cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Group 27 deep cycle battery + 2000W inverter

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
How long can a group 27 deep cycle battery and 2000W inverter power a full-size refrigerator? Assume that the batter is fully charged. Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
You generally don't need more than a 1000 watt inverter to power a fridge. But if you are going to press an inverter close to 2000 watts for an extended period... 400 amp hours is barely making it. Certainly a fridge does not even come close to that with just a short surge and a couple hundred watts running.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gdetrailer wrote:

A lot of "assumptions" being made..

2Kw inverter doesn't "need" 400Ahr of "battery support" (what ever THAT means).. If you mean 400Ahr capacity, you would be dead wrong because the OP did not specify just how long are they needing to run the fridge from inverter..

Well yes. poor choice of words

Xantrex recommends two pair GC-2 for a 2000 watt inverter is what I should have said. Yes it will work on less. but Xantrex recommendation for the Prosione 2.0 was 2 pair GC-2 or 420 Amp Hour. of storage
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Not enough information to hazard a guess.

That being said, I have run a ten year old (not very efficient compared to new ones), 14 cubic foot (smallish โ€œfull sizeโ€), refrigerator for several days in 75-85 degree ambient temperatures and measured electricity consumption to be 2.0 kilowatt hours per day. Newer, more efficient refrigerators, larger/smaller ones, warmer/cooler environments, all make a difference. Oh, add 10% to cover the inverter.

Thatโ€™s my beer fridge down in my man cave. 2.2 kWh translates to 183.33 Amp-hours, requiring 4.3 (that is, actually 5) of the common group 27 โ€œmarine deep cycleโ€ batteries most travel trailers come with. Your mileage will vary, depending on factors noted above.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
If you are lucky .... an hour Likely less

That inverter needs 400 amp hours of battery support
two pair of GC-2 is recommended.. That's 400 amp hours with 200 usable
your group 27 is 100 (bit less) with 20-25 usable.

The fridge.. Well you did not say but look at the watts and divide by 10. yes 10 that's how many amp hours it will suck off the battery. So if it sucks 200 watts then it needs 20 amps of battery power

Both Dometic. and Norcold at one time made RV-Fridges using a ultra-high effiency compressors. 35-40 watts.. at 12 volts that's a bit over 3 amps. Door closed (Seems strange to have to specify door closed but the interior light adds a major draw)

A lot of "assumptions" being made..

2Kw inverter doesn't "need" 400Ahr of "battery support" (what ever THAT means).. If you mean 400Ahr capacity, you would be dead wrong because the OP did not specify just how long are they needing to run the fridge from inverter..

As I mentioned in my other post above, inverter will draw an average of 1Ahr-2Ahr per hr the inverter is turned on. 24 hrs of that and that is 24Ar-48hrs of battery not including fridge or anything else.. That certainly is not anywhere near 400Ahrs of "support".

Many apartment sized residential fridges will use about 90W at 120V and typical run time will be 20 minutes-30 minutes per hr..

So, lets say the fridge runs 30 minutes per hr at 90W level..

That is 7.5A at 12V (90W) x 12 (run time of 30 on and 30 off for 24 hrs) = 90Ahr

Add in the inverter loss (total time on, plus time with fridge running) of 48Ahr.

And we get 138Ahr of battery capacity required for the inverter and fridge for a 24 hr period..

Far less than your "assumed" 400Ahr of "support"..

Even if you went went with a far bigger fridge the results most likely will never come close to the supposed 400Ahr "support" you claimed..

And for the record, I AM using just ONE PAIR of 6V GC2s with a home fridge conversion.. ONE PAIR of GC2 gives me plenty of capacity to run my fridge for 24hrs, plus run the 30K furnace plus a few hrs in the evening of using lights and STILL have plenty of battery capacity left over..

Since the OP did not say how long they NEED to run the fridge and how much current the fridge uses plus details on the inverter and how much no load power it uses absolutely no way to blanketly say that the OP needs so much capacity "support"..

My suggestion is the OP should try their current battery in their driveway without shore power to see how long it runs.. Then they can make a better decision on how long they wish it to run and how much battery they will need for THEIR use.

Much better than giving some hokey number you pulled out of a hat because YOU don't like Home fridges in a RV..

