Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Help me plan my trip please! RI, DE and MD
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Help me plan my trip please! RI, DE and MD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
alesis

Detroit area

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s that time of year for us to plan our 2 week camping trip in July. We go the first couple week of July every year.
We’ve been to much of the northeast/Cape Cod already, but haven’t been to the Rhode Island, Delaware or Maryland. We plan on spending 4 days or so in each State.

Looking for waterfront campgrounds and must see/do things.

We usually concentrate on National Parks, but there aren’t any in these states (we’ve been to Acadia).

I have kids that are 9, 14 and 16 and we love hiking, scenic drives, anything outside adventurous as well as usually tourist trap and such.

Any help is appreciated!

Jerry

TV : 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins diesel
TT : 2006 Crossroads Zinger ZT-320-QB
Equal-I-Zer hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd

Romer1

Bolingbrook, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/21 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's one possibility:

https://www.nps.gov/asis/index.htm

Wild horses come right up to your RV.

Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited(toad)

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/21 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try booking in RI Fishermen's Memorial State Park and Campground, down the road is the beaches in Narragansett. If you bring bikes, you can bike down the road to the ferry and take it over to scenic Block Island and bike the island, lots of touristy shops and restaurants to get a bite to eat. Day trips to Newport Mansions and Mystic Seaport CT, about 40 minutes away. Check out USS NAUTILUS museum in New London, CT

Assateague State Park in MD, mostly dry camping but does have 2 small electric loops... tough to get a site if you can but well worth it!! Wild horses everywhere, beaches, biking, walking trails and kayaking (rentals)

Mike

* This post was edited 01/18/21 08:40am by mdcamping *

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you been to Washington, DC? There are a few campground options within reasonable distance of Metro stations; the least expensive option is Greenbelt National Park, which is closed to vehicle traffic for some renovation and road work but they say should reopen this spring. Their sites have no hookups. It's maybe a half hour to 45 minute walk to the nearest station. Other good options are Cherry Hill campground (which very much caters to DC tourists and gets good reviews) and the Lake Fairfax county park.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Normally, I would recommend Chincoteague/Assateague island as others have and then down to Williamsburg Va for the historic areas as well as Busch Gardens/Water Country USA, maybe even staying at Newport News Park.
But we still dont know what will be open, Md and RI are some of the more restrictive states, they may not be good choices this year, or at the least access to many attractions may be spotty.
Since your in Detroit, a trip to the west,, The Dakotas, Mt, even Wyoming may be a safer bet on having your plans stay intact.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In MD, rocky gap state park,in western maryland and also a small campground just north of baltimore that has waterfront spots, bar harbor.
bumpy

clarified my post

* This post was edited 01/18/21 04:06pm by Bumpyroad *

poorboy

newark,de. usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/21 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

can't help you with RI, but Delaware I would say Indian River Inlet at Delaware Seashore State Park. campground is a little nicer and newer on the north side of the bridge. As for Maryland, I'd go a little further south to Chincoteague, Va. to Toms Cove. I have 2 younger brothers each have their own tt and families, and we use these parks every year. Toms cove does not take plastic. they will make reservations and take a check. have fun.

2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

In MD, rocky gap state park, a small campground just north of baltimore that has waterfront spots.
bumpy

You maybe thinking of Bar Harbor or Elk Neck State Park.
Rocky Gap is not north of Baltimore. Rocky Gap is in western MD about 20 miles east of Cumberland.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/21 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are you looking for in Maryland? We've got western MD with mountains, southern MD with rivers, central MD with DC and Annapolis, eastern shore and beaches. If you can tell what you are looking for, we can give better suggestions. Rocky Gap state park in Western MD is very pretty. Elk Neck in Northern MD is nice as well. I can recommend other private parks, depending upon what you want out of your trip.

Delaware is great for beaches. Cape Henlopen State Park is a great state park nestled in the pines with beach access and lots of hiking trails. Its relatively close to Lewes with is a cool little area with restaurants and shopping. Delaware Seashore State Park is where we usually go, it is literally a series of roads and RV pads in the sand, very close to the beach. Full hookup sites, no shade and a short walk to a nice beach. Short drive to more traditional beach towns of Bethany (more small town family friendly), Dewey (more bars and condos) and Rehoboth (larger, but still family friendly, lots of restaurants/t-shirt stores/arcades/etc).

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

In MD, rocky gap state park, a small campground just north of baltimore that has waterfront spots.
bumpy

You maybe thinking of Bar Harbor or Elk Neck State Park.
Rocky Gap is not north of Baltimore. Rocky Gap is in western MD about 20 miles east of Cumberland.

thanks, I corrected my post. IIRC rocky gap has hiking trails and a golf course. Not for this trip or kids, there is/was a small campground reached by exiting at the rocky gap exit and following that road North into PA a short distance. sort of laid back and red necky, where I parked my motor home for one summer. I didn't know protocol there so when I went to the evening get together, etc., I hid my Budweiser can with a coke over wrap. then a fella sat down at our table and plunked a fifth of whiskey down on the table so that defined the standard. [emoticon]
bumpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Help me plan my trip please! RI, DE and MD
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.