cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me plan my trip please! RI, DE and MD

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
It’s that time of year for us to plan our 2 week camping trip in July. We go the first couple week of July every year.
We’ve been to much of the northeast/Cape Cod already, but haven’t been to the Rhode Island, Delaware or Maryland. We plan on spending 4 days or so in each State.

Looking for waterfront campgrounds and must see/do things.

We usually concentrate on National Parks, but there aren’t any in these states (we’ve been to Acadia).

I have kids that are 9, 14 and 16 and we love hiking, scenic drives, anything outside adventurous as well as usually tourist trap and such.

Any help is appreciated!
Jerry

TV : 2021 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost Max Tow
TT : 2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
Weigh Safe True Tow hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd
16 REPLIES 16

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For questions like this I always recommend doing a Google search for `________ tourism' and put the city, state, area in the blank and read what the experts recommend.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
alesis wrote:
Thanks for all the info y’all, keep it comin!

When we're planning a trip we use Trip Advisor to look up things to do and where to eat and use Allstays Campgrounds to locate nearby cgs.

For things to do and where to eat we also talk to the locals. With the children being older get them to look at Tripadvisor together with you and help in picking out things to see and do.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info y’all, keep it comin!
Jerry

TV : 2021 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost Max Tow
TT : 2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
Weigh Safe True Tow hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Assateague State and National Park. National campground has a bunch of loops.No hookups but semi warm water showers and several loops generators are allowed. The thing we liked about that was the ranger programs were really good in the summer.And of course there's the beach and the horses. The state park has one loop with electric but that's tough to get into.You're close enough to Ocean City to drive in and go to the board walk.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take the kids to see Niagara Falls. Our families love to visit every few years.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
In MD, Greenbriar State Park near Hagerstown is convenient to the Appalachian Trail, the C and O National Park (hiking and biking), and the Antietam Battlefield. Could day trip to Gettysburg, as well, if you are into the Civil War. Other private RV parks near Williamsport would also be central to these attractions.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We did a 3 week excursion up to ME, RI, MA, DE and MD several years ago. We stayed at Ginny B's in Foster, RI. It had a large pond that my daughters enjoyed fishing in. They caught and released a couple of fish. It was not far from whatever Interstate we were driving on (sorry, it's been a while). There were lots of seasonal campers there, but they were all nice and welcoming. We were invited to dinner at one of our closest neighbors.

In Maryland, I will suggest Point Lookout SP. It is at the very tip end of Southern Maryland (not on the DELMARVA peninsula) and is on the Chesapeake Bay, where the Potomac runs into it. There is lots of paddling on both the Potomac and the Chesapeake, as well as their lake. Being on the water, it is very buggy, but we had such a great time. (We hosted there for 3 summers in a row). My daughters were 6 and 9 when we started going and absolutely LOVED the Nature Center in the park. It had lots of programs specifically for under 12 kids.

If you are wanting to get to the DELMARVA peninsula, the Delaware Seashore SP is right on the water. Not a lot of shade, but it is centrally located between Rehobeth Beach, DE and Ocean City, MD. Lots and lots of great seafood is available within a 15 minute drive from the SP.

If you haven't Assateague and Chincoteague areas are definitely worth visiting with the wild ponies. The time you are planning to be there would be during the running of the ponies, so it might be hard to get a reservation. If you are unfamiliar with that, just google it. It's worth seeing.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
In MD, rocky gap state park, a small campground just north of baltimore that has waterfront spots.
bumpy

You maybe thinking of Bar Harbor or Elk Neck State Park.
Rocky Gap is not north of Baltimore. Rocky Gap is in western MD about 20 miles east of Cumberland.

thanks, I corrected my post. IIRC rocky gap has hiking trails and a golf course. Not for this trip or kids, there is/was a small campground reached by exiting at the rocky gap exit and following that road North into PA a short distance. sort of laid back and red necky, where I parked my motor home for one summer. I didn't know protocol there so when I went to the evening get together, etc., I hid my Budweiser can with a coke over wrap. then a fella sat down at our table and plunked a fifth of whiskey down on the table so that defined the standard. 🙂
bumpy

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are you looking for in Maryland? We've got western MD with mountains, southern MD with rivers, central MD with DC and Annapolis, eastern shore and beaches. If you can tell what you are looking for, we can give better suggestions. Rocky Gap state park in Western MD is very pretty. Elk Neck in Northern MD is nice as well. I can recommend other private parks, depending upon what you want out of your trip.

Delaware is great for beaches. Cape Henlopen State Park is a great state park nestled in the pines with beach access and lots of hiking trails. Its relatively close to Lewes with is a cool little area with restaurants and shopping. Delaware Seashore State Park is where we usually go, it is literally a series of roads and RV pads in the sand, very close to the beach. Full hookup sites, no shade and a short walk to a nice beach. Short drive to more traditional beach towns of Bethany (more small town family friendly), Dewey (more bars and condos) and Rehoboth (larger, but still family friendly, lots of restaurants/t-shirt stores/arcades/etc).
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
In MD, rocky gap state park, a small campground just north of baltimore that has waterfront spots.
bumpy

You maybe thinking of Bar Harbor or Elk Neck State Park.
Rocky Gap is not north of Baltimore. Rocky Gap is in western MD about 20 miles east of Cumberland.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

poorboy
Explorer
Explorer
can't help you with RI, but Delaware I would say Indian River Inlet at Delaware Seashore State Park. campground is a little nicer and newer on the north side of the bridge. As for Maryland, I'd go a little further south to Chincoteague, Va. to Toms Cove. I have 2 younger brothers each have their own tt and families, and we use these parks every year. Toms cove does not take plastic. they will make reservations and take a check. have fun.
2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
In MD, rocky gap state park,in western maryland and also a small campground just north of baltimore that has waterfront spots, bar harbor.
bumpy

clarified my post

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Normally, I would recommend Chincoteague/Assateague island as others have and then down to Williamsburg Va for the historic areas as well as Busch Gardens/Water Country USA, maybe even staying at Newport News Park.
But we still dont know what will be open, Md and RI are some of the more restrictive states, they may not be good choices this year, or at the least access to many attractions may be spotty.
Since your in Detroit, a trip to the west,, The Dakotas, Mt, even Wyoming may be a safer bet on having your plans stay intact.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Have you been to Washington, DC? There are a few campground options within reasonable distance of Metro stations; the least expensive option is Greenbelt National Park, which is closed to vehicle traffic for some renovation and road work but they say should reopen this spring. Their sites have no hookups. It's maybe a half hour to 45 minute walk to the nearest station. Other good options are Cherry Hill campground (which very much caters to DC tourists and gets good reviews) and the Lake Fairfax county park.