cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drill Holster (tip)

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I still have to manually put down my stabilizers... Years ago I got the drill adapter but when we stopped, It was always a few minutes to get to the drill to lower the stabilizers...

So, I got a "drill holster" and screwed it to the wall just inside the front storage area door up high. https://www.harborfreight.com/drill-holster-67165.html

It is a great solution. Just open the door, pull it out, a couple minutes and SHE can get inside... Now, it would be nice to just flip a switch...but that is on the list for the next RV...
31 REPLIES 31

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kavoom wrote:
"I've tried to help but, then I get yelled at for doing everything wrong. "

Hmmm, that's never happened to me...in the last couple of hours.

:B

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
"I've tried to help but, then I get yelled at for doing everything wrong. "

Hmmm, that's never happened to me...in the last couple of hours.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kavoom wrote:
MitchF150 wrote:
My wife is the one that puts down the jacks with the electric drill.. It just sits in the side storage compartment. She has a harder time figuring out which way to set the drill to put them down or up! ha, ha...

In the end, we both have our 'duties' to do in setting up camp. It takes maybe 20 minutes from the time we agree on the position of the rig to where we are sitting under the awning and enjoying our favorite adult beverage.. 🙂

Good luck! Mitch

Yeah, 20 minutes is about right...

First, Thank you original poster for the tip.

Second, if I am going by myslef I can be set up in less then 20 minutes. If the girlfriend is going along I can still be set up for myself in less the 20 minutes. She, on the other hand, takes forever to get things set up the way she likes them. I've tried to help but, then I get yelled at for doing everything wrong. I've tried to tell her that she doesn't have to do all that stuff but, then I get yelled at for trying to change her ways. So,,,I've just learned to stay out of her way and let her do her own thing.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Kavoom wrote:
Well, I still have to manually put down my stabilizers... Years ago I got the drill adapter but when we stopped, It was always a few minutes to get to the drill to lower the stabilizers...

So, I got a "drill holster" and screwed it to the wall just inside the front storage area door up high. https://www.harborfreight.com/drill-holster-67165.html

It is a great solution. Just open the door, pull it out, a couple minutes and SHE can get inside... Now, it would be nice to just flip a switch...but that is on the list for the next RV...

OK, got the "next" trailer WITH the electric lippert stabilizer jacks. I am mixed on them so far... One, they are slow, very slow... Another bell and whistle to break? The manual put down instructions sound like a good half hour excercise in cussing. Scissor jacks are simple and reliable... Drill in holster right inside the storage door, five minutes done. May just put some scissors on it. I got a high quality pair on the Amazon warehouse for like 35 bucks. So far, with the new ones, I have to push on the switch side to get them to go down so they work... What's the deal... In the driveway, concrete underneath...

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Ever see stab jacks down on an RV lot? I don't. All the slides are usually out too.
If we overnight and stayed hitched I just drop the rear stabs for a little stability inside.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
My wife is the one that puts down the jacks with the electric drill.. It just sits in the side storage compartment. She has a harder time figuring out which way to set the drill to put them down or up! ha, ha...

In the end, we both have our 'duties' to do in setting up camp. It takes maybe 20 minutes from the time we agree on the position of the rig to where we are sitting under the awning and enjoying our favorite adult beverage.. 🙂

Good luck! Mitch

Sort of a general response, but I have slept inside without unhitching a couple of times for an overnight. We did not put the jacks down.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I am with the group that has stopped a number of times without using the stabilizers. If we are just stopping for the night, we may not even unhitch. A lot depends on what we are doing and how long we are going to stay.

Having a handy place for the drill is a smart idea.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I just screwed a scrap piece of PVC pipe to the wall and stick my drill in that. Going by memory I think it was 2" pipe.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I like to put the jacks down first because one of the slides is really heavy and throws the thing out of level; enough to feel it when walking around. My wife’s job while all this going on is to wander around and find something she likes.

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
All my prior trailers required a crank or drill to operate the stabizer jacks. I prefer that as my current one has electric jacks and boy are they slooow!
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:

Good luck! Mitch

Yeah, 20 minutes is about right...

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
K_and_I wrote:

A built in place for the charger would be more useful as I don't have an outlet in the underbelly. When I get around to it, I'm going to fish an extension cord down there so I can leave the battery connected and charging.

Our water heater is in one side of the pass through storage. It had a single receptacle for the heater, but I replaced it with a duplex and use the other for a drill battery charger.

Good thought...I'll have to check the power supply for the electric water heater.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
spoon059 wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
wanderingbob wrote:
I always put the jacks down before I let my wife enter , but then you guys do not know how heavy my wife is !

I hope your health insurance is paid up if she reads this! :B

Ha, life insurance is more likely to be used here than health insurance!!!

I was going to post for him to tell her to let me know when the funeral will be. I will attend.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB