cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass Pike Boston to Venice FL

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
Need good routing for car trip actually to Venice FL. We have done 95 and it is deadly traffic getting into NY, then Baltimore was killer traffic and Wash DC was horrible traffic so thinking we will go 84 to 78 to 81 and then need routing. Go 64 or 77 over to 95? How about going thru or around Richmond? etc. WE have done SC a few times but never straight to FL.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers
17 REPLIES 17

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
RVER wrote:
Anyone go 81 to 66 to 234 to 95 down to FL and then a route down to Venice? 77 is pretty far down 81 before crossing over to 95 and it looks like more miles than 66?
Yes. I live in Richmond and that is my route north and south. Rt. 234 is 4 lanes mostly. Also I-95 through Richmond is a piece of cake. Even rush hour doesn't come close to being a PITA when compared to DC, Baltimore, et. al. (I also take Rt.15 out of Harrisburg to Rt.17 to 95.)

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Best route no question is 81,77, 26, 95.....I have used them all. 66 isn't bad but brings you north of Richmond

Ok ever....out of Mass on 90 to 84 straight thru Hartford...which is ok to Newburgh NY to 87 South to Sufferin to 287 west for 45 miles to 78 west
78 to 81 to Wyhnesville,VA to 77 South
At Columbia,SC to 20 west
In!Madison ,Ga..take x113 rt 83 for 48miles to 75 straight down to Viene....great ride..enjoy...C
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
THANKS Y'all, this helps a lot.IF anyone has anymore ideas I am up for them!!
S and S Co-Travelers

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
2Retired that is too much switching back and forth etc. WE avoid 95 like the plague, so we go out 84 to 81 via 78. WAS just wondering if people use 66 or 77 and most use 77. I was told once that 66 MUCH better but from this string of replies sounds like 6 of one and half dozen of another and we are doing it in a car this time. USUALLY we go in MH or Fiver but this time in car.
S and S Co-Travelers

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice back up at the Nice bridge since it is now one way. Crossed it 30 min ago. No fun. They are building a new bridge it looks like. Fifty years ago there were 51 traffic lights from rat 50 down to the bridge, about 50mi. Many more now. Forget that route.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Do not know how you are planning to avoid 95 through NYC and North Jersey, but IF you find yourself crossing over the Delaware Memorial Bridge into Delaware, there is an excellent opportunity to totally avoid Baltimore, Washington DC and Richmond traffic. Once you cross the bridge, Its I 295, which merges into I 95 S for a very short while. Just stay right after the toll and pick up Delaware Rt 1 to US Rt 301 (It's a toll road for a short while - the new section which bypasses a lot of local traffic -f or us its worth every penny). Stay on US 301 South through Delaware and Maryland. You'll cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (NOT the Bridge Tunnel) Continue onto 301. It will merge with U S 50. When they split, stay on US 301 South. You will cross into Va on the "Nice Bridge" (not really so nice in an RV, but we've done it numerous times in our Class A!) Continue on 301 South to Bowling Green, Va - You'll pick up Va RT 207 there (a sign for I 95 is visible). Follow that for about 10 miles to I 95 South around exit 104 (Reuther Glen). Take that to I 295 S, exit 84 towards Mechanicsville. That will take you around both Richmond and Petersburg. Driving through Richmond on I95 in an RV is not something I would ever suggest! 295 merges back into 95 S around exit 46. Don't know if this is helpful, but it's the way we always went when we lived on the Jersey Shore. You miss all of the Baltimore/DC/Richmond/Petersburg traffic.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Its all about timing. You can do the 95 boogie but need to time your self around the major cities. Up early stop mid afternoon and go again. When Towing we have taken 78 to 81 sb to 66 to 95. Brings us out near Fredericksburg where we bed down for the night. That's the hardest part of the trip. Wake up and head dwon 95. 77 takes you further west to make the cut over. As you pointed out the biggest issue is around the major cities. Last sb trip while towing we left Long Island 3 am and were in fbergs around 1:30. took a power nap went to dinner then shoved off the next morning after bfast and it was easy sailing.

Hope that helps
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it is 81 to 77 and 95 I like to avoid fog and traffic and that is why I do not go straight down 95, NY, Baltimore and DC traffic is HORRIBLE or at least was but with pandemic may not be so bad? Anyway, if anyone hears of bad roads etc please let me know. I am too **** old to sit in traffic for hours which has happened to us. IF we were traveling alone, we would just get up and get through NY by about 7 so would miss high traffic and also miss rush hour in Baltimore and probably in DC and someone once told me you take a road around Baltimore like 295? on the EAST side? And for DC there is 495m0or 695 something like that and do the Northside of the road, I think. BUT we are not alone so we are going out to 81 via 78 because the 84 all the way out to 81 is one LONG road so changing roads is good and then we end up on 81 lower anyway,near Hershey get on 81. 77 sounds like consensus.
S and S Co-Travelers

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
RVER wrote:
Anyone go 81 to 66 to 234 to 95 down to FL and then a route down to Venice? 77 is pretty far down 81 before crossing over to 95 and it looks like more miles than 66?
Not since I got slightly smarter in my old age, nothing wrong with 66, i use it myself, but I take 17 which brings you back to 95 farther south, around Fredricksburg, but now that area of 95 is under constuction.
Not sure what your hurry to get on 95 is, but I'd stick to the 81/77 route.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
According to Google Maps, the I-77/I-26 and I-66 variants are virtually identical in length (they differ by one mile).

The descent at Fancy Gap on I-77 can on occasion be quite foggy. If they have reduced speed limits posted (there are electronic variable speed limit signs in that area), don't ignore them.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Best route no question is 81,77, 26, 95.....I have used them all. 66 isn't bad but brings you north of Richmond

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
BUKHRN I was thinking 84 and going around Hartford on Charter Oak Br to 91 to 684 to 84 to I think it is 287 to 78 and out to 81. I was definitely thinking we took 66 across to 95 but people are talking about 77 but looks further. NOT SURE of course given I do not have knowledge of doing it that way and it may be a better way.
S and S Co-Travelers

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
S and S Co-Travelers

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
If the weather is threatening I get off I/84 at the first PA exit and take US 209 to I/80 to PA 33 to I/78 then to I/81 south (it's mostly flat). This eliminates PA mountains with fog and snow. Nice weather I/84 to I/81.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew