but never used it.

What does the whole assembly weigh?

It comes apart for removal so the weight is manageable.

Understood. Didnโ€™t quite give a weight. Us Manly Men can handle it no doubt but there are some among us want to lift the hitch with one hand or have their grandchild do the removal.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7