cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can't Print from MS Word, Excel etc.

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect the latest Windows 10 update, but for several days I have been unable to print from windows programs.
I am using an HP laptop printing to an HP 3830 printer. It will print jpegs and after some work I was able to get it print pdf files and print directly from Outlook.
I finally tried to do a system restore and it locked up - had to take it in to Best Buy to get it going again. The Geek Squad (and HP diagnostics) say everything is ok, but it still won't print from Word, etc. Print preview looks good but I just get a blank page.
What else can I try?
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/
10 REPLIES 10

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Windows update KB4598242 was released 1/12/2021..

Full details HERE

Part that pertains to the OPs issue of printing..

"Addresses a security bypass vulnerability that exists in the way the Printer Remote Procedure Call (RPC) binding handles authentication for the remote Winspool interface. For more information, see KB4599464."

OP may need to remove this update, reboot and see if it resolves the printing problem..

The catch is with this update, you may only have 10-30 days to remove it, after that you are stuck with the update..

Per link above..

"If you have already encountered this issue on your device, you can mitigate it within the uninstall window by going back to your previous version of Windows using the instructions here. The uninstall window might be 10 or 30 days depending on the configuration of your environment and the version youโ€™re updating to. You will then need to update to the later version of Windows 10 after the issue is resolved in your environment. Note Within the uninstall window, you can increase the number of days you have to go back to your previous version of Windows 10 by using the DISM command /Set-OSUninstallWindow. You must make this change before the default uninstall window has lapsed. For more information, see DISM operating system uninstall command-line options.

We are working on a resolution and will provide updated bundles and refreshed media in the coming weeks."

Op needs to check to see if this update installed..

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
magicbus wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

Subscription works in a three step process..

OP never mentioned using a subscription version of Office. As I said, my corporate version displays a subtle banner regarding license expiration. I get it every year because for some reason the VPN I use canโ€™t reach the license server.

Dave

While OP did not mention it, QCman did point out it could be a expired subscription and YOU quoted QC (which you snipped out just my quote)..

For that I am requiting what you quoted to refresh your memory..

magicbus wrote:
QCMan wrote:
Is your MS Office subscription expired?
This is what I was thinking too, but I would have hoped the Geek Squad would have picked up on this. When my work MS Office license expires I just get a skinny banner at the top of whichever application I am using, so maybe they missed it.

Dave

Since "subscription" was mentioned as a possibility it seemed that it would be good to point out that subscription expiring most likely is NOT the issue at hand.

And, you have also made my point that if you are subscribed to office you DO get notifications as to the status..

One would have to really ignore the warnings for it to fail considering you get 120 days of use with warnings of your access going away..

I am voting that the issue may have been a recently released "security update" to the HP printer drivers per HPs own website.. Wouldn't shock me that they may have borked the drivers..

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

OP never mentioned using a subscription version of Office. As I said, my corporate version displays a subtle banner regarding license expiration. I get it every year because for some reason the VPN I use canโ€™t reach the license server.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
magicbus wrote:
QCMan wrote:
This is what I was thinking too, but I would have hoped the Geek Squad would have picked up on this. When my work MS Office license expires I just get a skinny banner at the top of whichever application I am using, so maybe they missed it.

Dave

READ HERE

Step 1 is "expired" which lasts 30 days, EVERYTHING "Office" will work and is not disabled during this time..

Step 2 is "disabled" and that happens after the 30 days in step one and lasts 90 days after the step 1 has expired..

This step can REDUCE or limit "functionality" of some items but generally affects ability to EDIT AND SAVE files.. No mention of removing PRINTING capability that I can find..

Not to mention you had to go through the initial 30 days of "step 1" to get to this point which I suspect you would have gotten tons of "nags" about the subscription ending..

Step 3 DELETED.. All of your office data files on the cloud and access are blown away..

Also see HERE for more details..

All of which brings me to another point..

I dislike "subscription based" software and make it a point to BUY the software..

My Office 2000 still works fine and with the "compatibility pak" added to it, I am able to open, edit and save newer "docx" files..

Back to the subject, I suspect it is a combination of security and new HP drivers update that has cause the OPs issue..

HP over the last few yrs has been pretty terrible in the driver department.. I am dealing with a new HP all in one that is supposedly compatible with Win7, 8, 8.1 and 10.. Yeah, so far the ONE PC I need to work with is Win7 (has an application that cannot be moved to a new PC due to IT'S activation server being pulled) and the drivers and software installs and it says it is working but when you try to print it just says it is not able to print.. W10 PCs do seem to work but it did not go through the usual driver installation and found it via a web browser application..

I have been seeing a lot of disgruntled HP users posting more and more about their issues..

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
QCMan wrote:

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
When my HP printer refused to print via wifi I discovered thru trial and error to use Administrative Tools as an Administrator and then on the menu to select Services then restart the Printer Spooler and then restart the document in the printer que. This glitch only occurs when trying to print saved documents. Cheers for the New Year

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Are you connected to the printer via USB cable or wireless?

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lately I have been having a real hate issue with HP printers, troubleshooting and getting them to work is a real pain in the rear.. So much so, the NEXT printer I buy most likely will not be a HP.

Dis you try uninstalling and reinstalling everything including drivers for your printer?

Did you try searching for newer drivers?

Did you try the HP website?

HERE is a direct link to YOUR printer on HPs web site..

On that link I found the following..

"Important Print Security Update

HP was recently made aware of a vulnerability in certain InkJet and LaserJet printers by a third-party researcher. HP has updates available for download to address the vulnerability. Details and more information are available in the Security Bulletin."

Security bulletin can be found HERE

It could be as simple as adjusting a security setting or removing drivers and reinstalling them.. Could be a botched MS update.. Don't really know.

Didn't really see any complaints about printers with the last MS Win10 update..

I do recall there was a update a few OS generations back that knocked offline folks ability to print but you should have been well past that problem update..

It is the reason I manually manage my PCs updates by disabling the automatic forced updates.. I wait a while to see what folks are complaining about and if no complaints I then manually install the update.. if there is complaints, I wait until a fix is issued or even skip the problematic update until the next one..

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Make sure it is going to printer and not to One Drive

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker