cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quality Decline since Covid

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
TT quality has declined quite a bit over the last year...

Well we have found a TT that checks all the boxes for both of us. It is only 27 feet four inches (My checked box). It has the private bedroom, and the full bunks, slide out and outdoor kitchen... https://www.dutchmen.com/product/aspen-trail

We have a smaller Aspen Trail we got three years ago and the quality was very good on the build. But...now...during Covid when they can't build them fast enough...apparently...quality is distinctly affected...and not in a good way...so we are going to wait. When you walk in and first thing you see is a toilet that is crooked in the bathroom...direct from the factory...and start looking around and seeing "little things" it makes you pause. We also looked at a few others, different brands and there is a difference between our three year old one and this years...crop. We are doing fine so far and don't NEED a new one so we will wait... I'm also thinking that once Covid is defeated, there are going to be a bunch of lightly used travel trailers on the market as people realize...Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time...
26 REPLIES 26

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Kavoom wrote:

Well we have found a TT that checks all the boxes for both of us. It is only 27 feet four inches (My checked box). It has the private bedroom, and the full bunks, slide out and outdoor kitchen... https://www.dutchmen.com/product/aspen-trail

We have a smaller Aspen Trail we got three years ago and the quality was very good on the build. But...now...during Covid when they can't build them fast enough...apparently...quality is distinctly affected...and not in a good way...so we are going to wait. When you walk in and first thing you see is a toilet that is crooked in the bathroom...direct from the factory...and start looking around and seeing "little things" it makes you pause. We also looked at a few others, different brands and there is a difference between our three year old one and this years...crop. We are doing fine so far and don't NEED a new one so we will wait... I'm also thinking that once Covid is defeated, there are going to be a bunch of lightly used travel trailers on the market as people realize...Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time...

Interesting information. The supply lines for all the parts and pieces for RV's have been choking up and actually slowing production lines reducing the numbers coming off of production lines. Of note recently, glue for laminates has been a problem. Then the "end caps" for some of them like the back and front is made of a different material than the sides. Apparently, the materials for that are also used in the blades for wind farms... So, apparently there has been a redesign and "fix" for some of those, like doing the back in a flat aluminum vs the whatever it is synthetic stuff they use. I watch this guy from HaylettRV in Michigan and between his videos on selling stuff, he talks about what is going on in the RV industry... Interesting

Planeteer
Explorer
Explorer
We just got a 2021 Gulf Stream 197BH about 2 weeks ago. Quality seems pretty good overall. I found a spot on the tub where I need to add caulk, and I had to vacuum some saw dust and metal shavings (not really a Quality issue IMO). Overall we are happy so far, but I suspect we will find a few more minor quality issues. I don't mind fixing them because I try to fix them better than new. Plus I have 2 small kids that will likely break a few things along the way...
2021 Gulf Stream 197BH

snowedin
Explorer
Explorer
Am not so sure all the doom and gloom over poor build quality is warranted. I may find out differently as the camping season progresses but so far have not found the build quality of my 2021 Rockwood 2104S TT to be bad at all. So far have found nothing to complain about. When it comes to new campers one expects them to be perfect but they usually aren't and that's why the recommendation to do the first camp out in the driveway or some nearby park is sound advice. Have watched the videos on YouTube of the factory workers building these campers and those guys are working hard, not slacking off. There are a lot of parts going into the build of these campers so it is understanding to me there might be some glitches.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Kavoom wrote:

Went ahead and got one at 3K below the one we were looking at AND a fantastic trade in almost paying the old one off. I don't have to seel on my own. I might have been able to do a bit better selling but with all the hastle also. Will do a thorough going over, Good dealership about 45 minutes from home... Interesting here locally, but the almost panic buying has let up a bit. Units are actually sitting on the lots for a couple of weeks instead of being sold as they entered the dealership... It is interesting to see this unit being listed as high as 42K in some places and as low as 23,500 where I got mine new. Most are in the 26K to 29/30K range... Mine is a west coast build and it appears that the Indiana builds are the ones going higher...in general. Not many "used" and they aren't that much less than mine most often with fewer "things" on them. the older ones didn't have the "fireplace" or auto lift/stabilizers and a few other minor things, slightly different storage...