Not everything must say RV on it to be used in a RV..

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Running time on the one battery will be short as everyone noted. Another thing is with the inverter, you have the low voltage alarm and shut off, which could be triggered by the fridge when it cycles.

You need short fat wires from inverter to battery, and a decent size battery in AH (or one of the new ones that allow high amp draws and keep their voltages up) to handle the fridge's starting surge.

So you could have what seems like lots of battery left in the 27, but the inverter kicks out anyway.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Most residential refrigerators that I have measured use about 1.5 kWh per day. If you only drain the group 27 battery to 50% you'll have about .6 kWh to work with. So, my best estimate is that it will run it for about half a day before it needs recharging.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
As pointed out a group 27 is not much of a battery. A pair of group 31s, a pair of 6V GC or a single 4D will be needed to provide necessary AHs to run the fridge for a usable length of time.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are lucky .... an hour Likely less

That inverter needs 400 amp hours of battery support
two pair of GC-2 is recommended.. That's 400 amp hours with 200 usable
your group 27 is 100 (bit less) with 20-25 usable.

The fridge.. Well you did not say but look at the watts and divide by 10. yes 10 that's how many amp hours it will suck off the battery. So if it sucks 200 watts then it needs 20 amps of battery power

Both Dometic. and Norcold at one time made RV-Fridges using a ultra-high effiency compressors. 35-40 watts.. at 12 volts that's a bit over 3 amps. Door closed (Seems strange to have to specify door closed but the interior light adds a major draw)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bear in mind that if you draw the battery down below a 50 percent state of charge, you are damaging the battery. (I don't know how much it damages the battery, but that is what they say.) So although the battery might be adequate in the short run, it might not be worth the cost in terms of reduced battery life.

Group 31 batteries have a lot more capacity and are about the same size as a Group 27. Much heavier, though -- lifting them in and out of the battery box is great exercise!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
For a rough idea, look at the energy star guide for the fridge and see what it says the energy usage per day is. Many are somewhere around 1 kWh per day, very roughly speaking. (I think they give it per year, but it's easy enough to divide by 365 to get the usage per day.)

1 kWh is equivalent to about 83 Ah at 12V. To the fridge's usage, the conversion inefficiency of the inverter needs to be added. Overnight should generally be doable absent any other significant 12V loads, but probably not much more. Deeply discharging a lead-acid battery is pretty rough on it and doesn't lead to its having a long lifespan. Leaving it discharged is doubly harsh.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
No one will be able to give you a true answer, not enough information and too many variables.

Group27 battery is pretty light on capacity, that is an obvious fact.

Group 27 can supply enough energy to power your furnace overnight in cool temperatures, but it will be pretty deeply discharged by morning.

Your inverter unless it has a "power save feature" is going to eat up 1 Ahr-2Ahr of battery capacity per hr just doing nothing. That is 24Ahr-48Ahr per 24 hr period.

Home fridges vary widely with how much energy they will use, some pretty light like 90W (.75A at 120V) to upwards of 780W (6.5A at 120V) and may run perhaps 20-30 minutes per hr..

So, no one is going to be able to answer your question.

My suggestion is try a dry run in your driveway or backyard (where ever you park it) and see just how long you can run the fridge..

My bet is you will need more capacity than a group27 if you want it to run more than 12hrs..

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably for an overnight stop you will be fine. Assuming the fridge is already full of cold food. Even then if it shuts off you should be good for another 6 hours if you keep the doors closed. Also assumes no use of the furnace and minimum lights.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
As other will tell you a Group 27 battery is not a "true" deep discharge battery. The only true deep discharge lead acid batteries are 6V golf cart batteries, size GC2. (One marine/RC Group 27 battery has about 80 amp-hours of power @ 12V; 2 golf cart batteries have about 215 amp-hours of power @ 12V.)

There are too many variables to answer your question. Size of the refrigerator and the amount of power it draws is the first one. Ambient temperature is number two.

Assuming that the refrigerator starts fully cooled with fully cooled contents and YOU DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR, maybe 12 hours.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A group 27 with how many amp hours fully charged? A 12 volt or120 volt fridge? A full size fridge that uses how many amps when running? If a 120 volt fridge, how efficient is the inverter?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad