cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DYI Electric brakes

Jim_and_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Preparing for a cross country 12,500 mi. Currently have about 15K on them now. Any suggestions welcomed of what I should look for when I pull the wheels and inspect .
12 REPLIES 12

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Simplest method to verify brakes are working is to use a compass. with the brakes engaged, the north needle will lock onto that wheels magnet.

What if I have to stop while traveling any direction other than north? ๐Ÿ™‚

That sounds like a person I was traveling with one time that couldn't figure out why the campgrounds only had sites facing East, West and South non facing North. LOL

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Simplest method to verify brakes are working is to use a compass. with the brakes engaged, the north needle will lock onto that wheels magnet.

What if I have to stop while traveling any direction other than north? ๐Ÿ™‚
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Adjust electric drum brakes every. 2k miles, even if the mfgr says they are self adjusting. We have poor experience with self adjusters
. Have a helper apply the brakes in the tow, its better than pulling the pin on the breakaway switch. use a V/A meter to insure application at each wheel. Volts and amps. Undersize or poor connections in wiring will still show voltage but not the amperage to fully engage the brake.
12 v dc needs a fat wire with strong connections to carry the current to those magnets.

I held my iPhone up to the wheel and the compass did nuthin'...

Just kidding - using a compass is a great tip thanks.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^ Good advice^^^^^^

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Planning a long trip? Or any trip? I always think about what can stop the trailer from being towed. 1)Tires 2)lights 3)bearings 4)brakes 5)accident
(1) Carry a spare, and the tools to change. Also the understanding that the spare is not to get me home, but to a place to get the tire fixed or replaced.
(2)Lights, I carry replacement bulbs spare plug and socket, some wire, tools to diagnose and fix any problem I could have.
(3)Bearings are maintained more often than needed. And when I pack the bearings, I pack a extra set, and put them in the WB grease tub, and in the incase box. Races, seals, cotter pins, nut and washers, well packed in a box also go for a ride. Of course, I have tools and knowhow to change if needed.
(4) brakes. Shoes and drums are wear items, and if inspected when doing bearings, are unlikely to fail. Springs will last the life of shoes if shoes stay in adjustment. Magnets, the wire could break off, but if you pay attention to how routed, it is unlikely. If it does, I have a spare. Any other brake problems can be fixed with same tool and skill set as lights.
(5)Accident is the hard one. By keeping up on the others on the list, and understanding that I'm not the best driver on the road, I must pay attention, I have so far avoided that issue
Many people, including my wife, think I carry so much, I must expect to have trouble. But in millions of miles of driving, other than a burned out light, I have never had all the tools and parts to properly do the repair. So I think more things I can fix, less likely to have trouble. Often I have managed so get things rigged to get home.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brakes, Hubs, Bearings etc Manual/Info
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Clean all grease from bearings, pack with quality synthetic grease and use US Made National/SKF seals then adjust brakes.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Adjust electric drum brakes every. 2k miles, even if the mfgr says they are self adjusting. We have poor experience with self adjusters
. Have a helper apply the brakes in the tow, its better than pulling the pin on the breakaway switch. use a V/A meter to insure application at each wheel. Volts and amps. Undersize or poor connections in wiring will still show voltage but not the amperage to fully engage the brake.
12 v dc needs a fat wire with strong connections to carry the current to those magnets.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
take the time to pull the drums and inspect shoes, drums, bearings and magnets. Also at least clean and repack bearings. Along side the road in Timbuktu is no place to be broke down because of lack of maintenance

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do they seem to work? Otherwise simply adjust and go.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
With only 15K on them your brakes should still be in very good condition. If you have standard wheel bearings then it's time to clean and repack them.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Repack all bearings. Check brake magnets. There are wear indicators on contact surfaces. Check brake shoes for wear. Adjust brakes as needed. I learned how to do all this from Youtube.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)