Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is this doable or am I overlooking something??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Is this doable or am I overlooking something??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tis the way I do it.

I have a separate outlet inside the RV hoked to a plug on the outside.

Lets not pole vault over mouse droppings here. [emoticon]

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is really neat item. It is linked on first page of this bost
Never quite seen one set up quite like this. Simple to install.
Once upon a time a made up something similar because I did not realize this connection existed.
[image]

Available on Amazon

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley, what does that plug accomplish exactly? look like it is just a exterior mounted male plug that has a female extension cord on it

You could get a 240 plug pigtail that seperates into two phases, run your camper 120 volt on one phase, and the heater on another phase by using the extension cord you mentioned.

Or, as mentioned, just turn off heater when you run microwave.

NASA spent huge amounts of money inventing a ball point pen that will write in the zero-gravity of outer space. Russia just uses pencils. Don't over-think stuff.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gives you a weather tight seal for extra power input, with 120v pigtail inside the RV to plug in your space heater, hair dryer, portable A/C
you don't have to snake the extension cord thru window, slide out, storage bay, just drill hole mount in convenient place, floor over storage bay, wall under dining booth or ?? table, etc.

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

Lantley, what does that plug accomplish exactly? look like it is just a exterior mounted male plug that has a female extension cord on it

You could get a 240 plug pigtail that seperates into two phases, run your camper 120 volt on one phase, and the heater on another phase by using the extension cord you mentioned.

Or, as mentioned, just turn off heater when you run microwave.

NASA spent huge amounts of money inventing a ball point pen that will write in the zero-gravity of outer space. Russia just uses pencils. Don't over-think stuff.

Mr Wizard hit the nail on the head. It creates a connection directly to the exterior. No snaking/sneaking the cord into the interior from the pedestal. The connection keeps it all nice and neat.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/21 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum lee wrote:

If you pay for a 20, 30, or 50 amp unmetered space, (electricity is included in the daily/weekly rate) IMO, you can use all the plugs available at the pedestal in YOUR campsite. You can add additional extension cords, if needed. If the campground owner/manager complains, have them move you to (or charge you for) a larger service/space. (which will, most likely, be more expensive) Do not attempt to argue with with people who do not understand how electricity works. Simply move to another campground.

You have it backwards.

If you are paying a metered rate, as long as all the plugs go thru the meter and it doesn't start popping breakers, use what you want...you will pay for what you use.

For short term non-metered sites, they typically ask what your RV is (30 or 50 amp). Also, if you read the fine print on the rental agreement, it often mentions using additional outlets. So the owner would be very much within their rights to limit usage to a single outlet.

You might get away with it but that doesn't make it right.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Chum lee wrote:

If you pay for a 20, 30, or 50 amp unmetered space, (electricity is included in the daily/weekly rate) IMO, you can use all the plugs available at the pedestal in YOUR campsite. You can add additional extension cords, if needed. If the campground owner/manager complains, have them move you to (or charge you for) a larger service/space. (which will, most likely, be more expensive) Do not attempt to argue with with people who do not understand how electricity works. Simply move to another campground.

You have it backwards.

If you are paying a metered rate, as long as all the plugs go thru the meter and it doesn't start popping breakers, use what you want...you will pay for what you use.

For short term non-metered sites, they typically ask what your RV is (30 or 50 amp). Also, if you read the fine print on the rental agreement, it often mentions using additional outlets. So the owner would be very much within their rights to limit usage to a single outlet.

You might get away with it but that doesn't make it right.

I don't think its a matter of getting away with it. If the outlets are available I have no hesitancy to use them.
However the CG owner has the right to charge extra or ban additional cords. In the end it's their CG and their rules.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/21 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

I don't think its a matter of getting away with it. If the outlets are available I have no hesitancy to use them.
However the CG owner has the right to charge extra or ban additional cords. In the end it's their CG and their rules.

If you check with the owner and they don't care or charge you a separate fee, go for it.

If you are running something minor like awning lights that draw very little (say 50w for 3-4hr in the evening), they probably aren't going to care but if everyone is running a 1.5kw heater (in addition to maxing out their 30amp), if it's running say 20hr per day, that's 30kw-hr/day (on the second plug). At 20c per kw-hr that's $6 of electricity extra. If you have 100 sites doing this, it's $600/day the owner is losing...or $18,000 per month.

While that's a bit of an higher end example, even if it's half that, you can see where owners may not take kindly to abusing the available power.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

If you check with the owner and they don't care or charge you a separate fee, go for it.

If you are running something minor like awning lights that draw very little (say 50w for 3-4hr in the evening), they probably aren't going to care but if everyone is running a 1.5kw heater (in addition to maxing out their 30amp), if it's running say 20hr per day, that's 30kw-hr/day (on the second plug). At 20c per kw-hr that's $6 of electricity extra. If you have 100 sites doing this, it's $600/day the owner is losing...or $18,000 per month.

While that's a bit of an higher end example, even if it's half that, you can see where owners may not take kindly to abusing the available power.

I'm not in denial that it doesn't cost the CG more. Hwevrer for the most part these cost are negligible. For every guy running a 2nd codr there is someone staying in a tent or someone gone for the day and using minimal electric.
If electric cost where truly a profit and loss nightmare CG's would go to a metered format. However most do not simply because its not necessary. They set a price a build in a can't lose allowance for electric.
Now I agree there are CG's with wiring issues and CG's that feel they are being taking advantage of that prohibit 2nd cords.
My current rig is 50 amp so I can run a couple of space heaters microwave etc. with no issues.
Occasionally I end up on a 30 amp site, when 50 amp site are unavailable. Many state parks have only 30 amp sites.
In this scenario, I will use a 2nd cord to run my 2nd A/C when required.
I have my A/C wired through a transfer switch that allows me to chose 2nd cord circuit or internal (normal) 50 amp circuit.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/21 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

I'm not in denial that it doesn't cost the CG more. Hwevrer for the most part these cost are negligible. For every guy running a 2nd codr there is someone staying in a tent or someone gone for the day and using minimal electric.
If electric cost where truly a profit and loss nightmare CG's would go to a metered format. However most do not simply because its not necessary. They set a price a build in a can't lose allowance for electric.
Now I agree there are CG's with wiring issues and CG's that feel they are being taking advantage of that prohibit 2nd cords.
My current rig is 50 amp so I can run a couple of space heaters microwave etc. with no issues.
Occasionally I end up on a 30 amp site, when 50 amp site are unavailable. Many state parks have only 30 amp sites.
In this scenario, I will use a 2nd cord to run my 2nd A/C when required.
I have my A/C wired through a transfer switch that allows me to chose 2nd cord circuit or internal (normal) 50 amp circuit.

When electricity is included in the overnight rates, the owner has factored that into the pricing. 50amp sites are almost always higher priced and one of the big reasons for that is 50amp rigs use more power. Likewise, tent sites are often lower cost.

For an individual renter, $6/night may sound negligible but when you multiply that out over 30 days per month and dozens of sites, it quickly becomes very significant for the owner.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Is this doable or am I overlooking something??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.