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
Guy Roan wrote:
The quality was terrible on them long before the Covid problem.

Talk to anyone and that has bought in the last five or six years, and they will echo that.

I think you must be one of the lucky ones.

Guy

There are exceptions. We have a Cherokee 274vfk that we purchased new a little over 2 years ago and I'm still impressed with the quality of materials and the fit and finish of the build. The only weak part of the trailer was the cargo tray on the back, but with some modifications, it now carries everything we need. The trailer itself has only needed two small repairs. I did replace the Castle Rock tires with Goodyear Endurance based on the advice of others on this board.

We toured the factory in Topeka, IN where our trailer was built and it was a very impressive operation with many Amish craftsmen working in the factory. I also got to meet the Quality Control Supervisor who was very impressive and who demonstrated the numerous quality control inspections that their trailers are subject to. The only quality control issue that I've had with our trailer has been the sawdust that was left on the top of the bathroom ceiling that keeps filtering down through the ceiling light. However, I've only had to take the lens off and clean it a couple of time.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I is fine to do a pre-purchase inspection, but many of the issue happen over time. My TT is 10 years old. I have towed over 40,000 miles. A few of the problems encountered include,
+ The screws holding the bottom of the front wall to the floor rusted out and broke free. The front wall separated from the floor.
+ The screws holding the bed to the front wall were unsupported across a 1/2 inch gap as the front wall moved.
+ The pantry shelves collapsed because the wood framing split at the screw holes.
+ Numerous other loose screws and trim typical from heavy use.

My point is many of the thing are occur over time. You cannot see these issues when you buy, so it pays to be handy with tools.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Record sales here in Canada , as well.

Quality issues aside....the BIGGEST complaint now is there is no where to camp!

More trailers than campsites.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I am not holding my breath of quality any time soon. This is another near record year for sales. They make it; it sells.

The thinking is that once the travel industry gets back on its feet, people will be able to fly, cruse, motel and dine as before. Thus a lot of used TTs will hit the used market.

Perhaps this will happen. But I do not see how crimping new TT sales will do anything but force the TT makers to cut even more corners to meet the price of what will sell.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
The drop in quality is one of the reasons we sold our new trailer and replaced it with a 2005 model. It just felt cheap inside and honestly everytime we used it something needed fixing. Short of saying buying a new Genesis which was a little out of our price range as a cash only buyers we really wanted something older, heavier duty and built better when times were good.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago increased its sales by 39% in the third quarter of last year and building 39% more RVs means more new workers in the factory. None of the RV manufacturers have quality control systems in place and so more mistakes will make it to customers.

Drop in quality started in 2008 when half the RV manufacturers went out of business after the banksters looted the economy. The few that survived have very little competition and so very little incentive to care about what goes out the door.

Our first choice would have been a RV from Leisure Travel Vans in Canada but they have a 18 month or more backlog and so we bought a new Winnebago Navion in November and are in the process of fixing the RV's defects before taking it out on the road.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
I've always looked at RV'S as a kit, (some assembly required ). While the quality may be lacking the manufacturer's have done a decent job keeping them affordable for the masses. How many on the forum own a Provost conversion or Newell motor home? Or for that matter a 270G New Horizon.

Correct. But if you have choices among light use (but still some use) used ones, you can inspect them yourself... And decide...

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
What compounds the issue is the market is flooded with unsuspecting new owners that don't realize that with trailer ownership they assume some level of responsibility with very basic mechanical skills.

Our local RV dealership is overwhelmed with new trailers waiting on warranty work and I'm betting some may be as simple as hand tightening a trap.

The consumer plays a role here.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I've always looked at RV'S as a kit, (some assembly required ). While the quality may be lacking the manufacturer's have done a decent job keeping them affordable for the masses. How many on the forum own a Provost conversion or Newell motor home? Or for that matter a 270G New Horizon.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Kavoom wrote:

Interesting.
You first state that the Covid trailers have really poor quality, so you will not buy one..... Then state the there will be bargains later...... As these poor quality trailers hit the market.

IMO, a poor quality trailer is a bad deal at any price. YMMV
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW