cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full time with DirectTV

rklyon
Explorer
Explorer
I just spent an hour going in circles with DirectTV representatives trying to explain that I am going full time and will not have a home with a dish. I don't know if it was the language barrier or just ignorance but I am not sure what is going to happen to my satellite service. Does anyone have a clue of how I can contact the right people at direct tv to resolve this issue?
33 REPLIES 33

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
propchef wrote:
Question from a n00b.

Does everyone have TV (Dish, DirecTv) separately from their internet service? If yes, why?

When ATT bought DirecTv service went downhill overnight and we dumped them after more than 15 years. We switched to Roku (not recommended) and finally YouTubeTV which is internet based and has more channels with a lower cost than either DTV or Dish, and has all of your local stations as well.

$.02

We have Dish Network for our TV viewing and use Verizon for our Phone/Internet service. This way, as long as we have cell service we also have internet. Most RV Parks offer internet but in reality, in most cases it is not very reliable or secure, and with limited band width. The more people on line at the same time the slower the system runs. This works for us. Goodluck!
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
propchef wrote:
Question from a n00b.

Does everyone have TV (Dish, DirecTv) separately from their internet service? If yes, why?

When ATT bought DirecTv service went downhill overnight and we dumped them after more than 15 years. We switched to Roku (not recommended) and finally YouTubeTV which is internet based and has more channels with a lower cost than either DTV or Dish, and has all of your local stations as well.

$.02

Being mobile (considering this is an RV forum) watching TV via internet when no internet service is available is highly frustrating! Since most all mobile internet plans have pretty stiff limitations on their unlimited plans, even if you have service you will likely run out of service long before the month is over if that's your main source of TV programming. We are currently in PA spending the night with ZERO OTA channels available. We are very happy with our DTV service and we will be able to use our "unlimited" data to make this post.

So you full time with Direct TV, do you own or lease your equipment? Do you have the option of canceling your service for a period of time without cost, if you are in a location where you canโ€™t get service due to trees or hills.

All DTV receivers are leased. I have no need to ever cancel service as I am truly full time. My RV is my only residence. I have only been in a place where trees blocked my service a handful of times in 20 years so I am not really concerned. I watch OTA TV for some local news and then watch something I have recorded on my Genie.
DTV used to offer suspension of up to 6 months per year but turning it on and off for short periods of time would likely not provide any savings.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
propchef wrote:
Question from a n00b.

$.02

Being mobile (considering this is an RV forum) watching TV via internet when no internet service is available is highly frustrating! Since most all mobile internet plans have pretty stiff limitations on their unlimited plans, even if you have service you will likely run out of service long before the month is over if that's your main source of TV programming. We are currently in PA spending the night with ZERO OTA channels available. We are very happy with our DTV service and we will be able to use our "unlimited" data to make this post.

I have been full time with DTV since 2010 and it continues to work well. I originally had a residential account and converted it to an RV account when I went full time. I use a tripod/slimline dish and can set it up and aim in minutes (practice makes perfect). No high $$$ signal meter either. I use the meter built into my DTV receiver and a wireless baby monitor when out at the dish. Takes minutes and I'm good to go. I do have DNS which has been a bit spotty recently especially with ABC, but overall I'm happy with DTV. Is it as good as it was prior to AT&T - definitely not.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
propchef wrote:

and some plans allow completely unlimited streaming of Netflix or other service.

We have similar plans. When we can get high signal levels, we can stream some things. Never been able to stream a full movie. Even the few times we have been able to get 5G (we have 5G hotspots for AT&T which is never throttled, and Verizon, which is throttled after 50GB per month.

The problem is not the plan, but cell tower access, strength.

We noticed a significant decline this past April and May which we learned was due to all of the children moving to remote classes from home. We also learned the carriers were working to program their services to give those kids priority to bandwidth.

Personally, I think that was a good move, though I would have liked some official notice. Maybe even a small drop in my monthly cost.

Many places we can see 4 bars of 4G LTE, and even a web site like this one barely crawls. But at other times, like 2 am, it is blazing fast.

Frankly, my opinion is that the carriers simply do not have enough towers, cells and other infrastructure such as the microwave or land lines from the towers to the central switches to support the usage people want.

I do miss the fiber-optic bandwidth and speed I had in my last
B/M home. A few times we have been in a park where we could arrange a high speed modem wired link. Those were wonderful.

Park WiFi - first answer - at many parks the telco simply does not have the wired infrastructure to support a few hundred people trying to stream video. The park can have the best setup and equipment in the park, but they can't get 1000 GPM of water out of a 100 GPM sized pipe.

Content providers are always pushing up their bandwidth demands, and they are always ahead of the infrastructure capability in my experience.

Really great answer and addresses many of my questions. Thank you for typing that out!

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
propchef wrote:

and some plans allow completely unlimited streaming of Netflix or other service.

We have similar plans. When we can get high signal levels, we can stream some things. Never been able to stream a full movie. Even the few times we have been able to get 5G (we have 5G hotspots for AT&T which is never throttled, and Verizon, which is throttled after 50GB per month.

The problem is not the plan, but cell tower access, strength.

We noticed a significant decline this past April and May which we learned was due to all of the children moving to remote classes from home. We also learned the carriers were working to program their services to give those kids priority to bandwidth.

Personally, I think that was a good move, though I would have liked some official notice. Maybe even a small drop in my monthly cost.

Many places we can see 4 bars of 4G LTE, and even a web site like this one barely crawls. But at other times, like 2 am, it is blazing fast.

Frankly, my opinion is that the carriers simply do not have enough towers, cells and other infrastructure such as the microwave or land lines from the towers to the central switches to support the usage people want.

I do miss the fiber-optic bandwidth and speed I had in my last
B/M home. A few times we have been in a park where we could arrange a high speed modem wired link. Those were wonderful.

Park WiFi - first answer - at many parks the telco simply does not have the wired infrastructure to support a few hundred people trying to stream video. The park can have the best setup and equipment in the park, but they can't get 1000 GPM of water out of a 100 GPM sized pipe.

Content providers are always pushing up their bandwidth demands, and they are always ahead of the infrastructure capability in my experience.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
propchef wrote:
Not sure I understand... DTV doesn't offer internet service.

Correct, although they used to and the latency was brutal.

As someone getting into this lifestyle, connectivity is one of my questions. To me it didn't seem to make sense to pay for two separate services when there are a number of good internet providers that deliver services like Roku, Hulu, and YouTubeTv. DirecTV seems superfluous.

We have an over-55 unlimited plan and can usually stream HD with no problems, and some plans allow completely unlimited streaming of Netflix or other service.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

So you full time with Direct TV, do you own or lease your equipment? Do you have the option of canceling your service for a period of time without cost, if you are in a location where you canโ€™t get service due to trees or hills.

Trees and hills - that's why we have 150' of cable. And we have used that much at times to get a signal during baseball season!

Direct TV you rent the equipment. Direct doesn't have the option for suspending for a few months, but if you are full timing why would you?

Do you understand that full-timing means you don't live in a house, you get your internet via MiFis with data plans that usually limit you to 25-30 G per month and more and more people have at least 2 data plans, one from AT&T and one from Verizon to cover them when they travel. This is in addition to whatever they have for the phones.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
propchef wrote:
Not sure I understand... DTV doesn't offer internet service.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
propchef wrote:
Question from a n00b.

$.02

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
propchef wrote:
Question from a n00b.

$.02

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Question from a n00b.

$.02

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I was not clear.

I know thousands of people have Direct, without B/M homes.

I am speaking of new accounts. People who have not had Direct before they dropped U-Verse subscribers and and AT&T started to remove content produced/ owned by Time Warner from competing platforms.

Fall of 2017.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I so would love to jump in here but there's so much bad information and so much off topic (DISH side bars) it's hard to know where to begin. We have been successful DTV users (fulltimers) since 2000. It's really not a big deal. Get a Trav'ler installed on your RV, move your DTV receivers to the RV. DONE!

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I have found with Dish Customer Service - to go directly to the Chat option. They may not be able to speak/ understand English well, but most appear to be able to read it well.

Also, I have yet found anyone in the Direct TV system who thinks full-time RV with no fixed location is possible.

I really miss HBO.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab