cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

East Coast Road Trip????? Pandemic?

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I simply need to get the heck out of the house. We want to hook up the travel trailer and head south from Massachusetts. No real destination. North and South Carolina, Georgia and Northern Florida are on the list.
Any idea on the possibility of finding camping spots along the way. We don't want to be tied down to reservations.
What is the situation with rest stop overnights. Are Cracker Barrel and Walmart still allowing overnighting?
Anything else we should be concerned with?

Thanks in advance!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT
39 REPLIES 39

dedmiston
Nah. This thread pooped the sheets long ago. I don't blame the OP. For walking away. He's got a trip to plan while the rest of us just yell at each other.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Even with mods help, haven’t heard back from OP....
Never understood starting a conversation or asking a question then going silent.
In real life or in the webs.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like mod already cleaned some stuff up. I was coming back to delete my comments anyways. Moral of the story, I will obey whatever local laws and whatever requests private businesses make. I hope everyone stays safe and, if you want a vaccine, you're able to get it ASAP.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
I just traveled to FL from CT from Dec 26th to Jan 9th.

Had no issue, no one turned us away, no check points. We stayed in Pohick Bay, near Alexandria VA and Fort McAllister State Park, GA on the way down. FL was great, some of the places we went to had no one wearing masks, was so nice!

floid
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
So you want me to read something that I have to log in ?
I don't think so!
If you want me to read something, copy it and post it here.
We just had several people from NY pull in here today and they overnighted along the way

A little tip for reading articles from these "pay wall" sites. Open the article link in your browsers "private window" or "incognito mode". This mode does not store cookies or history. The site will "think" you are a first time visitor and allow you to read the article in almost all cases. I use this trick frequently.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, I would make reservations. The park we go to in Florida every February is packed. Lots of regular seasonal campers come from Canada, and they aren't allowed in the US this year. Those longtime campers at this park had to cancel their reservations. Those sites were snatched up almost immediately. RV sales were through the roof last year. Lots of families are teleworking and kids attending school remotely. Perfect opportunity to escape the dreary winter and head south for a new breed of snowbirds.

I do wonder how that's going to affect the "Regulars". This park has always been one that is very popular due to decent price and proximity to a great Florida Gulf island. The regulars are guaranteed their spot for the same time period the next year, so once you get a spot there you try not to lose it. Hopefully mgmt does the right thing and treats this year as an oddity and the regular campers don't lose out.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
A lot of states seem to be going to reservation only for their state park campgrounds. That doesn't mean you need a reservation far in advance--often the same day is okay--but walk-in first-come, first-served camping seems to be going away in many places.

With a reservation, at least, in many places there's no need to talk to anyone more than the gate guard or a quick check-in with the office. You just drive in and plonk yourself down in your reserved site and that's that.

We were startled a few weeks ago when we went to Jetty Park at Cape Canaveral (which also has a campground) - even though there was a gate attendant, we had to pay a day use fee using one of those QR Code things posted along the entry road. The attendant was just there to see the payment posted via my daughter's phone held up to the window. It makes sense, but clearly I need to upgrade my "Tech" skills....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Let's please shake hands and move along.

Only if there's a bottle of hand sanitizer handy! :B

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

dedmiston
MOD'S NOTE: I'm pretty sure that copying/pasting copyrighted material and hosting it someplace else to get around their pay-gate is pretty illegal. Let's please not do that here.

And as for the back and forth over the login, I don't think anyone meant any offense. Let's please shake hands and move along.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Guy Roan wrote:
Crowe wrote:
I don't think so!
We just had several people from NY pull in here today and they overnighted along the way

Guy

No need to be hostile. I didn't have to log in to read it and I don't have an account with the NYT. Article is too long to reprint. Suffice it to say if someone is planning out of state travel to make sure they can abide by the rules if there are any. Not a big deal.

I didn't mean to be hostile
I clicked on what you posted and in order to read it I was required to log on, and they wanted my e-mail address
Do you give your e-mail address to any one that asks for it ?

Guy

I was able to access the NYT link without needing to put in a email address or login.. Some places like NYT like to randomly hit you with a paywall upfront and sometimes they allow you to look at things..

I would copy and paste it to this thread but as said, it IS a long, long article that would take considerable amount of time and effort.

It IS possible if someone wanted to they could copy and paste the text (minus the pictures and other click bait stuff) into say a word doc, save as a PDF then upload to a sharable google drive location and then post a shareable link..

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Guy Roan wrote:
Crowe wrote:
I don't think so!

Guy

No need to be hostile. I didn't have to log in to read it and I don't have an account with the NYT. Article is too long to reprint. Suffice it to say if someone is planning out of state travel to make sure they can abide by the rules if there are any. Not a big deal.

I clicked on what you posted and in order to read it I was required to log on, and they wanted my e-mail address

Guy

If you clear your NYT cookies you should be able to read 3-4 articles before they lock you out again.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We overnighted at open RV parks in NY, PA, VA, and SC on our way to southern GA and FL last week. We only ran into one full park when we called ahead each day, and we had an easy alternative for that one.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
PA, NJ BOTH have travel bans "listed".. either a negative test, or self quarantine for 10 days .. I believe DE does not, and THINK MD does...

There is no way to enforce this

Go for it

This time of year none of those states interest me for camping.

Oh, but why not LOL???? It was 40 degrees yesterday-with 25-30 mph wind gusts and we went to the beach. The dog insisted.

Not even sure that much is open up this way.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer

They didn't ask for it, which is why I am surprised they asked you for it.

Douglas Adams